Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Simple solution.....

Delete FB.

I know shocking.

I did this two years ago......haven't missed a thing........
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I linked my untappd account to FB. But my casual FB friends decided I must be a budding alcoholic, so I stopped. I mean, I'm proud of my "Take it Easy", "Legendary", and "Top of the Mornin" badges, but I can see how they might be misconstrued.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I started an instagram to avoid inundating facebook with my fitness stuff. I feel like instagram is better for posting such specifics, whereas facebook is more for socializing. The few followers I have on instagram choose to follow me based on my content. The few friends I have on facebook were there long before I started with the fitness stuff.. I guess I prefer to share that stuff with people who I know are interested.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The only time I post about the gym is if something interesting happens, which is rare. Food is only shared if I find a good recipe and I think that someone else would enjoy it. I figure that if I want to go into details about workouts or weight loss that is what my MFP home page and friends are for.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    The reality on FB: no one really cares what you do. They care about what they do. You get a lot of pacification there.

I host an accountability workout thread here to help others keep accountability and possibly exchange some workout ideas and/or answer questions. And I'll give it to you straight if I don't think what program you're doing is conducive to your goals. For FREE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What was the picture in poor taste of? Someone describe throughly, please. That has to be the most interesting part of this?

Only reason I was still reading this thread on page three was with the hope that someone had quoted it with the picture in it.

Guess now I'll never know.

:disappointed:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Saeraphine wrote: »
    If you feel the need to post this but want to keep the tone positive, listing the positive reasons for your actions, I think it may be best to remove the finger pointing "you" wording and change to a neutral tone "people".

Example:
    Y'all are posting pictures of your kids that you're proud of. Your car that you love. Your weekend plans the consist of booze.
    People are posting pictures of their kids that they're proud of. The car that they love. Their weekend plans that consist of booze.

And maybe re-word 4 to say "My wall is for posting what I like, not necessarily what others will like. If someone doesn't appreciate my posts, I encourage them to make use of the unfollow option, which will make both of us happier."

Nah.
    OP should name names. Call those boozy helicopter parents out.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to post this but want to keep the tone positive, listing the positive reasons for your actions, I think it may be best to remove the finger pointing "you" wording and change to a neutral tone "people".

Example:
    Y'all are posting pictures of your kids that you're proud of. Your car that you love. Your weekend plans the consist of booze.
    People are posting pictures of their kids that they're proud of. The car that they love. Their weekend plans that consist of booze.

And maybe re-word 4 to say "My wall is for posting what I like, not necessarily what others will like. If someone doesn't appreciate my posts, I encourage them to make use of the unfollow option, which will make both of us happier."

Nah.
    OP should name names. Call those boozy helicopter parents out.

Ha!! Yeah: "Stop watching your kids for a minute and LOOK AT ME!"

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Could someone just post the pic again??
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Example:

Better yet, "you people," because that's really not offensive. :D

kCB7xJY.png
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Please add me on FB before posting. Facebook drama: I like that ish.

ashley-benson-popcorn-gif.gif?gs=a

P.S. Isn't MFP where you should log/post workouts to be inspiring/accountable?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Nobody cares about why you post about the gym just like nobody cares when you post about the actual gym. It's self serving. But that's what Facebook is for.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    It's a tough balance. I notice my friends that don't workout can easily get annoyed by mytalking about planning a deficit for a cupcake or the enthusiasm I have for the gym, but I keep the gym off my facebook page because I have found facebook private groups of like-minded women. We post our fit checkins and gym rants and it is wonderful. If you feel the need to explain yourself, that worries me that you are getting more negative responses than positive ones and maybe you should consider having a group page where you can post without being attacked. However, if you choose to continue using your personal page, I would do so without explanation and just unfriend anyone who is negative about it in your life. You don't need that negativity or anyone that doesn't support you in your goals.

If I saw someone post that on Facebook I would roll my eyes into the back of my head and then probably go blind

Just like many have said that MFP isn't Facebook, Facebook isn't MFP either. Know your audience. Cause if you weren't posting it for an audience you'd be writing it in your diary, not blasting it on social media

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I generally find the people who post about going to the gym all the time are the ones that aren't consistently at it year round 4-6 days a week. They tend to be the people that come and go and get really motivated for a few weeks then drop off. When you have consistency built into your routine you don't need to post on facebook plus if I posted every time I went to the gym it would be so boring. Then again, people post stuff on facebook all the time that is boring, attention seeking or otherwise inappropriate so I wouldn't probably be that out of place.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I don't think you owe anyone (especially on FB of all cesspools) an explanation for why you do what you do. Just keep posting your gym/meal updates and roll on. The fact you have to make a State of the Union address over something as personal as your fitness/diet just makes the matter more serious than what it really is.

You go to the gym. You eat chicken and broccoli. You are a beacon of health. Leave it at that. Some people will like it for what it is. But when you bring the megaphone and soapbox into it then you just might put off the few admirers you had. They don't want to believe exercise and food is THAT serious because the truth is it's not. Play it cool, sis. People will love that you're doing something positive for yourself but you gotta make it look like it's easy. Don't start screaming on people for pete's sake lol.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    @skinnyminikendra Facebook is not really about the individual -- that is for blogs and other media.
    Depending on your "friends," Facebook can be about connecting with other people.
    If you want friends and family to read and respond to your progress and motivational posts, post those things about once a week and keep them short.
    --
    Otherwise, do whatever you want because that is how lots of people that I ignore use FB.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just unfriend them or block their content...and move them into the same company that posts "quotes of the day," "checking in," and other trivial nonsense that clogs up my feed.

• kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I actually started posting my weight loss on Facebook on the day I lost 100 lbs. since then I continue to post and people actually do respond and I have had a few ask to join me at the gym so I can help them. My mom who just turned 70 also just lost 10 pounds and told me I was her motivation. So yes it helps me get to the gym even on the days I don't want to go!