Bacon is not worth it

Options

Replies

• BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In my world Bacon is 46 calories a slice 4 x 46= 184 calories?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:

Is that like big pork chops that taste like bacon? OMG!
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I never thought id say that, but bqcon is not worth it. Too many calories. Im on a low calorie diet and 4 pieces of bacon has nearly 500 calories. Thats not enough food for that much of my daily allowance.

That's some very high calorie bacon there!

That was my thought. USDA lists bacon as 1 slice pan-fried (8g) as 43 calories. A few month ago I woke up on Saturday and was eating pork rinds for breakfast while watching "Bacon Paradise" on TV so then I had to have some bacon so I cooked up a 12 ounce pack of bacon so I had to log all of it. The ENTIRE 12 ounce package yielded 138g of crispy, porky, bacony, salty goodness. Punching it in with USDA numbers only came up to 725 calories.

Not sure what kinda bacon (or how thick it would have to be) to pull 125 calories per piece.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've wondered this about bacon. I live in Canada, but in a border city so I have easy access to US products. In Canada, this is the typical nutrition info for bacon:
    d8oan15ji1ff.png

This is the info for Oscar Mayer bacon (USA):
    zsnarhxoi6m6.png

The serving size for the Canadian one is for 50g of uncooked bacon, while the US is for 14g of cooked. It's so hard to compare. I stick to buying the US kind and weighing it after it's cooked.

I think the entries that give 100 calories a slice are the usda entries for raw bacon... but you don't eat all of it, unless you eat all the pan drippings too (who does that? lol).

I still eat bacon but honestly I don't know how to log it at all - what does 'skilled cooked' mean anyway? Clearly the longer you cook it, the leaner it will be... I prefer turkey bacon because they give nutrition for the raw slices (and you don't really lose that much fat anyway).

Skillet not Skilled....lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:

Where do get those? I've never seen them here.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I still don't know what a bacon chop is, but here's a recipe for bacon chops wrapped in bacon:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/93633/bacon-wrapped-pork-chops/
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Bacon chops are potk chops that are cut with pork belly still attached. Like so:

bacon-chops.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So, not smoked/seasoned like bacon? Meh.
  • randomtai
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    So, not smoked/seasoned like bacon? Meh.

It can be. Or pan seared.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Bacon chops are potk chops that are cut with pork belly still attached. Like so:

bacon-chops.jpg

Oh yes, they're just regular pork chops. Bacon chops, no :huh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

bacon-chops.jpg

Interesting. Pork chops definitely don't look like that here, lol.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

bacon-chops.jpg

Interesting. Pork chops definitely don't look like that here, lol.

Could you post a pic. I'm interested in seeing the difference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    raw-pork-chops-white-background-9635540.jpg

This is the kind of pork chops I find in the stores here, lol.
  • randomtai
    Options

bacon-chops.jpg

Um. Yes.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would check out some different brands, that sounds really high. My life would be sad without bacon.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ...I switched to turkey bacon. It wasn't the calories, it was the fat and the sodium that made me part ways with it.

Whut. Fat isn't bad for you. Neither is sodium unless your doc has said to cut it. There is such a minimal amount of difference in the sodium.
  • Ronin_HFX
    Ronin_HFX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thought I would add one more bacon picture to the mix - although now I can't wait for breakfast to grab me some bacon.

9km3o2awggmr.jpg
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    We also have pork that is chopped! :)

3458544800_fc0e94f5e7.jpg