10 weeks - 1500 calories - no change :(

Options

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to derail the thread. I was using Coke as an example. Another example is yes, a donut. 300 to 400 calories and you are are done in four bites, with zero satiety. Trying to lose weight? Don't eat donuts.

Who says people all experience "zero satiety" from donuts? Who here is suggesting this? What does this have to do with the OP?
  • sherryzm24
    sherryzm24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    trixiex wrote: »
    Hi! I would love some advice and shared experiences. I've been eating 1500 calories per day for 10 weeks now. This is a 20% calorie deficit and I should be shifting 0.5kg per week. I doubt I could eat less than this without being angry and tired!
    I exercise most days: cycling to and from work, rowing competitively, weight training and rowing machine. I have a polar heart rate monitor with chest strap which is pretty accurate in calculating calories burned so was logging exercise each day but rounding down the calories burned to the nearest 100 in case there was any overestimation. After 8 weeks of no progress I started to only log 80% of calories burned so that I was not eating back 100% of burned calories.
    But, there is no progress. My weight, measurements and % body fat are all the same!!!

Please help!

I don't want to start a debate on eating back calories or get people's backs up, but please don't advise me to stop eating exercise calories back. I am a competitive (but chunky) athlete so need to make sure my body is adequately fuelled. I can easily burn 900 calories each day in exercise so, if I was to only eat 1500 calories, my net calories would only be 600 to fuel my body for the remainder of the day.

:(

Reduce your caloric intake 20% to what you are eating and try to eat foods that fits your macros.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    And for heavens sake, why is this person on a calorie counting forum?

Where does it say this is a calorie counting forum? It says it's a weight loss forum. I did not know that you had to agree that counting calories is the best way to lose weight.

My wife and I are doing great just by greatly reducing refined sugar and junk carbs (bread, cereal, pasta, potato chips, etc.). And despite cutting all out all this stuff, we are never overly hungry. Much easier than weighing and measuring food.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If counting calories were so easy, companies like Nutri Systems would not exist.
  • judithdupree
    judithdupree Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would love some advice and shared experiences. I've been eating 1500 calories per day for 10 weeks now. This is a 20% calorie deficit and I should be shifting 0.5kg per week. I doubt I could eat less than this without being angry and tired!
    I exercise most days: cycling to and from work, rowing competitively, weight training and rowing machine. I have a polar heart rate monitor with chest strap which is pretty accurate in calculating calories burned so was logging exercise each day but rounding down the calories burned to the nearest 100 in case there was any overestimation. After 8 weeks of no progress I started to only log 80% of calories burned so that I was not eating back 100% of burned calories.
    But, there is no progress. My weight, measurements and % body fat are all the same!!!

Please help!

I don't want to start a debate on eating back calories or get people's backs up, but please don't advise me to stop eating exercise calories back. I am a competitive (but chunky) athlete so need to make sure my body is adequately fuelled. I can easily burn 900 calories each day in exercise so, if I was to only eat 1500 calories, my net calories would only be 600 to fuel my body for the remainder of the day.

:(

R U watching your sodium intake? R u watching calories burned weekly. For example , my calorie burn is 2500 weekly. What's yours?
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 171lb, target weight is 156lb, height is 5' 8" (173cm). I don't really know where that puts me in the grand scheme of things.

Water - probably not enough!!! A few cups of mint tea during the day and maybe a litre of water.

Increase my calories - really? sounds awesome!

Nothing really to add, but Twinsies! I'm 5'8", 37, and currently 171 and trying to get back in the 150s. On exercise days, my TDEE (per fitbit and when I'm tracking my eating I lose as expected) is around 2500 so I generally get away with eating around 2000 to lose 1 lb per week.
  • duckforceone
    duckforceone Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    don't focus on what apps or calculators say you need to eat. If you keep gaining, then you just need to eat less. Not everyone is the same.

I'm a 100kg guy, and the only way i have lost 10kg now, is because i am eating way below what the numbers say i need to eat at my size and how much i move.

so if you eat at some level for 3 weeks and it's not moving, eat less.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site and I find most of these posts incredulous. I lost my needed weight and never counted a single calorie.

I recently took my daughter, who needs to lose about 25 lbs., to a nutritionist. The nutritionist is strongly opposed to calorie counting because for two reasons - 1) Most people will fail at it because who really wants to weigh and measure food every time you eat or drink something?; 2) All calories are not the same. Our bodies are not bunsen burners.

Somehow, she manages to have a very successful practice.

I realize nobody here is suggesting that you should eat 1,500 calories of donuts everyday. But everyone here is emphatically stating that if you took a couple of hundred people and fed them 1,500 calories of donuts for three months, and you took a couple of hundred people and fed them a healthy 1,500-calorie diet that minimized refined sugar and minimized junk carbohydrates for three months, the weight results for all the people would be EXACLTY THE SAME.

You don't need a degree in nutrition or biochemistry or be a registered dietician to know that the healthy diet people would lose more weight. It's common sense.

*yawn* yeah we've done that one:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

*stamps post with 'Must Try Harder'*
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    *eats too many calories*
    *complains about not losing weight*
    *tells people to NOT recommend eating less*
    ???
    *profit*

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost anything in 10 weeks you can't be eating 1500 calories, in other words there is inaccurate logging and you are eating more than you think.
    I haven't read through all the replies so no doubt I'm repeating what many have said - use a food scale, weigh everything and when you do really eat 1500 calories for sure you will lose.

All the best.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    My current weight is 171lb, target weight is 156lb, height is 5' 8" (173cm). I don't really know where that puts me in the grand scheme of things.

Water - probably not enough!!! A few cups of mint tea during the day and maybe a litre of water.

Increase my calories - really? sounds awesome!

No, don't increase the calories! to lose you need to log your calories accurately and stick to 1500 for now...
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain the logic of eating only 1500 calories (or less) at the start of your weight loss journey to create an alleged defict?

As you lose weight, you have to eat less because you do not need the calories to sustain your bulk. So if like me you have 70lbs to lose i guess I will be down to about 1200 calories per day to lose my last 10lbs. How healthy is that?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Breizier wrote: »
    Can someone explain the logic of eating only 1500 calories (or less) at the start of your weight loss journey to create an alleged defict?

As you lose weight, you have to eat less because you do not need the calories to sustain your bulk. So if like me you have 70lbs to lose i guess I will be down to about 1200 calories per day to lose my last 10lbs. How healthy is that?

Generally as you lose you'll also want to reduce your rate of loss to save muscle, so those final ten pounds should be done at half a pound a week. Unless you're shorter, older, and sedentary, that should put you above 1200 calories.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    WallBilly wrote: »
    OK. Final decision. 1850 calories per day. No change to exercise and strength training, just not logging the calories.
    And completely brutal with weighing food! I'm even going to start weighing coconut oil instead of using a spoon. And my bunch of grapes. (can I take them off the stalks for weighing? :p)

I'm not sure how you're going to accurately weigh oils, but I'd suggest using an accurate set of measuring spoons instead of normal silverware.

I have had very good luck eating back most or all of my cardio calories, but either ignoring the weightlifting, or just giving myself 200 calories per hour, which is completely offset by the 150 calorie protein shake that I down after lifting for 45 minutes.

in ml on a scale
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    If counting calories were so easy, companies like Nutri Systems would not exist.

Oh yes the lazy ones