June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    having run 6 days in a row for the first time, I'm almost finding it hard to rest tomorrow and go back to normal 5 run weeks next week
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – rest day
    6/2 – 6.11 easy

June total to date – 6.11

Nominal Challenge Goal – 100 miles
    Real Goals: Recover from injury to the point where running feels normal again. Stretch goal, recover to the point where I can run at race pace.

Today's notes – As planned, I celebrated World Day of Running yesterday with a rest day. It's what I need to do to get back to running regularly again.

Today I went to the club workout. Ran the 2 mile warmup, and it was clear I'm still running to the feel of the leg and not to a target pace. The leg gets a bit stiff standing around after the warmup, but I got a 4 mile out and back on roads and non-technical trails to add to the warmup. There were periods, mostly on the softer part of the trail, when running felt so normal that my major attention was on pedestrians and weather rather than on the recovering leg.

Progress is slow, but there is progress. I'm pretty sure I can get better just by being patient enough to run everything easy, and not push for too many miles too soon. It's easier mentally now that I can actually run a reasonable distance instead of having to quit at 2 or 3 miles.

Oh, and the yoga discussion . . . Not all that long ago, I would have said that in America, yoga is for women. Turns out that one of the stretches I need for that injured leg has a name. It's called "pigeon pose." I guess it doesn't count as yoga if I learn it from the running coach instead of from some cute young lady in spandex tights.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp I do pigeon pose after every run. It feels so good!
  • kristinamcdonald54
    kristinamcdonald54 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    3.0 miles on eliptical today with a total for the month (2 days) equals 5.93
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    5km Long - slow run ( walk ) along the river bank. Obviously the run was Not slow enough as I some how injured my leg. Was going along talking to one of the ladies in the group when I felt a twinge at the top of the right calf. On the next step there was a Loud Audible POP - mild pain :( . Could walk on it with minimal discomfort pain - even though it made me limp??? The lady beside me gasped as she though the absolute worst. Walked it off - but any type of uphill/downhill step - stairs causes pain at the top of the calf muscle.
    Not Happy. Looks like I am on the Bleachers-injured reserve group. :s:'(
    New Goal Recovery, heal and get back in the shoes.

06/01 – 4.0 Km – 4.0 - 136 km
    06/02 –5.0 Km – 9.0 - 131 km – YTD 619.2 km

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Got in 8 miles today, 4 on the treadmill then 4 with a neighbor in the Florida heat/sun/humidity. Returning to the cooler north east tomorrow.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles

Total: 12 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 188 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep
    Chicago Marathon - Oct
    Ironman Florida - Nov

@stoshew71 - For me, now that I've hit (what is pretty likely) a BQ, my latest motivation is training for my first full ironman (and hopefully racing it in under 10 hours, but I'll take surviving it at this point), and hopefully cracking the 3 hour mark at Chicago if the weather and my body weight goals work out (as I'd probably get the 8 minutes from losing another 8 pounds). Post that, I don't think I'm at an age or have the biological ability to shave off another 2 minutes/mile for the olympic trials, but securing an age group spot for the Ironman world championships in Kona (without needing to do too much race shopping) would be a semi-reasonable 3-5 year goal. Otherwise, just had a buddy do the New England challenge (5 marathons in 5 days - all between 3:15-3:50), which might be a good next goal.

@kimlight2 - Depending on your level of fitness, time-shopping may be your best bet if you aren't willing to run/walk/slow trudge or hit the treadmill, or use the run as one of 1-2 weekly speedwork sessions. When joining my neighbor for 4 miles in the Florida 88 degree/90% humidity early this evening, the level of ick wasn't too fun, and my pace was 2 minutes/mile slower than my indoor treadmill pace at the same heart rate.

@adrianchr92 - RE Cutback weeks - when I'm doing a formal plan, my long run is usually much shorter, as is my mid-week mid-run mileage. Right now, as I'm snowbirding between Florida at Pittsburgh, I usually just do less of everything in Florida dropping to 35 miles/week (limiting my mid-distance run to 5 miles, and maybe doing a double if I need extra miles), then just ramp back up to 60/week once I get back up north as I run 6-8 miles alongside friends most days (and 10 Sunday), plus a mile each way to/from the meetup point.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I missed 8 pages and the start of this thread, but I've been running!

1 June – 10 km
    3 June – 10 km

Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
    Total: 20 km (12.4 miles)

Upcoming:
    June 11-12: Serra Terror 80 km trail walk relay
    June 19: Winter Solstice Lighthouse to Lighthouse 15 km
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch virtual half marathon 21.1 km
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    June goal.....run

6/1 rest
    6/2 3.59

Total 3.59

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Today I was forced to put my run in the middle of the day. High noon. Almost 30C (86F). Decided to do it anyway, thought it would be a fun experiment. Damn it was hard. And like the sun wasn't enough, the air was way too humid from last night. I felt like a truck. Had to run slower and it felt heavier. Garmin even decided I probably lost a lung or something and dropped my vo2max estimate by one point :))). Tomorrow is race day but If it's like today I don't think there is a way I will do the 5k in 21 min. Summer seems a bad time for PRs. I hope it rains tomorrow.

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00
    June 3 - 5.0 km - 153/6:12

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k (Goal 21:40)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @whatmerunning - good luck this weekend. You need a rest day too!
    @ohhim - it is pretty bad out when you are on a treadmill. :wink: Enjoy the cooler weather! I go to KC next Friday and am hoping it is cooler there. After a week there I come home a couple days and then go to Portland, Victoria and Alberta - there I know it will be better but I hope I don't run into any bears.

I really wanted to run this morning but I made myself take a rest day. Looking back last full rest day (no biking/lifting/running) was May 19th. I know I will be resting next Friday because I'm traveling so I figured I better rest today or I won't want to next week.
    Lots of biking this weekend and then running Mon-Thurs next week.

6/1 - 22 miles cycling
    6/2 - 5 miles + strength traning
    6/3 -rest/ recovery day

exercise.png

• checkthestove
    checkthestove Posts: 44 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    6/1 - 3 miles
    6/2 - zip
    6/3 - 5 miles

8 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Mommy stress day, I left Skip the car keys so she could meet her friends at the greenway to run this morning. This will be the furthest she has driven alone.

@juliet3455 I'm so sorry to hear about the calf I hope it feels better soon
    @adrianchr92 good luck on your 5K tomorrow running in that type of heat does just beat you up
    @ddmom0811 you make sure you take that rest day you need it :smiley:
    @karllundy good luck tomorrow and yeah for donuts!!!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Just saw 90s popping into our forecast for next weekend :'(

We have chances of storms off and on all day. I have no idea when I'm running. Maybe 7pm. Which is a really long time from now. Plan is 10k.

@ddmom0811 and @karllundy Enjoy the rest!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I haven't had time to get caught up but I saw this from a friend (a runner who was diagnosed with Lymes) and wanted to share it as a reminder to all of you trail runners. The article is a couple of years old but is still relevant.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/health/runners-and-lyme-disease?cid=soc_Runner's+World+-+RunnersWorld_FBPAGE_Runner’s+World__Health