My mistake with "Heavy Lifting"...

Options

Replies

• mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    consider the three years not wasted....at least you built strength and now focous on tension...thats the best way to sculpt your body
  • Ta11asan
    Ta11asan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I haven't been getting DOMS like i expected so i'm going to try and incorperate this into my lifting and see if it helps.

Tim
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Neuromuscular response > everything else :D
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just a little FYI: being sore or not being sore is NOT a good indicator of intensity or progress.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Sounds like more of a semantics argument to me--or originally misunderstanding the term "good form".
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you are using good form then you are focusing on the correct muscles for any given exercise so I am not really understanding what you mean.

She's referring to the mind - muscle connection that goes along with lifting. If you really focus your mind on the contraction and stress of your muscles you will see great results. Having good form is not the same thing.

What happens if you're not capable of establishing that "mind muscle connection?"
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Sounds like more of a semantics argument to me--or originally misunderstanding the term "good form".

I'm thinking along these lines as well. If we are talking about tightening your core- you ought to be doing that in compound lifts to protect your spine. If we are talking lifting heavy, then you are using the "targeted muscles" at almost max capacity (depending on how much of your ORM you are doing). Focusing on breathing? When I was taught "proper form" it was specific about when you breathe and how. So it sounds to me like we are still talking about "lifting heavy" with "proper form."

At any rate, I'm happy for you that whatever happened there worked for you.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. When I bike ride I tend to use my quads going uphill but if I concentrate on using my glutes more it totally changes the speed in which I can tackle the hill. Both muscles are used in going up the hill but the dynamics change when you change the primary muscle you are using.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If you are concentrating on intensifying the contraction of the muscle being worked, you will engage more muscle fibres and nerve connections into the movement and thereby encourage more strength and growth by engaging and causing more micro-tears in the muscles.

Surely its an old strength builders logic and technique that many have possibly forgotten; nothing "zen" about it.

Simple example would be performing a Bicep Curl in good form compared to the same good form but really squeezing the muscles at the peak of contraction. Or really contracting the biceps and back as you come down slowly through a negative pull-up.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    meh.

not sure if i buy it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Let me hazard a few guesses as to other mistakes you have made.

1. "DOMS is a sign of progress." -- it is not. More likely, it is a sign that you are using your muscles eccentrically rather than concentrically, which might have some interesting consequences (bodybuilders believe that this contributes to muscle growth, but I cannot find any links other than broscience classics to substantiate that).

2. "I can attain my desired physique by doing the right exercises." Your physique potential is determined by your genes, your body fat level by how much you eat (and how much muscle mass you have), and the body fat distribution by--again--genetics.

There are plenty of beautiful, attractively built and muscular women who couldn't squat their body weight. There are also some who are not considered conventionally attractive who lift at the Olympic level. See what I am saying?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something you like, but the sign of progress is the weight on the bar.

DOMS is not a sign of progress.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

1. "DOMS is a sign of progress." -- it is not. More likely, it is a sign that you are using your muscles eccentrically rather than concentrically, which might have some interesting consequences (bodybuilders believe that this contributes to muscle growth, but I cannot find any links other than broscience classics to substantiate that).

I rarely get DOMS, so interested in any other comments on this.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should of changed your routine if you didnt i always change it up now and then if i ve hit a 'plateau'.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I sort of understand what people mean when they talk about mind/muscle connection. In a lot of the compound movements it is easy for certain muscles to become dominant. When a lift is performed properly this should be minimized but slowly over time and as we increase weight this creeps back in even for advanced lifters. I think it still comes down to form and proper lifting but making sure the correct muscles are being activated is important.

http://youtu.be/5ULh_J5JI0w
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Contractions, baby.... contractions!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I rarely get DOMS, so interested in any other comments on this.

I would just say, consider yourself lucky!

There are individual differences in how much one experiences DOMS. Women's sensitivity to pain also changes throughout their menstrual cycle, so you might feel different amounts of soreness week by week. There are lots of studies on DOMS (mostly in sports medicine, looking for ways of treating or preventing it) but little in the way of consensus or an understanding of exactly what causes it.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank-you, now I know what the heck I'm doing wrong. Like yourself I been lifting heavy but not paying attention to my muscles. Thank-you.:cry::huh: :sick: :embarassed: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I like my doms. I catch your drift OP :wink:

ETA: my doms aren't crippling. I definitely feel the worked muscles, though. Felt the need to add that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just a little FYI: being sore or not being sore is NOT a good indicator of intensity or progress.
    This. DOMS means absolutely nothing. In fact, a properly trained athlete will rarely have DOMS.