June (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @WhatMeRunning why the wait? Today a long run day?
    It's a long run day and there wasn't a way to fit it in this morning among other commitments.

Gotcha. Hope it goes well and isn't too hot!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    @WhatMeRunning why the wait? Today a long run day?
    It's a long run day and there wasn't a way to fit it in this morning among other commitments.

I'm waiting until after work. ~3 if there are no surprises. Facing the "good" lunch delimma. Relying on fast food never seems to pan out. I should have learned that by now.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Got through 182 miles last month, despite getting in 6 rest days after my marathon. Only spending 11 days this month in Florida, and the rest up north, so I'll aim for 200 miles.

Ended up doing a bike/run workout this morning (33 mile ride @ 23 mph avg + 4 mile run @ 7:30 pace), as a triathlon teammate suckered me into joining him on his post-ride run in the 88 degree heat. On the plus side, the humidity wasn't too ugly so I was able to sweat, on the minus side, I probably pulled the paceline too much on the bike, so I was pretty shot when starting the run. Definitely not a fan of the heat, as the route was totally exposed, and my heart rate was well into threshold range despite running about a minute/mile slower than my threshold pace. Still, as my first "fast" run following my marathon (as I've been avoiding anything under 9 minutes/mile for the past month), I'm glad I decided to do it.

Small chance I'll do another (much slower) run with a neighbor this evening.

6/1 - 4 miles

Total: 4 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 196 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep
    Chicago Marathon - Oct
    Ironman Florida - Nov

@kristinegift - Huge congrads on signing up for the Via marathon. I hope the weather cooperates! As they say, the third time is the charm!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Fartlek scheduled for tomorrow for 50m-1h10m...never done a Fartlek before
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @Ohhim Awesome workout! I don't know how you "real cyclists" go so fast. LOL Of course, I don't shift gears at all. I just keep it set so it's kinda hard to pedal because I like it that way. I basically cannot go uphill at all :) Great running pace too!

Oh, forgot to mention, my water bottle arrived yesterday! Woohoo! Gonna have to try it out Friday and see if I like it. Unfortunately my towel does NOT fit in the pocket. So close but won't zip. Boo. It's a small 12oz bottle but it's still a lot for my little hand, so I'm anxious to see how it works. I think the point is to have your hand sort of open?
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    @Ohhim Awesome workout! I don't know how you "real cyclists" go so fast. LOL Of course, I don't shift gears at all. I just keep it set so it's kinda hard to pedal because I like it that way. I basically cannot go uphill at all :) Great running pace too!

Generally, we cheat on the speed side by drafting the cyclist in front of us (as I was only able to average 22mph for my last half ironman 56 mile bike leg - where you are penalized if you follow closer than 10m behind the cyclist ahead of you except when passing) :) Following closely gives me about 3-5 miles/hour of free bike speed. Still, it was a small group on the ride this morning (only 3 of us were pulling the paceline), so my ratio of pulling/drafting was a bit higher than usual.
  • greenolivetree
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Generally, we cheat on the speed side by drafting the cyclist in front of us (as I was only able to average 22mph for my last half ironman 56 mile bike leg - where you are penalized if you follow closer than 10m behind the cyclist ahead of you except when passing) :) Following closely gives me about 3-5 miles/hour of free bike speed. Still, it was a small group on the ride this morning (only 3 of us were pulling the paceline), so my ratio of pulling/drafting was a bit higher than usual.

Ah, that's cool. I suppose it also doesn't help that I'm going max .5 mile and often only .25 between each stop sign. LOL I don't completely stop unless there's a car, but I definitely slow way down and look both ways.
  • dipsuk
    dipsuk Posts: 35 Member
    My goal for June is 45miles.

exercise.png
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Happy National Running Day all!!

Junes goal is 75 injury/illness free miles!!

June 1- 6 Miles

Congratulations RespectTheKitty on 3 miles well done!

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2016
    First run for this month. Happy running day. Decided I will also keep track of my heart rate sine I will be running at the same pace for all month mostly. So I want to see if it goes down.

On the sad part I heard there was another shooting at UCLA. 2 dead. That's sad :(

Date.....Distance..Average heart rate/Pace
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2
    June 3

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k (Goal 21:40)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

Oh, forgot to mention, my water bottle arrived yesterday! Woohoo! Gonna have to try it out Friday and see if I like it. Unfortunately my towel does NOT fit in the pocket. So close but won't zip. Boo. It's a small 12oz bottle but it's still a lot for my little hand, so I'm anxious to see how it works. I think the point is to have your hand sort of open?

@greenolivetree I think my water bottle is like yours. When you put it on your hand it will really just stay there no need to hold it at all, of course you can't close your hand either. I get bored with it and move the water part to back of my hand and the strap around my palm if I want to close my hand or let the strap be more towards my fingers. Did you get one that squirts when you squeeze it or do you need to open the top? Skip has one you squeeze it very neat so you don't have a fumble with the top. I looked at one for her the other day that the part that holds the water is collapsible material. Very cool.
  • greenolivetree
    edited June 2016
    I ordered this one (but from Amazon because I had $10 off coupon) http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottles-handhelds/handhelds/hydraform-jett-lite-thermal-12oz

I've never carried anything while running so this is new territory :wink:
  • MNLittleFinn
    This is the waterbottle I just got: http://www.nathansports.com/hydration/handhelds/quickshot-plus

used it on my Long Run on Saturday. It took some getting use to carrying something, but I really like it. held my keys just fine.