June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @adrianchr92 You passed a little kid?! Meanie :p

@MNLittleFinn You have more restraint than I.

@4leighbee The Atlantic Ocean sounds lovely :)

@janeknoll1 Welcome back.

My asthma issues from yesterday are carrying over into today. I suppose I'll get the albuterol and see how I feel later. Trail is calling my name.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Oh no. People that won them are under 18 min. I'm in the wasteland. Just far enough the top men so I can't see them and just fast enough from the rest of the runners so I can't see them. With that time in a "casual race" like this I usually come in top 30 or so. Best I got was 10th place.

I like that phrase, "in the wasteland." I've been there in one 15K, where I couldn't see anyone ahead of me and might have missed a turn if there weren't road marshals. I think I came in 15th out of 83 or 85 that year; the next year, I could always see someone ahead of me, and I came in 9th in a similar size field.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MobyCarp Oh no. People that won them are under 18 min. I'm in the wasteland. Just far enough the top men so I can't see them and just fast enough from the rest of the runners so I can't see them. With that time in a "casual race" like this I usually come in top 30 or so. Best I got was 10th place.

I like that phrase, "in the wasteland." I've been there in one 15K, where I couldn't see anyone ahead of me and might have missed a turn if there weren't road marshals. I think I came in 15th out of 83 or 85 that year; the next year, I could always see someone ahead of me, and I came in 9th in a similar size field.

So far it happened to me in the last 2 5ks. Probably because they are more common and not a lot of fast people join. So there usually a pack of them in the lead and the rest of the runners are casual runners that run easy and +30 min. So this leaves us in the middle. I find that in longer distance things balance out. Probably because more people come and they are more trained. Glad to hear your leg is healing nicely. Mine is almost up. Last race I ran I was in a lot of pain after. Now I just feel sore all over. There is still a slight nag in there but next week is rest week and I will take a couple of days in a row off.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    June 1     5.1      5.1  
    June 2     5.6     10.7  
    June 4     5.8     16.5 

exercise.png

Terrible run. Sunny, but not too hot, but I was just slogging through it. Had to stop to walk several times. And all this after a day off! Blerg.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom and @louubelle16 thanks for sharing those stories. Hopefully my situation isn't so serious! I get that she's getting on my case out of love but I get a sense that she and my wife are conspiring and are unwilling to listen to what I'm saying. I'm the healthiest person in the house!

@7lenny7 I'm sure your situation isn't nearly as serious :smile: I think sometimes people also unconsciously sabotage us.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    6/1 - 3 miles
    6/2 - zip
    6/3 - 5 miles
    6/4 - 5 miles (I did 2 miles of intervals with my friend then walked 2 miles with her) after that I ran 3 miles with Skip so I'm going to count 5 miles

13 of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom nice run!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Sounds like they've been discussing how dad's gone mad with his running. I think my family has done the same thing about me. They just love us and want us to be around. But yeah, I get it. I'm the healthiest I've ever been since high school ... so let me be!
    @skippygirlsmom - I enjoyed the story of your dad. Sorry he was sick like that, but it's great he wanted to live it
    out doing what he loved.

@adrianchris92 - Awesome race. Speedy too!

6/1 - 22 miles cycling
    6/2 - 5 miles + strength training
    6/3 -rest and recovery day
    6/4 - 34 miles cycling

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @ddmom0811 thank you
    @mnlittlefinn thanks I was going to say the same thing about your long run :smile:
    @juneknoll1 welcome
    @adrianchr92 great race report I agree on the 5Ks, when I hear people who only run longer races make comments about "only a 5K" or I'd easily win that 5K, well get your *kitten* out there. They aren't as easy as they sound.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Hope you find a 50k that you can get away with :smile: Kind of odd they'd be concerned you're exercising too much.. You're eating, right? Maybe subscribe to an ultra magazine (or pick one up) and leave it laying around. "Other kids get to do 'em" *temper tantrum*.

You may be competitive at some point, make a name for yourself (outside MFP). :sunglasses:

Guess I'm lucky, no one misses me :frowning: I can run all day.. :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @whatmerunning !!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @whatmerunning. This really was a one-off "can I run almost HM distance at a "fast for me" pace? Kind of run....and as it turns out I did still have some gas left in the tank when I finished......Good sign for my HM....

...As far as rest this week goes.... Tomorrow is 4 miles easy, Monday is rest, Tuesday is 40m-1h easy, Wed is probably rest, Thursday is tempo intervals 2x2 miles with 4 minute recovery, though I may skip that stamina workout infavor of an easy run, since today was a killer run, Friday is rest, and Sat is 10k race....

Timing for a "race pace" run was just about perfect, LR before a cutback week. except the 10k, which "should" be faster, I won't be running any where near this fast for another month, and that will be the HM.

BTW, great race report and awesome job running.
  • pshara
    pshara Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Went long today. 6 mile jog/walk and 3 mile walk.

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @katharmonic Congrats on your success the past year! Cute race theme :)

@WhatMeRunning Great job on back to back races!

@vandinem Way to tough it out :)

My morning didn't go as planned. Felt like crap with asthma issues then shaky from albuterol (hate that stuff) then the dryer wasn't drying my laundry so we spent an hour fixing that. Now is just past 2pm and no lunch yet. So the plan is tacos in awhile and give my food time to settle then go run. It's currently 75. Bleh.

Supposed to do my virtual 5k today or tomorrow but I'll probably just do a 5k in the middle of a longer run :D Warm up a mile or 2 then count my time for 5k then cool down run. I'm actually feeling inspired to really try to do a fast 5k. It won't be my fastest ever but it would be nice to update my PR on Garmin.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I will catch up and reply properly when I'm on my laptop tomorrow, instead of my phone, but well done @AdrianChr92 and @WhatMeRunning for your races and your brilliant race reports. You're making me twitchy to run a race soon, all of mine are ages away...

2nd June - 3.53 miles
    4th June - 3.41 miles

MTD - 6.94/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    18th Sept - Run Reigate Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    really thinking about skipping tomorrow's run. Today's run was pretty brutal, and I'm only half a mile short of last week's mileage with 1 less run, so maybe start my cutback week a day early with rest tomorrow and Monday......thoughts?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    really thinking about skipping tomorrow's run. Today's run was pretty brutal, and I'm only half a mile short of last week's mileage with 1 less run, so maybe start my cutback week a day early with rest tomorrow and Monday......thoughts?

If you feel that you need to take a day off just do it.