30 Day Sugar Free Diet

13

Replies

  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    It is impossible to totally eliminate sugar, nor should you, your body needs it.

    Your body needs glucose not sugar. They are different things.

    I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative here. Sugar is something most people eat far too much of. If someone wants to do a detox for 30days why not? We do not NEED sugar, it's a substance that has no nutritional benefit to us.

    Glucose is sugar.


    Full Definition of glucose (Merriam Webster)

    1: a crystalline sugar C6H12O6; specifically : the sweet colorless soluble dextrorotatory form that occurs widely in nature and is the usual form in which carbohydrate is assimilated by animals

    2 : a light-colored syrup made from cornstarch


    Eliminating foods with added sugars is great. When you say you are going sugar free for 30 days, or however long, say you are eliminating candy, pop, cookies, cakes, pies, alcohol, processed foods, etc, not that you are going sugar free, it is impossible. Very misleading to say you are going sugar free.


    Sugar is made of 2 molecules: glucose and fructose. Glucose is a carbohydrate, and it is the fructose that is damaging to us not the glucose. Glucose is used by every cell in our bodies whereas fructose is metabolised by the liver, and that is what over long term excess consumption, will lead to insulin resistance and non alcoholic fatty liver disease, no I'm not
    Saying that people should never have sugar in their diet occasionally but nearly all of us eat far too much of it.
    The small amount of fructose in fruit is encased in fibre, not much of it is absorbed and you're getting all the other micro nutrients from the fruit, (obviously this does not include fruit juices).


  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,582 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I'm doing no added sugar. Been sugar free since 4th April (minus maybe 4 meals where I ate out)
    This is the part that cracks me up when I read these type of threads - I do no added sugar except... That means you aren't doing no added sugar - because it's not sustainable or necessary

    Wow that was a super helpful comment. Thank you so much.
    When I go out to eat, how am I know if the wraps that I eat have added sugar? How do I KNOW if the salad dressing has added sugar? I live in a country where the nutritional information is rarely available and if you ask the server quite often they don't know, and will ask the chef but hey, they are never quite 100% sure. Do I make bad choices when I go
    Out to eat? No. Have I had dessert in the last 2 months? No, have I eaten anything that I know for sure has added sugar? No, so before you comment on MY weight loss plan, and tell me that it "cracks you up" make sure you ask about the facts. I say "minus the 4 meals" because I am sure something in my meal most likely had added sugar whether that was a bit of mustard, or mayonnaise or some bread, but no I did not "cheat" and have a dessert.

    I am not at my goal yet, but am over 30lbs down and hey, it's working for me, so instead of cracking up, why don't you try supporting people on the thread who are trying to better their health and lifestyles! Jeez.

    In the overall context of what you eat, sugar (whether naturally occurring or added) in and of itself is not an issue, unless there's medical reasons for tracking it so carefully. For the rest of us, how much of it you consume is only an issue if it puts you in a calorie excess. Does the wrap I ate for lunch yesterday have added sugar? It could. Do I care? No. I don't care because whatever tiny bit may or may not be in there is irrelevant when viewed within the bigger picture which is everything I ate that day that was well within my calories, macros and micros allotments.

    Majoring in the minors is frustrating, time consuming and counterproductive. Sugar is not evil. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,917 Member
    ameliadlt wrote: »
    I'm working on getting as close to whole and plant based as possible, following the 5 ingredients of less rule on any processed foods as well as no added sugar. I think its a good idea for everyone to rid things from their diet if only to feel how much these things affect you.

    Keep it up!

    Fries: 2 ingredients
    Mixed salad: more than 5 ingredients
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,577 Member
    ameliadlt wrote: »
    I'm working on getting as close to whole and plant based as possible, following the 5 ingredients of less rule on any processed foods as well as no added sugar. I think its a good idea for everyone to rid things from their diet if only to feel how much these things affect you.

    Keep it up!

    If you are trying to move toward whole foods it would be better to concern yourself with what ingredients are included rather than how many.

    I am a fan of whole foods. It takes effort and it's expensive in today's world, either in time or money. IMO it's worth it but rules like "shop the perimeter" "don't eat things you can't pronounce" "don't eat anything with more than <insert number here> ingredients" aren't needed.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    It is impossible to totally eliminate sugar, nor should you, your body needs it.

    Your body needs glucose not sugar. They are different things.

    I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative here. Sugar is something most people eat far too much of. If someone wants to do a detox for 30days why not? We do not NEED sugar, it's a substance that has no nutritional benefit to us.

    Glucose is sugar.


    Full Definition of glucose (Merriam Webster)

    1: a crystalline sugar C6H12O6; specifically : the sweet colorless soluble dextrorotatory form that occurs widely in nature and is the usual form in which carbohydrate is assimilated by animals

    2 : a light-colored syrup made from cornstarch


    Eliminating foods with added sugars is great. When you say you are going sugar free for 30 days, or however long, say you are eliminating candy, pop, cookies, cakes, pies, alcohol, processed foods, etc, not that you are going sugar free, it is impossible. Very misleading to say you are going sugar free.


    Sugar is made of 2 molecules: glucose and fructose. Glucose is a carbohydrate, and it is the fructose that is damaging to us not the glucose. Glucose is used by every cell in our bodies whereas fructose is metabolised by the liver, and that is what over long term excess consumption, will lead to insulin resistance and non alcoholic fatty liver disease, no I'm not
    Saying that people should never have sugar in their diet occasionally but nearly all of us eat far too much of it.
    The small amount of fructose in fruit is encased in fibre, not much of it is absorbed and you're getting all the other micro nutrients from the fruit, (obviously this does not include fruit juices).


    None of that is correct.
    Fruits have varying amounts of glucose and fructose. Apples have almost 50% of their calories from pure fructose.
    Fructose is also mostly metabolized into glucose, so...
    Interesting how something that doesn't affect insulin is supposed to lead to insulin resistance.

    Also Sugar as in table sugar, also found in many fruits naturally, also up to 50% of calories in fruits high in it, like pineapple.


    Ummmmm. I absolutely do not agree with you at all. Sugar as in sucrose, the white table sugar, and stuff that is added into lots of food, is one molecule glucose, one fructose. Fact. The chemical compound is C12, H22, O11, and they differ somewhat in their make up. You do not find table sugar in pineapple, you find sucrose yes, but not table sugar. Table sugar has been processed and bleached to within an inch of its life!

    And honestly, how on earth can you say that sugar things do not affect insulin? Why do you think diabetics cannot (or should not) eat sugars? Because insulin is needed to break it down, and a LOT of insulin is needed to break it down, which is the problem. You eat too much sugar, body releases insulin, you eat more, if releases more until the pancreas gets to a point it cannot produce enough to keep blood sugar constant. Insulin is released to tell the liver to turn sugar into fat. That is its job so too much sugar does not enter the blood stream.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    It is impossible to totally eliminate sugar, nor should you, your body needs it.

    Your body needs glucose not sugar. They are different things.

    I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative here. Sugar is something most people eat far too much of. If someone wants to do a detox for 30days why not? We do not NEED sugar, it's a substance that has no nutritional benefit to us.

    Glucose is sugar.


    Full Definition of glucose (Merriam Webster)

    1: a crystalline sugar C6H12O6; specifically : the sweet colorless soluble dextrorotatory form that occurs widely in nature and is the usual form in which carbohydrate is assimilated by animals

    2 : a light-colored syrup made from cornstarch


    Eliminating foods with added sugars is great. When you say you are going sugar free for 30 days, or however long, say you are eliminating candy, pop, cookies, cakes, pies, alcohol, processed foods, etc, not that you are going sugar free, it is impossible. Very misleading to say you are going sugar free.


    Sugar is made of 2 molecules: glucose and fructose. Glucose is a carbohydrate, and it is the fructose that is damaging to us not the glucose. Glucose is used by every cell in our bodies whereas fructose is metabolised by the liver, and that is what over long term excess consumption, will lead to insulin resistance and non alcoholic fatty liver disease, no I'm not
    Saying that people should never have sugar in their diet occasionally but nearly all of us eat far too much of it.
    The small amount of fructose in fruit is encased in fibre, not much of it is absorbed and you're getting all the other micro nutrients from the fruit, (obviously this does not include fruit juices).


    None of that is correct.
    Fruits have varying amounts of glucose and fructose. Apples have almost 50% of their calories from pure fructose.
    Fructose is also mostly metabolized into glucose, so...
    Interesting how something that doesn't affect insulin is supposed to lead to insulin resistance.

    Also Sugar as in table sugar, also found in many fruits naturally, also up to 50% of calories in fruits high in it, like pineapple.


    Ummmmm. I absolutely do not agree with you at all. Sugar as in sucrose, the white table sugar, and stuff that is added into lots of food, is one molecule glucose, one fructose. Fact. The chemical compound is C12, H22, O11, and they differ somewhat in their make up. You do not find table sugar in pineapple, you find sucrose yes, but not table sugar. Table sugar has been processed and bleached to within an inch of its life!

    And honestly, how on earth can you say that sugar things do not affect insulin? Why do you think diabetics cannot (or should not) eat sugars? Because insulin is needed to break it down, and a LOT of insulin is needed to break it down, which is the problem. You eat too much sugar, body releases insulin, you eat more, if releases more until the pancreas gets to a point it cannot produce enough to keep blood sugar constant. Insulin is released to tell the liver to turn sugar into fat. That is its job so too much sugar does not enter the blood stream.

    Of course you don't find table sugar in fruits. This is a circular argument though. It's table sugar specifically because it has been processed from another source.

    Aside from misconceptions about what "processing" means, why does this matter though?
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Why does it matter for people eating it, or why does it matter for me to feel the need to correct others?

    If I see people writing stuff that isn't correct then I will say I don't think it's correct. For me personally, I don't want to eat table sugar, or anything with added sugar.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    While it's true that sugar isn't evil, we as a society do consume WAY too much of it. Cutting back a lot is probably a great idea but don't make yourself crazy when it is impossible to know or control like at a restaurant or a friend's home.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,193 Member
    Why does it matter for people eating it, or why does it matter for me to feel the need to correct others?

    If I see people writing stuff that isn't correct then I will say I don't think it's correct. For me personally, I don't want to eat table sugar, or anything with added sugar.

    Sugar, from any source affects, and is processed in our body's the same way.

    What difference does it make whether or not it is table sugar, processed from beets or cane or corn or anything? Just wondering as you think what others are saying is incorrect.

  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    While it's true that sugar isn't evil, we as a society do consume WAY too much of it. Cutting back a lot is probably a great idea but don't make yourself crazy when it is impossible to know or control like at a restaurant or a friend's home.


    Thanks, no I don't make myself crazy, I was just replying to a not so helpful comment earlier about someone who said how hilarious it was when people claim they're following an approach and basically cop out a few times. It annoyed me, I make good choices when I go out
    To eat, but no I don't get crazy about it, the think is after cutting it out, I don't want it any more, the cravings have gone and it's almost undesirable to me
    Now for the most part. I almost don't know why I'm trying to justify myself, and the way I'm losing weight, but I feel the need to. So anyway, that's what I'm up to, and currently it's working for me, and I do intend to continue doing this for a long time to come. :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,193 Member
    While it's true that sugar isn't evil, we as a society do consume WAY too much of it. Cutting back a lot is probably a great idea but don't make yourself crazy when it is impossible to know or control like at a restaurant or a friend's home.

    Cutting back is one thing (which most people would agree with), going sugar free (OP's topic) is quite another thing.

  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,577 Member
    Why does it matter for people eating it, or why does it matter for me to feel the need to correct others?

    If I see people writing stuff that isn't correct then I will say I don't think it's correct. For me personally, I don't want to eat table sugar, or anything with added sugar.

    It's incorrect to say that table sugar has "been processed and bleached to within an inch of its life!" since table sugar is not alive.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,484 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I'm doing no added sugar. Been sugar free since 4th April (minus maybe 4 meals where I ate out)
    This is the part that cracks me up when I read these type of threads - I do no added sugar except... That means you aren't doing no added sugar - because it's not sustainable or necessary

    I agree, lol.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,484 Member
    It is impossible to totally eliminate sugar, nor should you, your body needs it.

    Your body needs glucose not sugar. They are different things.

    I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative here. Sugar is something most people eat far too much of. If someone wants to do a detox for 30days why not? We do not NEED sugar, it's a substance that has no nutritional benefit to us.

    Glucose is sugar.


    Full Definition of glucose (Merriam Webster)

    1: a crystalline sugar C6H12O6; specifically : the sweet colorless soluble dextrorotatory form that occurs widely in nature and is the usual form in which carbohydrate is assimilated by animals

    2 : a light-colored syrup made from cornstarch


    Eliminating foods with added sugars is great. When you say you are going sugar free for 30 days, or however long, say you are eliminating candy, pop, cookies, cakes, pies, alcohol, processed foods, etc, not that you are going sugar free, it is impossible. Very misleading to say you are going sugar free.


    Sugar is made of 2 molecules: glucose and fructose. Glucose is a carbohydrate, and it is the fructose that is damaging to us not the glucose. Glucose is used by every cell in our bodies whereas fructose is metabolised by the liver, and that is what over long term excess consumption, will lead to insulin resistance and non alcoholic fatty liver disease, no I'm not
    Saying that people should never have sugar in their diet occasionally but nearly all of us eat far too much of it.
    The small amount of fructose in fruit is encased in fibre, not much of it is absorbed and you're getting all the other micro nutrients from the fruit, (obviously this does not include fruit juices).


    None of that is correct.
    Fruits have varying amounts of glucose and fructose. Apples have almost 50% of their calories from pure fructose.
    Fructose is also mostly metabolized into glucose, so...
    Interesting how something that doesn't affect insulin is supposed to lead to insulin resistance.

    Also Sugar as in table sugar, also found in many fruits naturally, also up to 50% of calories in fruits high in it, like pineapple.
    ameliadlt wrote: »
    I'm working on getting as close to whole and plant based as possible, following the 5 ingredients of less rule on any processed foods as well as no added sugar. I think its a good idea for everyone to rid things from their diet if only to feel how much these things affect you.

    Keep it up!

    Fries: 2 ingredients
    Mixed salad: more than 5 ingredients

    BOOM!!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,484 Member
    Why does it matter for people eating it, or why does it matter for me to feel the need to correct others?

    If I see people writing stuff that isn't correct then I will say I don't think it's correct. For me personally, I don't want to eat table sugar, or anything with added sugar.

    Sugar comes from sugar cane or sugar beets, both are plants.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,128 Member
    It is impossible to totally eliminate sugar, nor should you, your body needs it.

    Your body needs glucose not sugar. They are different things.

    I really don't understand why everyone is being so negative here. Sugar is something most people eat far too much of. If someone wants to do a detox for 30days why not? We do not NEED sugar, it's a substance that has no nutritional benefit to us.

    Glucose is sugar.


    Full Definition of glucose (Merriam Webster)

    1: a crystalline sugar C6H12O6; specifically : the sweet colorless soluble dextrorotatory form that occurs widely in nature and is the usual form in which carbohydrate is assimilated by animals

    2 : a light-colored syrup made from cornstarch


    Eliminating foods with added sugars is great. When you say you are going sugar free for 30 days, or however long, say you are eliminating candy, pop, cookies, cakes, pies, alcohol, processed foods, etc, not that you are going sugar free, it is impossible. Very misleading to say you are going sugar free.


    Sugar is made of 2 molecules: glucose and fructose. Glucose is a carbohydrate, and it is the fructose that is damaging to us not the glucose. Glucose is used by every cell in our bodies whereas fructose is metabolised by the liver, and that is what over long term excess consumption, will lead to insulin resistance and non alcoholic fatty liver disease, no I'm not
    Saying that people should never have sugar in their diet occasionally but nearly all of us eat far too much of it.
    The small amount of fructose in fruit is encased in fibre, not much of it is absorbed and you're getting all the other micro nutrients from the fruit, (obviously this does not include fruit juices).


    None of that is correct.
    Fruits have varying amounts of glucose and fructose. Apples have almost 50% of their calories from pure fructose.
    Fructose is also mostly metabolized into glucose, so...
    Interesting how something that doesn't affect insulin is supposed to lead to insulin resistance.

    Also Sugar as in table sugar, also found in many fruits naturally, also up to 50% of calories in fruits high in it, like pineapple.


    Ummmmm. I absolutely do not agree with you at all. Sugar as in sucrose, the white table sugar, and stuff that is added into lots of food, is one molecule glucose, one fructose. Fact. The chemical compound is C12, H22, O11, and they differ somewhat in their make up. You do not find table sugar in pineapple, you find sucrose yes, but not table sugar. Table sugar has been processed and bleached to within an inch of its life!

    And honestly, how on earth can you say that sugar things do not affect insulin? Why do you think diabetics cannot (or should not) eat sugars? Because insulin is needed to break it down, and a LOT of insulin is needed to break it down, which is the problem. You eat too much sugar, body releases insulin, you eat more, if releases more until the pancreas gets to a point it cannot produce enough to keep blood sugar constant. Insulin is released to tell the liver to turn sugar into fat. That is its job so too much sugar does not enter the blood stream.

    Table sugar is 100% sucrose. It is identical in chemical makeup to the sucrose in pineapples. So yes, table sugar is naturally occurring in fruit.

    As for the insulin thing, the reason diabetics have to be careful with sugar intake is due to the fact that they have a disease which causes their insulin receptors to malfunction. The receptors do not recognize the presence of insulin (insulin resistance) and so glucose in the blood is not properly processed. Recognizing that there is still glucose in the blood, the pancreas produces more insulin and so on.

    This is a symptom of the disease. The problem is that the insulin receptors don't function properly.
    So what causes it? Fructose? Nope, fructose (as already explained) is metabolized in the liver and doesn't trigger an insulin response.
    Glucose? Nope. While sensitivity to glucose is a symptom of diabetes, intake of glucose is not believed to be a cause for the disease (much like a head cold may cause sneezing but working in a dusty room doesn't cause head colds).
    Actually, the three main culprits we know of (and there is a LOT of research which supports this) are genetics, obesity and a sedentary lifestyle.
    We can't do anything about our genetics. So the best advice for avoiding diabetes is not to avoid sugar but rather to control the other two known factors by staying active and maintaining a healthy body weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    Why does it matter for people eating it, or why does it matter for me to feel the need to correct others?

    If I see people writing stuff that isn't correct then I will say I don't think it's correct. For me personally, I don't want to eat table sugar, or anything with added sugar.

    The issue isn't your personal preferences (we all have them), but the information you're providing.