Options
12345679»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:

Where do get those? I've never seen them here.

I'm in Queensland, maybe it's a Queenslander thing?
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Op I hope you don't feel too bad for checking out the database. Thankfully the awesome forums have taught us to triple check the calories listed.

On another note, in Australia we have these amazing things called bacon chops. Just thought I'd put that out there :smiley:

Is that like big pork chops that taste like bacon? OMG!

Yep exactly. My kids love them
    randomtai wrote: »
    Bacon chops are potk chops that are cut with pork belly still attached. Like so:

bacon-chops.jpg

That's them!!!! But they are smoked and taste like bacon

That's more like it! brb - planning next vacation to Australia to get some of those.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @christine_72 I just realised, I've only ever seen them at a butcher. Never in a supermarket. I don't know if that makesa difference either

You lucky duck. Next time I'm at the butcher I'm going to be asking about these :lol:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm in Queensland, maybe it's a Queenslander thing?
    I was born and raised in QLD and have never seen these! I did leave the country around 10 years ago, though.......
    Now I want bacon chops!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Try center cut bacon. It is a bit expensive but has about the same stats as turkey bacon.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You could try a less fatty cut of bacon like back bacon. It'll have less calories with the lower fat content and probably more protein.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I get smoked bacon that is under 300 calories per 100g. Don't each it often though
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    mandamoxie wrote: »
    You can cut a lot of calories off of your bacon if you make sure to go for the plain stuff instead of maple or other flavored bacon.

I get the Hormel center cut bacon and it's 70 calories for two slices.

Why would you want to do that?! In the UK I don't think we get flavoured bacon :( plus don't we have it/cook it differently over here?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    @christine_72 I just realised, I've only ever seen them at a butcher. Never in a supermarket. I don't know if that makesa difference either

You lucky duck. Next time I'm at the butcher I'm going to be asking about these :lol:

I'm going to smoke a few pork chops next weekend, based on this. Hell yes.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    mandamoxie wrote: »
    You can cut a lot of calories off of your bacon if you make sure to go for the plain stuff instead of maple or other flavored bacon.

I get the Hormel center cut bacon and it's 70 calories for two slices.

Why would you want to do that?! In the UK I don't think we get flavoured bacon :( plus don't we have it/cook it differently over here?

I'm in the UK, I had maple smoked bacon this week, from Lidl. It's not unusual at all here! And we don't cook it too differently really, lots of people here and elsewhere just whack it in a pan (I happen to grill mine). It is more common for them to have streaky bacon as we call it, back bacon being more popular here.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    BaconPrayer.jpg
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What in the *kitten* kind of bacon are you eating??? If I ate 4 pieces, I'd scrap just above 200cals.

Low sodium option would give me 190 for 4 pieces. I buy Smithfield brand, original, NOT the thick cut
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just had bacon and avocado on toast - nom. I use bacon medallions (Tesco also Waitrose UK), much less calories yet still bacon. Win.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Holy zombie thread, Batman.

Though I kind of like that it was woken up with the bacon prayer.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Unless it's thick cut, most bacon is about 43 calories a slice.
  • strifechick
    strifechick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @trollerskates

Look up nutrition info for microwaved bacon! I put 2 layers of paper towel on a plate, lay the bacon down, cover with another paper towel, and microwave for 1 minute per slice and add 30 seconds on to the total because I like crispy bacon. The fat cooks out and into the paper towels. So far I've found this works best with Oscar Mayer bacon. You may need to adjust cooking time for your taste and per brand of bacon. It cuts the calories and fat almost in half. The info I have found says 25 calories, 2 grams of fat per slice. I've used that as my bacon info, which i eat at least 4 days a week, without any problems. Give it a try.

I don't think microwave bacon is particularly healthy and I have serious doubts cooking this way reduces the calories like you say but I eat this stuff nearly every day with scrambled eggs and some raspberries. That's my typical lunch after gym days I just love it, the calories aren't super high and it's super easy to make (I'm someone who can't cook real bacon for the life of me it always burns, catches on fire, or manages to be oddly raw throughout half hahah)