glassyo Posts: 7,612 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    Photoman62 wrote: »
    Huge pet peeve of mine. Last year while shopping at Costco, a woman and her husband were buying strawberries and they had 3 clamshells open and picking the best ones from 2 of them and exchanging with the ones they were going to buy. Rude and totally classless.

Sorry but I disagree with this. If you're paying for a box of berries it is totally your right to know that you're actually getting the berries that you're paying for. The way those clam shells are packed and the handling they undergo always turns about 1/3 to 1/2 of them into disgusting mushy rotten or mouldy messes before they can be bought. All those customers are doing is making sure that they are getting what they are paying for. They aren't actually hurting anyone else because no one has to buy the berries they leave behind. I can understand why it might bug you but I can't see why the people doing it are either rude or classless.

I'm on board with wanting all the berries to be perfect but I can't really get on board with people *touching* all the berries to get that perfect assortment. Eggs are different because of the shell but berries? People eat the outside as well.

If you don't wash berries before you eat them, that's more strange than eating in a grocery store. Even organic berries need to be washed. The folks who picked them touched em too.

I don't wash the berries before eating but I figure they have to go through some sort of washing process before hitting the store.

Also, once I saw someone apply suntan lotion to herself in the suntan lotion aisle in a Target. You think she was going to pay for it? Nope! :)

Lol, no, they do not wash the berries for you....
    You may find pre washed salad mix or prechopped veggies, but you should definitely consider washing your produce.

I just figured if the produce grows in the dirt and doesn't have dirt on it by the time it arrives in the store...

Aw who am I kidding. I'm too damn lazy and figure I'm doing enough work eating the fruit and vegetables!

LOL so true about not having dirt on it.