June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me. From running. Need to do my pilates at some point. As much as I want to run, rest day couldn't have come at a better time. My right knee is being a pain today. I've had a sharp pain on the inside edge of my right kneecap for a long time now. Just off and on. Usually I feel it when I'm shuffling around the house and stepping at odd angles vs. continuous forward motion. It never throbs or swells or hurts long term. No problem with squats or stairs. But days like today worry me, when it's being more finicky than usual. Ibuprofen and Icy Hot and I hope to feel better tomorrow.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    You and me both @Stoshew71! I can't downward dog to save my life....
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    exercise.png

@Stoshew71 - You are mistaken, that is definitely me!
    @WhatMeRunning - I am strongly considering the I-35 Challenge (HM variety) this fall. What's the vibe like at KC Marathon? How big does it tend to be? Just trying to see how hard it would be to manage. Thanks!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    New epiphany for today: I love my new little foam roller. should have gotten a foam roller a long time ago
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom it's Saturday.
    fun ensued. i was taught the girlie art of pedicures. champagne was popped. lyra was played on
    27142381050_108efa6a13_n.jpg26809817864_77c416d525_n.jpg

there was plenty of dirty talk. because yoga girls are awesome.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @mnlittlefinn I love my foam roller too. But not as much as I love this https://www.gofit.net/index.php/products/all-gofit-products/all-gofit-products-mpm/extreme-massage-bar.html I picked it up at Academy Sports in January and have loved it.

@moyer566 That looks painful to me! I used to love being upside down as a kid. Now it makes my head hurt.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom it's Saturday.
    fun ensued. i was taught the girlie art of pedicures. champagne was popped. lyra was played on
    27142381050_108efa6a13_n.jpg26809817864_77c416d525_n.jpg

there was plenty of dirty talk. because yoga girls are awesome.

@moyer566 I think I need to try yoga. Have a great time on Saturday!!! Best wishes and congrats. :heart:
  • mbaker566
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree that sucker is painful. a lot of time's they are wrapped and this one is still slippery aluminum. i spend a lot of time upside down. my students usually get as acclimated as me
    i guess i'm just a glutton for punishment with running, aerial hammock, lyra, heck, i used to spin fire
    23748790153_2cb63cc3b6_n.jpg
    2869694463_5c41828eff_m.jpg
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @glitterrainn I remember the first time I ran a whole mile. I was crying and I got to work I couldn't wait to tell my boss and everyone else who would listen to me. Great job!!!! :star:

Thanks!! I ran my second mile and didn't stop either. I ran with my 10 year old. I made a new PR of 10:57. I have never ran a mile under 11 mins. Hopefully I can keep that up!!! I almost cried I was so happy!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    exercise.png

@Stoshew71 - You are mistaken, that is definitely me!
    @WhatMeRunning - I am strongly considering the I-35 Challenge (HM variety) this fall. What's the vibe like at KC Marathon? How big does it tend to be? Just trying to see how hard it would be to manage. Thanks!
    It has a great vibe and lots of course support/volunteers. It is among the top events in this area in my opinion. As for how big it is, it is the largest here but nothing compared to honestly large events. Last year there were 1300 in the full, 4600 in the half, and 900 in the 5k, for a total of nearly 7,000 participants. I had no trouble with parking and you can park close to the event with relative ease (early birds get the best). There are parking garages, large parking lots and nearby streets for overflow parking, no need for shuttling.

It is hilly. That is the only complaint you will hear from people, but it has always been hilly and is known to be hilly. Nobody goes thinking it is flat unless they sign up blindly and don't check/ask beforehand.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @glitterrainn I remember the first time I ran a whole mile. I was crying and I got to work I couldn't wait to tell my boss and everyone else who would listen to me. Great job!!!! :star:

Thanks!! I ran my second mile and didn't stop either. I ran with my 10 year old. I made a new PR of 10:57. I have never ran a mile under 11 mins. Hopefully I can keep that up!!! I almost cried I was so happy!!

@glitterrainn your profile pix is perfect for you. BTW way to go to your 10 year old! I run with my 16 year old daughter, it's a great bonding experience. I know both @shanaber, @ddmom0811 and a few others run with their children too when they can. It's awesome.

Love this.

1yr18wjqfnap.jpg
  • mbaker566
    edited June 2016
    Options

@glitterrainn your profile pix is perfect for you. BTW way to go to your 10 year old! I run with my 16 year old daughter, it's a great bonding experience. I know both @shanaber, @ddmom0811 and a few others run with their children too when they can. It's awesome.

Love this.

1yr18wjqfnap.jpg

nice!

aerial yoga is awesome and easier on the joints and you get deeper stretches
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @karllundy - Here is the KC Marathon (full) elevation profile from Strava last year for reference. For the HM course just cut out the section from mile 9 to 22 as mile 9 is about where the HM turn was and the full came back to that same spot later to run the same route to the finish.
    qpqkrgwudl10.png
  • greenolivetree
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Signed up for a virtual 5k this weekend. Wouldn't normally do something like this but a friend of my sister has a child affected by this disease. https://bdsra.redpodium.com/batten-awareness-weekend-virtual-5k I would've run 5k anyway and it's for a good cause :)

@ddmom0811 Those shoes! :D We have a bike shop here called Phat Tire.

@moyer566 Fire is painful too. LOL
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I love that! Especially the part at the end where it says " I don't know how to give up". That is a mindset my dad instilled in us as children. We were never allowed to quit anything we started. We always had to see it through to the end. There were times as a child that I hated him for it, but now as an adult, there is not a day that goes by that I don't thank him.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

LOL I knew you would be rushing out to buy those. HA! I'm sure they have a men's version too!