People who don't get it but think they do.

Options
1235»

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Whenever I've lost weight I've been asked how I did it, and their eyes glazed over when I said that I just ate less and moved more. CICO just isn't exciting enough, people expect it to be jazzed up with food group restrictions etc, because then it might be easier to do.

One of my friends lost a lot of weight recently and I didn't say anything because I know we have totally different attitudes to weight loss. Now she's maintaining on mfp though, so I'm happy to ask how that's going and happy to see she's chosen a logical form of maintenance that shouldn't threaten her health. I was worried when she lost weight before, but hopefully this is a long term maintenance phase, and this time I chose to shut my mouth and respect her choices.

You can't control other people but you can control your reactions and how seriously you take them. Do listen, because they may have a point sometimes, but don't let it get to you when your opinions differ.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It's not trolling.
    You need to just be more open minded and accept that your thought isn't the only thought.
    I've never had any of my friends ask me anything about what I ate, how much I ate, etc.
    Because I don't bring it up to them. I don't bring it up to anyone.
    In return, no one brings it up to me.

If you would stop bringing it up, then people would stop making comments you don't want to hear.
    Welcome to life, where there are other opinions.

Some people require human contact. How very nice for you that you don't.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's not trolling.
    You need to just be more open minded and accept that your thought isn't the only thought.
    I've never had any of my friends ask me anything about what I ate, how much I ate, etc.
    Because I don't bring it up to them. I don't bring it up to anyone.
    In return, no one brings it up to me.

If you would stop bringing it up, then people would stop making comments you don't want to hear.
    Welcome to life, where there are other opinions.

Some people require human contact. How very nice for you that you don't.
    Then those people shouldn't complain when they get contact.
    I don't have to shove my weight loss in their face to talk to them.
    That comment was beyond dumb.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is almost as *kitten* as mine, pizza anyone?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You know, I find this to be the hardest part of this journey. I always want to talk to people about it and nobody really gets it. Either that or they get bored of the topic super quick while it continues to consume my whole day every day.

I think that's what this community is supposed to be for...to talk to people who get it but I suppose empathy is a skill set that isn't learned by everyone.

You can message me any time...I get it, I'll read about how horrible it was when you forgot to plan on advance and had no calories left at dinner time, or how sick of spinach you are...I can empathize. I'll tell you about having to eat some altered version of what I make for the family or how the number on the scale hasn't moved in 2 weeks even though I keep plugging away at it
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think family, friends, coworkers, etc that don't have fitness goals can sometimes be toxic. I try not to explain my goals or what I am eating to people anymore because thinner people gave me awful advice of "what works for them" just because they weren't fat (yet). I was a chubby girl and teen and ended up very heavy at the end of college. I now weigh less than I did in jr. high. I had to stop listening to people and just let my actions show my effort. People suck. I was dissuaded from lifting by people, told I should do more cardio, put on slimfast by my mother (at 12 years old), given diet pills by another family member, given money to lose weight by my grandfather, etc. When I focused on me and actual science and cut out that external noise, I lost over 60 lbs. I understand your frustration. People aren't always encouraging or when they are it can be for doing unhealthy things. Do your best to block them out. If you can, find people with similar goals and methods. Best of luck!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.