June (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited June 2016
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    My question of the day, is it better to get up at o' dark 30 to run when it is cool and get a really good quality run in or should I run a little later in the morning since unfortunately my race doesn't start until 8 AM and I am worried about the heat on race day but I know my training runs will be crap?

I think there's another issue hiding behind the way you asked that question. Or maybe more than one. Anyway, here's my take from a couple of angles.

1.) Sleep is very important. If you don't get enough sleep, the wheels tend to come off. Young people may not notice this as much, but it slaps us older folks upside the head pretty obviously. Whether you run at 0 Dark Hundred and get up early, or run in the evening and end up going to bed late, it's like squeezing a balloon. The time has to come from somewhere, and if you don't pay attention it will come out of how much sleep you get. When that catches up to you, motivation goes into the toilet.

2.) Training in the conditions you expect for race day is helpful. If the race is hilly, train hills. If the race is outdoors in the winter, train outdoors in cold weather. And if you expect race day to be hot and humid, you want to train in hot and humid weather. It doesn't have to be every time you run, but you should have some runs that emulate what you'll face on race day. So . . . I have a half marathon on July 16. It is traditionally hot and humid. Between now and then, my runs on Sunday will be in the afternoon, in the heat of the day. I can't control whether I get heat and humidity, but that gives me a chance of facing something approximating race day weather. Note that I don't need to do this for *all* of my running; but I do need to do it for some.

3.) The only way training runs are crap is if you can't do what you intend to get done. Most runners would agree that running in heat and humidity is not as much fun as running in ideal running weather; but that doesn't make the run crap. That just makes it less fun. Work through it, and when you run past people who have slowed to a walk on race day, you'll be glad you conditioned yourself.

Bottom line is, you have to balance your goals, your schedule, and what your body is capable of doing this week. Maybe it's better to get up at 0 Dark Hundred because that's the only time you have to run. Maybe it's better to run at 8 AM because you think that will emulate race day weather. Maybe you have to run in the evening because that's the only time you have that won't cut into your sleep. Do the best you can, and don't regret it if you can't train perfectly. Neither can anyone else.
  • mkg070457
    mkg070457 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016

exercise.png

Haven't been running as often as I like for the past few months with life getting in the way...June is "make it happen" month again-modest goal of 2 miles per day...getting the habit re-established firmly is my real goal!

• baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Hey again,

I failed so bad last month because of a stupid sinus infection that I held off on getting properly treated (stupid me lol). Anyway, now's a new month, so I'm down for 115 miles!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @greenolivetree I have the one you posted and @mnlittlefinn Skip has the one you posted. I notice on greenolivetree's link it now comes with the squeeze/squirt top, that is awesome. In the pockets I can put my tootsie rolls or fruit snacks for a race. You'll get used to carrying it, I did after a few times. Usually we take them trail running or HM races. Skip will take her from time to time when she's doing a long run.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    @mnlittlefinn - I have the same water bottle for the rare occasion I carry water. Works great!
  • georgiosgrigorakis
    georgiosgrigorakis Posts: 2 Member
    My goal for June 2016 is 100 Km.
    Good luck to everybody.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Date............Miles.............Total
    1/6................4.2.................4.2

First run for over a week, it was really hard! May was a bad month for me with lots of stuff going on in my home life, running was the last thing on my mind. I'm back now though and nothing is going to make me lose focus :)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Getting in on this challenge as much as I can pre-custom orthotic bracing. Hopefully next month my goal can be more ambitious!

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Ah, June 1st is here! That makes me very happy, and not because it's Global Running Day or whatever, but because that means that May is gone and I can get back to my life as I know it. May is the worst month for running because it's filled with gardening obligations that can't be postponed, too many family commitments and it always culminates with our Sunday-before-Memorial Day-Greatest-Day-In-Racing party, which means too much food and way too much drink.

So here we are in June and, as I mentioned before, I am in great need of re-evaluating my relationship with running. After qualifying for Boston, I have just lost all desire to train with that competitive edge. I don't really care if I get faster and I don't really care how many miles I log. I want to run, but I have no real desire to beat myself up in the process. My goal for June is to focus on my overall well being and not really have any running goal *erases previously posted goal of 130 miles*. Here are my commitments for June:

1. Some form of exercise before work every day, even if it's only 20 minutes of yoga. I have found that this definitely increases my energy and my ability to stay focused on my work.
    2. Try not to focus on mileage or speed. Enjoy my running and, most importantly, stay injury free.
    3. Look into incorporating more trail running into my schedule. What little trail running I have done, I have enjoyed.

I will probably continue to post my miles to keep with the spirit of the thread, but not gonna set a goal...

This is what I am afraid of, since BQ seems to be the biggest motivator for me. I have no idea what will be next in store for me once I achieve that.

So what's this gardening you speak of...?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Got a question for those who know training better than me (pretty much everyone here) Next week is a lower mileage week, but I have a 10k race on Saturday. I will be racing it. So, I guess there's 2 questions.

Question 1, is it ok to do that instead of my long run, or should I find a different place for my long run?

Question 2: I have tempo intervals scheduled in for Thursday, my usual stamina workout day. Should I move those to Tuesday and put Tuesday's Easy Run on Thursday? or should I do a different type of run all together?
  • Stoshew71
    Fartlek scheduled for tomorrow for 50m-1h10m...never done a Fartlek before

Wear clean underwear.
  • wellscyn
    wellscyn Posts: 3 Member
    exercise.png
    First time doing a challenge hope it motivates me!

• Stoshew71
    Got a question for those who know training better than me (pretty much everyone here) Next week is a lower mileage week, but I have a 10k race on Saturday. I will be racing it. So, I guess there's 2 questions.

Question 1, is it ok to do that instead of my long run, or should I find a different place for my long run?

Question 2: I have tempo intervals scheduled in for Thursday, my usual stamina workout day. Should I move those to Tuesday and put Tuesday's Easy Run on Thursday? or should I do a different type of run all together?

I quite often rearrange my normal scheduled workouts when I have a race planned.

For example, I normally have a long run on Saturday mornings. But I had a race on Monday.
    So what I did was chop off 5 miles off of my planned Sat LR and just did an extra daily double that previous Thursday to insert those would have missed miles. I only did 13 last Saturday instead of a normal 17-18 miler. In the end, my weekly mileage was still 65.8 miles and the LR on Saturday was still more than 90 minutes (1:54:12)which were the most important thing I was concerned about.
  • rowege
    rowege Posts: 5 Member
    Going for 20!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    55 miles as recommended on my half-marathon training regimen.
    Huzzah!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @stoshew71 Thanks for the advice. I just realized that it's supposed to be a cutback week, and the long run wasn't going to be that much of a cutback....so maybe just stick with the 10k mileage and call it good? The following week will have more mileage again. Definitely thinking I'll swap the TI run to Tuesday though so I get some rest, and maybe make the new thursday run to a 70-80 run instead of 45-60. LOL I can tell I'm new at this, I get way too caught up on how to change things.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    How do you guys take your cutback weeks? Do you still run the same amount of days or just shorten all the runs. I have one next week and I though I'd just skip one run and cut the long run in half
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    1---6.01 I feel like I really need to work on hydration. I'm not sure how I'm gonna accomplish this. Today I ran a 2 mile loop then grabbed some water and a GU. Not that I needed fuel, just training, taking advantage of the heat and the pit stop. I think if I hydrate better, I'll sweat more.

My legs feel good. I'm cautious to push the foot and the heat. I still need to plan my mileage for the month..

6.01/80+

Upcoming races:

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  824.98/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.