Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue: I am using the Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar for acid reflux, but after trying it mixed in water I read the bottle and went to the website where it suggested using it as salad dressing. It wasn't awful mixed in water, but I like the salad dressing a lot better. I've used it to make salad dressing twice now, and like it. I haven't been drinking it in water since the first couple of days, but I've used it on my salad every day. So far I haven't had any acid reflux issues. The bottled vinegar is cloudy and they say to shake before using. I bought the bottle at my local Safeway store. Google it and see what you think. There is quite a bit of information online. :bigsmile:
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Becca, I don’t care how brave you try to act, I know all this has to be so scary! Sending brave thoughts for you and healing thoughts for your DH. Hang in there and come here to vent all you want and need. ((((Hugs))))

Kim, it sounds like a great bonding experience with your DGD. Sorry for the financial problems but I’m sure you will work things out. You seem so resourceful. Crossing fingers for the gardening job!!!! good-luck-smiley-emoticon.gif

Re, for heaven’s sake, STEP AWAY FROM THE M & M’s!!! Now if my DH kept offering me candy, bread and pasta, I’d probably have to have a “Come to Jesus Meeting” with him. That is just not done!!!! I can’t remember, what part of Texas do you live in? I grew up down in the valley in McAllen but it’s been a few years.

Allie, so you should be the one to be available to take Homer to the vet and not Tom? Go figure???? Girl have you learned nothing from us?? You should have kept the card and just let Tom stew. He will anyway. You have a very happy-birthday-smiley-emoticon.gif and a wonderful trip!!! ((((Hugs))))

Heather, what a wonderful picture of the grands. It looks like Bea is getting bigger!

Chris, you enjoy your job, “you skinny person” and enjoy your new co-workers.  Don’t ya love it???

Carey, that would be a good idea at the pool if we had an alarm to let them know the power had gone out. Otherwise no one would know until they tried to leave.

Pip, I can’t believe you did/ or will do 700 miles in a month!!! Today at the gym I did 3 miles. fake-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

NYKaren, so sorry your DH didn’t like the job offer. Too bad he couldn’t take it until something better came along. You hang in there my friend. (((Hugs)))

Marcelyn, great picture. Is that you or the instructor??? What a beautiful, skinny woman, whoever it is. 

Meg, so sorry for your pill problems with Benny. I hope things work out for both of you.

KJ, sending prayers your way. (((Hugs)))

Barbie, glad Jake is finished with surgery and hope for wonderful results.
    pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Didn’t get to read here this morning as usual. DH took his car in for some work and I had to pick him up. Then I went to work out. Got home at 1 pm, made a chicken salad with just celery, onion and grapes with a touch of light Miracle Whip. After lunch had to take a short nap. Oh yes, on the way home from working out, I got DH’s car and left mine for an oil change. Anyway, I’m caught up with all but one page. Now it’s time to go start dinner. I hope you are all doing as well as expected and we all do even better tomorrow.
    rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KJL ~ Prayers for you and your sister and her family! So sad!

Allie ~ Happy Birthday

Becca ~ Hang in there... you have proven yourself to be a strong lady and just hoping all will be well.

Painted two half bedrooms today. My wonderful DnL is painting the baseboards, windows and doors. The two grands are entertaining themselves. All is well!

Carol

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    KJ I am so sorry to hear about your sister...
    Betty
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :)Rori you and I were both walking in Seattle today but I'm sure you had better scenery. I walked the same few halls so I'd be near to get news about Jake. He's in a hospital room now so I keep going back to our hotel room to get things for him. Fortunately both rooms are on the same floor so no elevators or stairs are involved

<3Becca. I know how fortunate I am to have a room to stay in here

:) Jake ordered food even though he wasn't too hungry and ordered enough for me so I had grilled salmon and steamed broccoli
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Allie, Happy Birthday! I'm glad you will be spending it with your father, not with someone who abuses and under appreciates you.

KJ, words can't express how sad I am for you.

Regarding guilt... I've adopted a Philosophy that has served me very well throughout the years. Simply put, "guilt is a useless emotion". I refuse to let anyone have the power to make me feel guilty about anything. I know I'm a good person and would never do anything to intentionally hurt anyone.

Gotta run,
    Chris in MA
  • maryjeanmiller
    maryjeanmiller Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new to the group. Sounds like i might have some things in common including age.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @maryjeanmiller Hi! Welcome, what shall we call you? And where are you from?
    NYKaren I get tired of being the breadwinner too, but I am grateful for job security, as I have been employed by the same company for 25 years now. That is something! I hope your hubby finds the right job.
    Allie Happy Birthday! Be good to yourself.
    Re Nice jeans! Very fetching. Waving back. c0109.gif
    Heather The nearest airport to my little hometown in Nebraska is Denver. It is a 3 1/2 hour drive. I still go there to visit old friends. When I leave to come back home, I ALWAYS plan to drive the night before and stay over at a hotel near the Denver airport. Who needs the added stress of getting up at O'Dark Thirty and driving in the darkest hour before dawn to the airport? I mean, it's nice that it doesn't bother your husband, he is made out of some tough stuff, but I suspect he is in the minority...why start your trip out sleep-deprived and road anxious?
    KJ Having lost my sister, I am agonizing with and for you. Can you be with her now? I hope so...I am sending the most comforting envelope to surround both of you during this sad, sad time...
    Barbie and Mary Healing thoughts to your loved ones.
    Vicki Grand Island Have a great time on vacation!
    Becca We all think you are courageous and plucky.
    Joyce We all think you are courageous and plucky.
    DJ That chicken salad sounds yummy. I love chicken salad with grapes.
    Everyone else, <3

Karen in Virginia thinking about my July goals
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.24min, 16.5amph, 149mhr, 2.5mi = 102c
    SPIN- 52min, 98ar, 47aw, 6-7g, 149mhr, 10.1mi = 356c
    ride gym 2 wk- 54.56min, 12.5amph, 155mhr, 11.4mi = 480c
    ride wk 2 hm- 54.13min, 11.3amph, 152amph, 10.2mi = 478c
    total cal 1416
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn in Houston – For a ‘first’ time of painting from a picture (I am assuming that is the picture to your right) and apparently left to their own devices – pretty good at showing their interpretation. No matter what you ‘think’ about the teacher; always praise their work. Kids thrive on that. As an artist who started drawing at the age of 4; and, my parents ‘finally’ able to talk a woman into taking me on as a 7-year-old – she was amazed that I could sit for 2 hours and paint what she had set up (or from looking at pictures in National Geographic) and picking my own to paint. I loved it and she pretty much left me to my own devices. She taught me several things – to pick out shapes, how to make shadows, and how to make some ‘sit’ on the table and not look like it was floating on air. I took private lessons from her through middle school; and, then my parents sent me to a well-known portrait artist and I really learned a lot from him. After a 3-hour lesson, he would allow me and the other student to stay later, if he was working on one of his portraits – as long as we just watched. He did portraits in “Crayola Color Crayons” … that looked so ‘life-like’ you felt as ‘if’ you could touch the people (mostly children). We could ‘ask’ questions; but, it always seemed that ‘if’ I questions might have been ‘spot on’ … he would always stop and tell us he had to ‘go see about his Mama’. As soon as I turned 16 – I was allowed to drive the 25-mile one-way trip on Saturdays. We could stay as late at 2:00pm. Back in the late 60’s he was commanding $600 a head – which was a ‘fortune’ at that time. The first few lessons, I learned how to ‘make a color wheel’ (using only the primary colors – red, yellow, and blue); and, a gray scale using all the combinations of the colors on the wheel, so that I could ‘correctly’ make the ‘shadows’ without using a tube of ‘black’ paint. Black ‘is’ a ‘color’ … ‘white’ is the ‘lack of color’. If I was ever stranded somewhere and could have what I needed – I could use the 3 primary colors and make just about any color I wanted to make. I’d need the ‘white’ but, not the ‘black’.

Beautiful granddaughters and they looked quite pleased with their paintings. If that is you, in the picture with them, you look amazingly like my DDnL#1’s mother. Keep encouraging them to draw and paint. Just let them ‘tell you about their drawing or painting’. The worst thing is to ‘assume’ that you ‘know’ what their subject is … and maybe ‘why’ they use the color(s) they do. Just because a child uses ‘black’ doesn’t mean he is ‘disturbed’ … he might tell you that is the ‘only’ color of crayon … that was not broken and have the paper wrapper torn off it. I did not ‘share’ my crayons for that very reason. LOL!

If I was an ‘art teacher’ … I’d probably prefer children between 5th – 8th grades. They really ‘suck it up’ at that age. Encourage them as much as you can … you’ve got 3 budding artists on your hands. When I went off to 'art school' ... I began to 'hate' art and anything associated with it; but, we went to school from 8:00AM - 5:00PM and had about 1 hour to go get something to eat. Shoved down our throats 8 hours a day; 5 days a week, and that did not even 'count the time' spent on projects. I know there was a 'reason' for me to start working at the deli I went to everyday ... met my DH there.

Re and Kim – My 401K was taken with me when I retired on a disability … the guy who does my investments has the same things with his money that he gets mine into … that way he can decide when to ‘get out’ if need be. He’s got a ‘good eye’ on finances. We used my retirement from my job and put a down payment on the land we live on. Back them, my employer matched dollar-for-dollar that I invested. It change long after I left.

GLo North Shore Ma Grrrrrrrr – Have you tried opening up a word processing program and putting it ‘side-by-side’ to the MFP community and answering comments there; and, when you are finished … cutting and pasting it to the yellow block at the end of the postings? I find this is the best way for me to ‘almost always’ make sure that I don’t lose any of my responses. Just a suggestion.

KJLaMore – {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} and lots of prayers. So sorry that y’all are going through all this. Tonight, get in the shower, as hot as you can stand it … and cry … it will help, then go get a bottle of wine (and cheese) and ‘whine’ if you need to. We’re all here for you! LOL! (Lots of Love). Both my older sisters are breast cancer survivors.

Re – I don’t think she is ‘looking’ for more drugs … just a ‘lot of attention’. I guess I am getting so ‘impatient’ because it seems like it has gone on 'forever', since October … get one thing taken care of, then she goes out an reinjures it. But, since she does put her weight on it … like when she is running hard … I’m trying not to get too upset about it. DH told me that ‘when’ I was telling her to ‘put her foot down’ … she was beginning to roll over in a ‘submissive pose’ … so now I have to tell her ‘walk on all 4’s’ and she will then try to put it down. Vet said it will be tender until the nail grows back out.

I know you are excited about you NSV … going down a size makes you really feel good. I know when I went through my clothes … to try the Marie Kondo style of folding/hanging clothes and I could take half my closet to the ‘consignment shop’ … I did it. No more ‘big’ clothes that just hung in my closet or took up drawer space.

Beth near Buffalo – A friend of mine is sending ‘positive reinforcement sayings’ … not only to help me; but, to make her feel less depressed. I’m married to a very ‘positive’ (most of the time) DH – and he keeps me pretty motivated. I did not get in the pool today; because for the past 2 days (all day) … I’ve been ‘trying’ to find a ‘mistake’ in my bank statements that showed up in February. GGrrrrrr!!!! I think my OCD kicked in. I hate not knowing right to the penny I have in the bank.

Becca – It is my belief that God does not give you more than you can handle; sometimes I wish he did not ‘trust’ me so much. God won’t take you to something that He won’t walk you through. Seems like sometimes he is ‘testing’ us to see just how strong we can be. Right now, I ‘like’ for him to take my migraine away. Taking a ‘step back’ and letting it lie, is sometimes difficult for me to do.
    Lots of love coming you and your husband’s way. Hope things go well for you.

Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE – I know what you mean about ‘talking’ to one another. Seems like the generation of our DGC is always with the noses stuck to a cellphone screen. But, I guess they get it honestly, DDnL#1 keeps her cellphone ‘on’ 24/7 and I am convinced that FB is her ‘home page’.

Heather – Be very careful traveling. So much evil in the world. Prayers for those in Istanbul, Turkey and their tragedy at the airport. Keep your eyes open and make sure you are aware of your surroundings.

DJ – DDnL#1 is interviewing for jobs. Got turned down for ‘unemployment’ but, I figured that’d happen under the circumstances … she ‘did’ walk out the door after her boss told her that ‘if she did so, not to come back’. He has treated her like a ‘slave’ since she started working there 12 years ago. She has had to ‘beg’ for raises; only has 1 week of paid vacation; and, ‘if’ she does anything for her girls, he docks her vacation time. No ‘sick’ time … she had to use ‘vacation’ days – even ‘if’ her girls were ‘sick’ and HAD to stay home. She had an interview today; but, the job only paid $18,000 a year. Next week she has a job interview that is ‘local’ and pays a lot more. It might be a bit more ‘iffy’ about stability; but, maybe she will be ‘taking someone’s place’ and not being ‘hired’ so they can ‘catch up their work’. Partly funded by county and partly funded by UGA. I sure hope she gets it; or gets ‘something’ soon. This has been a stain on my DOS – which means he brings it to work with him and then DH gets ‘stressed’. And, then … he ‘fusses’ about it to me … I just get up and walk away. He ‘gets the point’ and we don’t have to ‘mince any words’. DOS and his family seem to ‘struggle’ all the time financially; that’s not a problem for DYS and his family. They have ‘different’ struggles … and that has been ‘heartbreaking’. I guess they’ll be trying the I.V.F. procedure. Constantly praying that it works for them. They’ve come so far with the procedure in the past 20± years since “Baby Brown” was conceived that way.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
    228th place nationally (as far as miles ridden (says there are 26685 riders)

6th place in WA state, 1st place female! if no one else rides, i will move up to 5th place and gotta recheck the national standings after the end of day tomorrow
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    KJ: ((((hugs)))) :( We're here for you.

Heather: I think you are making a smart move to book an airport hotel. I do that frequently, especially in winter.

Meg: So sorry about Benny. Hope it's not anything serious. He is a lucky beagle to have you as his caretaker.

Barbie: Bummers we can't walk together. Hope Jake is feeling better and you are getting ready to return home. I have so enjoyed the afternoons in Seattle. The new profile photo is from today's excursion to the Chihuly Museum and Gardens. Glass art and a flourishing garden in 76 degree weather = a beautiful combo.

My room has a view of the sparking Pacific. I'm going to have a cup of tea, put on a movie and watch the sunset. Tomorrow, I'll be checking out and heading up Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills gal soaking up the beauty of PNW

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    [ No matter what you ‘think’ about the teacher; always praise their work. Kids thrive on that.

Oh believe me, this grandma thinks they all did a wonderful job. This is the second class they have done with me, the other one was a cat and they all had such fun with it. I think I kind of irritated the instructor because I refuse REFUSE to tell the girls to make it look just like the example. I tell them the subject, which is usually very obvious and then let them go with it. The only thing I often have to do is tell them to lay off the heavy paint. That's an issue only because of drying time so they can finish the painting in time to go home. lol I never tell them to straighten a line or change a color, it's their painting. And their parents all react with great praise, in fact all of them hang the paintings up in their houses. Everyone is quite supportive of the girls.

Next up is a grandson outing. We're going to a baseball game. :) I'm all for that, I love baseball but I never get to see my team now that the Astros have changed leagues. Boooo

Marcelyn
    in hot humid muggy Houston

P.S. - The painting to my right, or on the left side of the photo that I am holding is not the example, that's my painting. :) The example is hidden behind one of the girls on the photo right. Even my picture didn't turn out looking like theirs, which is fine, I'm happy with it.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: I'm happy you are enjoying Seattle. Port Townsend is gorgeous, too. Maybe you'll fall in love with the area and decide to stay a while. That would be nice. :bigsmile:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water class. The plan for tomorrow is to do Kelly Coffee Meyers Body Training DVD.

DJ - I agree with you that typing on my phone s****, big time. How kids can type so fast is beyond me. Guess that explains why their grammar is so poor. Always using "u" for "you" and things like that. I'm like you, I weigh once/day, usually on my Wii. This just helps me to see where I am. But my "official" weigh-in is on Saturdays. At our condo there is an electric gate to get in, but there is also a "walk out" where we can use our key. hmmmm....that's a question for the Board, what do they do when the power goes out, does the gate no longer operate? I wonder..... We just use a key to get in the pool area

Joyce - I find all of the ileostomy info very interesting. Things that I never would have thought of (like what happens when you pass gas. I don't remember Vince's bag blowing up, but I'll ask him) Update: he had a colonoscopy (which was reversed). When the intestines made gas, it went into the bag. But since the bag wasn't airtight it slowly leaked out

Becca - proud of you for doing all that driving! Vent all you need to, we're all here for ya.

Re - this is the first time ever that I've heard of white clay.

Chris - WOOHOO!!!!

Exercised, then went to the post office, then to the Humane Society to drop off my aluminum, then home and since it was still a bit early got dinner ready to microwave, then in the pool, out and took a shower to get the sunscreen off, off to ceramics. First, tho, one of my neighbors volunteers at the soup kitchen so I'll take her some Cool Whip that I got on sale (with my coupon, it only cost 25 cents). Afterwards want to stop at Lowe's Foods, they have Vince's ice cream on sale, and I need some more tofu and cottage cheese.

Marcelyn - I agree with Heather, you ARE skinny. Really hope the next instructor of the class is better with kids.

Meg - have you ever used a pill shooter with Benny? The biggest trick I've found is that you have to get the plunger far enough back in their throats so that the gag reflex kicks in and they get the pill. But it, literally, takes about 2 seconds to give Loki his capsule. If you're interested I'll find out the name of the place where we got ours. They do sell them on ebay, but they are outrageous. Vince found this Humane Society in FL that sells them for something like $5.

barbie - prayers for Jake that the pain is gone.

KJ - my heart goes out to you. It's so difficult. Be kind to yourself.

Re - "you've come a long way baby", lookin' good

Becca - you never cease to amaze me with your strength. You and Joyce and so many others

barbie - sometimes I think the patients get better food than what's offered in the cafeteria! Keeping you and Jake in my thoughts

maryjean - welcome, be sure to come back now, ya hear????

Lenora - Vince is the same way as you, he has to know down to the penny where we stand. You know something? Maybe you've already done this. But there were times when, say, we'd write a check for $5.37 and the bank would cash it for $5.34.

Better get ready for tomorrow. Maybe I'll go shooting with Vince. I have a suspicion that he'd like for me to go, but I'm not sure.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @TerriRichardson112 Hi Irish Terri!
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lenora thanks for tip but I'm using my iPad Air & Premium MFP. I know it would be easier on my lap top but it's not as convenient...might have to.
    GLo North Shore, Ma
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Aw ladies, you make me cry with all your kind words. I don't feel brave at all.

On a brighter note, my middle Navy son called me, after his carrier arrived in Honolulu Hawaii!! It was soooo nice hearing his voice! I miss him so much. The last time I saw that kid was last October! I had my youngest son chat with him, nice to see brothers bonding. My youngest son and middle were like twins 5 yrs apart, but mentally joined at the hip growing up. I think since middle son has left home for the Navy, he has always remembered his younger brother as that cute little 8th grader, but now that 8th grader is taller than him and a Senior in high school next year. AND in the Navy too.

We are going to try to SKYPE this weekend, hopefully my dear husband will be home to do that. I gave my middle son the hospitals' phone number to call his father. I know dear husband appreciated that. He is already getting squirrel-ly at the hospital.

Was curious as to how you all handle stress? What are some remedies that help you?
    For me I try to:
    -play pianos I see
    -color
    -do crosswords and Suduko puzzles (in pen) every day. I have a crossword dictionary (printed in the 1970's though, to help me with some of the harder words. It's nice to learn new thinks and that distracts me from stresses I feel.

-write cards to people. Putting down my feelings, how I feel about them etc, makes my life more manageable. Knowing I have people I care about, takes the focus off my troubles.

Speaking of cards, if there are some of you that like sending and rec'ing cards, you can send me your address and I shall send you one. Just put it in a private message using the Mail tab. You know with stamps and everything:-)

Becca
    Oregon