Manners

Options

Replies

• JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Clearly people in this thread don't know what the definition of rude is; they just don't know what to call their own irrational annoyances.

rude
    [rood]
    adjective, ruder, rudest.
    discourteous or impolite, especially in a deliberate way:

Are people that eat in a grocery store deliberately being discourteous or impolite? no. Do they even know that you exist? No.

Who is winning here? The eaters, because they're happy and eating while you are stressing over things that are out of your control. Again, their eating isn't an issue, it's just one of many things (I'm sure) that trigger an issue with you.

And hell, I don't even eat in grocery stores, I just can't fathom why people would be concerned with those that do. How sad.

THIS!!! <3
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    fit4itall wrote: »
    It bugs me, unless theres a kid 4 years old or less doing it. Id rather have them do that than screaming their irritating snot covered heads off.

This. I try to pack enough snacks, but I have had to open snacks in order to keep, I mean STOP my youngest from screaming her head off. I'm pretty sure her relentless shrill scream will annoy and actually cause physical pain (earaches) to way more people...and no, I will not leave the store/line.

Me either lady! Gotten some dirty looks but dang it, it needs to be done. I did once leave but only temporarily. Gave her a time out in the car then came on back to try again. She was in truly rare form, never seen a fit like that again that's for sure.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    Photoman62 wrote: »
    Huge pet peeve of mine. Last year while shopping at Costco, a woman and her husband were buying strawberries and they had 3 clamshells open and picking the best ones from 2 of them and exchanging with the ones they were going to buy. Rude and totally classless.

Sorry but I disagree with this. If you're paying for a box of berries it is totally your right to know that you're actually getting the berries that you're paying for. The way those clam shells are packed and the handling they undergo always turns about 1/3 to 1/2 of them into disgusting mushy rotten or mouldy messes before they can be bought. All those customers are doing is making sure that they are getting what they are paying for. They aren't actually hurting anyone else because no one has to buy the berries they leave behind. I can understand why it might bug you but I can't see why the people doing it are either rude or classless.

Haha I agree. I actually asked my produce guy, we talk every time I shop on Sundays. He's taught me a lot about buying the best veggies and now fruit that summer is here. I asked if I can open those pre done cherry bags and take just a few, and the answer is overwhelmingly yes. He said he's seen people with looks on their faces like they're stealing, you're not. He actually encouraged me to remove the unripe strawberries from the top row of a clamshell. I'm not going to stand there for 5 whole minutes trading berries but I did it in about a minute to keep on moving. He assured me it's 100% acceptable. You're paying for it, you get to pick out all your apples why not sub out a few berries? I don't mess around with yucky berries or cherries!
  • brb_2013
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Huge pet peeve of mine. Last year while shopping at Costco, a woman and her husband were buying strawberries and they had 3 clamshells open and picking the best ones from 2 of them and exchanging with the ones they were going to buy. Rude and totally classless.

Sorry but I disagree with this. If you're paying for a box of berries it is totally your right to know that you're actually getting the berries that you're paying for. The way those clam shells are packed and the handling they undergo always turns about 1/3 to 1/2 of them into disgusting mushy rotten or mouldy messes before they can be bought. All those customers are doing is making sure that they are getting what they are paying for. They aren't actually hurting anyone else because no one has to buy the berries they leave behind. I can understand why it might bug you but I can't see why the people doing it are either rude or classless.

I'm on board with wanting all the berries to be perfect but I can't really get on board with people *touching* all the berries to get that perfect assortment. Eggs are different because of the shell but berries? People eat the outside as well.

If you don't wash berries before you eat them, that's more strange than eating in a grocery store. Even organic berries need to be washed. The folks who picked them touched em too.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I do consider that behavior as rude. I can't imagine eating food through a store. Unless for medical reasons.

Am I going to correct you for it? No.
    Am I going to find an employee? No.
    Will I silently judge? Maybe if I noticed I'm usually too busy trying to get away from people to notice what the people are doing. But if I see you dump a bag of grapes out and then pick through the other bags then yes I will judge. Or if I see you throw your wrappers on the shelves.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,615 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

I'm on board with wanting all the berries to be perfect but I can't really get on board with people *touching* all the berries to get that perfect assortment. Eggs are different because of the shell but berries? People eat the outside as well.

If you don't wash berries before you eat them, that's more strange than eating in a grocery store. Even organic berries need to be washed. The folks who picked them touched em too.

I don't wash the berries before eating but I figure they have to go through some sort of washing process before hitting the store.

Also, once I saw someone apply suntan lotion to herself in the suntan lotion aisle in a Target. You think she was going to pay for it? Nope! :)
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Rude is if they took your bag of organic grapes and began eating them and the store expecting you to pay for it.

If I have a bag of anything in MY cart and I decide to munch on them that's my choice.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Have to say it never occurred to me that this was offensive to anyone.

So do you all just go straight to a grocery, spend 20 minutes in the store, then leave, presumably for home?

Because my days often don't work like that. The grocery could be my 3rd stop, might not be my last.

And if I'm really hungry or thirsty then I deal with it (water, single string cheese, protein bar) and I pay for that item with the rest of my purchase which could be as much as an hour later in a big store where I'm not just getting groceries. If I gotta go I do that at the start of my shop too.

I was actually at Meijer around an hour and a half this morning. Didn't eat anything there, but I was eating a Quest bar for breakfast in the car on the way to take my daughter some stuff she forgot and needed at school, before Meijier. Somehow ended up not having lunch at all.

Because shopping isn't that fun and being thirsty/hungry/needing to pee makes it less fun and more likely I will forget something or get something impulsive I don't really need.

Yeah, I guess I could walk a quarter mile back to the dairy case, get a string cheese, walk back up front, go through the line, and then shop. But I have better things to do with my time.

OT: So if it doesn't belong to you until you pay, does that mean that if you break it you don't have to pay for it because it wasn't yours yet?

Wait, is that before or after I sneakily put it back on the shelf while no one is looking? Or while the overworked and underpaid employee is looking but doesn't care?
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't wash the berries before eating but I figure they have to go through some sort of washing process before hitting the store.

I once read that for sealed packaged produce line spinach and such the process of cleaning at the processing plant is far better than what can be done at home.

Would i think the same of products line berries that can be opened before i get to them? Absolutely not.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Jpinpoint wrote: »
    Rude is if they took your bag of organic grapes and began eating them and the store expecting you to pay for it.

If I have a bag of anything in MY cart and I decide to munch on them that's my choice.

OMG, I'm so offended. I can't even. :p
  • glassyo
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »

I once read that for sealed packaged produce line spinach and such the process of cleaning at the processing plant is far better than what can be done at home.

Would i think the same of products line berries that can be opened before i get to them? Absolutely not.

LOL it definitely helps they have the whole "sealed" thing going for them. :)

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    LOL

bundysinsupermarket.jpg
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I thought about this discussion while I ate cookie dough in the store yesterday. It was still delicious.
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Have to say it never occurred to me that this was offensive to anyone.

So do you all just go straight to a grocery, spend 20 minutes in the store, then leave, presumably for home?

Because my days often don't work like that. The grocery could be my 3rd stop, might not be my last.

And if I'm really hungry or thirsty then I deal with it (water, single string cheese, protein bar) and I pay for that item with the rest of my purchase which could be as much as an hour later in a big store where I'm not just getting groceries. If I gotta go I do that at the start of my shop too.

I was actually at Meijer around an hour and a half this morning. Didn't eat anything there, but I was eating a Quest bar for breakfast in the car on the way to take my daughter some stuff she forgot and needed at school, before Meijier. Somehow ended up not having lunch at all.

Because shopping isn't that fun and being thirsty/hungry/needing to pee makes it less fun and more likely I will forget something or get something impulsive I don't really need.

Yeah, I guess I could walk a quarter mile back to the dairy case, get a string cheese, walk back up front, go through the line, and then shop. But I have better things to do with my time.

OT: So if it doesn't belong to you until you pay, does that mean that if you break it you don't have to pay for it because it wasn't yours yet?

Actually, that's correct! The whole thing about "you break it, you bought it" is not legally true. They can ask you to pay for it, but you don't have to. It's the right thing to do in my mind, but legally the issue is that they've put the item (especially breakables!) out. Once they do, and an accident happens, they are responsible for it, not you.

That said, I'd pay for anything that I accidentally broke!
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    LOL

bundysinsupermarket.jpg

This could be us but you won't answer all my messages : (
  • glassyo
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen anyone enforce the "you break it, you bought it" thing.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't think I would even notice if someone was doing this. Why? Because I'm doing my shopping and minding my own business. I only pay attention if your child is being obnoxious.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have broken plenty of things (oops) and never once have I been asked to pay for it. In fact, they won't even let you help clean it up if you offer.
  • brb_2013
    Options

Also, once I saw someone apply suntan lotion to herself in the suntan lotion aisle in a Target. You think she was going to pay for it? Nope! :)

Lol, no, they do not wash the berries for you....
    You may find pre washed salad mix or prechopped veggies, but you should definitely consider washing your produce.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Lol, no, they do not wash the berries for you....
    You may find pre washed salad mix or prechopped veggies, but you should definitely consider washing your produce.

I just figured if the produce grows in the dirt and doesn't have dirt on it by the time it arrives in the store...

Aw who am I kidding. I'm too damn lazy and figure I'm doing enough work eating the fruit and vegetables!