My mistake with "Heavy Lifting"...

Options

Replies

• fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean :) Some lifts I have no problem focusing on the muscle groups but other times, like in bench press, I struggle with it. I have a problem thinking about squeezing my shoulders together during bench press. Anyways I agree with kidrobot that the amount of DOMS you have is not relative to how successful your lifting session was.

Glad you're feeling happier with your lifting and congrats on committing through 3 years of consistent exercise even though you weren't thrilled with the results!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    If you are using good form then you are focusing on the correct muscles for any given exercise so I am not really understanding what you mean.

I'm a bit confused about this as well. I appreciate your post, and I think it's something I need to be mindful of too, but doesn't "good form" indicate that you're using the proper muscles for the lifts? How could you be doing something with good form but not using the right muscles? I'm a little confused about that.

I have an idea of what you mean though... there are a few lifts I do that I don't feel in the right places... for example, chest exercises I NEVER feel in my chest, but normally in my biceps/triceps. I've triple checked my form and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything right, but it doesn't FEEL right. I have no idea where to go from here. Wish I could afford a personal trainer even for a couple of sessions. Maybe it would help me like it helped you!

Anyway, congrats on your success and thanks for sharing!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're thinking from a bodybuilding perspective and not a strength one.

Time under tension is important in bodybuilding to develop and exhaust the muscle, that isn't important in strength programs.

You can look at the before and after pics in the Stronglifts program and tell it's not a bodybuilding program, most of those guys look exactly the same.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why! I don't feel sore at all the next day, despite feeling so exausted during and directly after the workout! I feel like I push myself so hard, I practice good form, and thought I was doing everything right... but things like the squats I don't even feel my legs burn even a little :( I'm going to focus on each muscle group now and see if it makes a difference =) I'm so glad I read this before I spent more time lifting... I've only been doing it a few weeks now so this might help a lot =)
    You might also try sets of 15 using 2/3rds of your 5RM. So if you're doing 5 reps with 100 lbs, instead do 15 reps with 65 lbs. (Or if you can do 14 or 16, but it should get you in the ballpark)

Or, 20 reps with 60% of your 5RM.

Those will get you the burn you're looking for, and you should feel it the next day. :happy: But not everyone gets DOMS... I feel it later but it's not unpleasant, and I'm still making gains.

Also there's no reason you have to do only one rep count every workout, you can switch rep ranges and do 15's one day and 5's the next time, etc. (But remember to keep trying to progress your equivalent weight every time.)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Glad you shared what you learned for yourself, it likely will help many of us learn to focus more on everything it takes to lift well.

I think if it took hiring a trainer to help you learn something like this when you weren't satisfied with your progress..it was well worth it. Though I'm not so sure that all trainers are "uneducated'.

Good job!
    I've been lifting for years and know exactly what you're talking about. I actually don't tend to get sore anymore, but I am also pretty damn happy with my body changes and gains. I seem to hit new PRs about every two weeks having moved back noobie gains. Oh...if noobie gains lasted forever...

Anyways, yup. The mind is a big part of the focus of lifting. That is why I actually really enjoy lifting. When you're truly IN THE MOMENT, you can't be anywhere else. Yoga bores me. Lifting excites me. Go figure ya?
    love this post!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why! I don't feel sore at all the next day, despite feeling so exausted during and directly after the workout! I feel like I push myself so hard, I practice good form, and thought I was doing everything right... but things like the squats I don't even feel my legs burn even a little :( I'm going to focus on each muscle group now and see if it makes a difference =) I'm so glad I read this before I spent more time lifting... I've only been doing it a few weeks now so this might help a lot =)
    In order to focus on the muscle groups for a squat, you need to focus on your chest, abs, upper back, lower back, glutes, hamstrings, quads, hips, and calves. In other words, your entire body. That's called "lifting with proper form." The squat is a full body lift, not an isolation lift. What the OP is talking about really only applies to isolation exercises, like the biceps curl, or leg extension, not to a full body lift like the squat or bench press, or deadlift.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    bump

tumblr_me2cl7w2tn1qfe8teo1_500.png
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    This is true. Its all about connecting your mind with the muscle you want to work. Check out the guys in prison. They removed all the weightlifting equipment but they are still yoked!

This is so true, even though they still have a lot of good equipment! If you went to prison and came out fat I'll assume you were a prison *****.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    In order to focus on the muscle groups for a squat, you need to focus on your chest, abs, upper back, lower back, glutes, hamstrings, quads, hips, and calves. In other words, your entire body. That's called "lifting with proper form." The squat is a full body lift, not an isolation lift. What the OP is talking about really only applies to isolation exercises, like the biceps curl, or leg extension, not to a full body lift like the squat or bench press, or deadlift.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond. Actually Squats are one of the worst contenders I was referring to.

Essentially if you watched the form on my squat before vs. now you probably wouldn't see a difference. But I can tell you that I was ABSOLUTELY relying on my quads primarily. Not on purpose, but I was so focused on keeping chest up, position correct, etc. I was really relying on *whatever* muscle to perform the exercise. Now I'm actively squeezing glutes, vastus medialus, etc.

In other words I was performing the exercise with the proper *form* but using whichever dominant muscle to get me through the rep.
    I was so focused on just moving the weight that I wasn't actively contracting ALL muscles. Were my glutes engaged before? Sure, but I wasn't actively *purposely* MAKING it work.

I understand fully that I suppose proper form would include actively contracting all necessary muscles. What I meant is if someone were to watch my form, it was correct. But I was just pushing through the reps and moving through the motions NOT actively focusing on getting the most out of each targeted muscle.

As far as being *sore* or having DOMS as an indicator of results... I am aware. I have seen results in both measurements, body fat, and overall looks in the mirror. I was simply pointing out the fact that I was doing the same exercises which never made me sore all of a sudden I began having almost crippling DOMS. :P
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

oh... ok I only do squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and rows...
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm starting heavy lifting this week and am grateful for this thread!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I agree with this as well as all of the discussion regarding how DOMS is not an indicator of how effective your workout is.

IMO, you should always be aware of what your muscles are doing when you are lifting, but the focus changes based on experience. When you are a beginner, your focus should be on form and learning to do the compound lifts properly to avoid injury. When you reach an intermediate/advanced (dependent on the individual) is where I can see this mind/muscle connection coming into play....this is often times where you will find programs that include more of the "accessory" work conducive to bodybuilding. Probably not a coincidence.

Either way OP, I'm glad that you are finally seeing the results that you have wanted.....I don't think 3 years was a waste and glad you found a trainer that you like :smile:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    So by that logic, couldn't you just concentrate on your muscles and get them to grow?

Actually, a limited study proved just this:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportspsychology/a/thinkstrong.htm
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    So by that logic, couldn't you just concentrate on your muscles and get them to grow?

Actually, a limited study proved just this:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportspsychology/a/thinkstrong.htm
    TBH I would think it's very common to mentally rehearse one's lifts. I do that all the time and also do that with diving, video games, and pretty much any similar skill.:happy:

Also, not to split hairs (but here's the part where I split hairs) it didn't prove that muscles could grow, it proved that neural adaptation could occur, which isn't really surprising. It's also known that strength training only one limb will result in strength improvements on the opposing limb. :wink:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're concentrating on the muscle(s) being worked rather than the weight on the bar.

I get it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Appreciated this. You hear the stronglifts guy go on about 'heavier means more muscle' with no reference crap all the time and well, I guess that's not necessarily true in that situation. I was just curious if you could end up with the same results with a slightly lighter weight given a different circumstance. Not talking about comparing say p90x to olympic lifting or anything. Heffing around large weights != larger muscles...if only half the people who jerk the weights around with their half reps would realize this.

Just to clear up since there's argument:

I kind of get it...not so much for compound lifts but watching guys do curls at the gym and throwing something compared to not. Even if that's an exaggerated case. If you wanted to you can stay in the correct movement flexing and use momentum to get you past longer distances (IE you concentrate on a particular section allot but the rest 'cheats'). Like throwing a ball, initial acceleration is greatest. I think the OP is trying to say they're concentrating on not necessarily slowing the movement but making the distance and time graph different. IE the fastest acceleration gets slower and the slow parts of the acceleration get faster. Distance over time may remain the same. You're not concentrating on the strong muscles, you're concentrating on the weaker ones, which make sense since she mentioned concentrating on flexing (which you'd notice more at those points) and didn't say anything about slowing things down.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing! never thought of this :3
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you are using good form then you are focusing on the correct muscles for any given exercise so I am not really understanding what you mean.

There is a difference between moving weight and working muscles. Doing both well is the sign of an advanced lifter.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing this! I will keep it in mind while I do my strength training.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Bump. I like this.