My mistake with "Heavy Lifting"...

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion.

I guess it is like doing squats *kitten* to the grass while keeping your core engaged vs 1/4 squats with a butt load weight
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

1. "DOMS is a sign of progress." -- it is not. More likely, it is a sign that you are using your muscles eccentrically rather than concentrically, which might have some interesting consequences (bodybuilders believe that this contributes to muscle growth, but I cannot find any links other than broscience classics to substantiate that).

I rarely get DOMS, so interested in any other comments on this.

I would just say, consider yourself lucky!

There are individual differences in how much one experiences DOMS. Women's sensitivity to pain also changes throughout their menstrual cycle, so you might feel different amounts of soreness week by week. There are lots of studies on DOMS (mostly in sports medicine, looking for ways of treating or preventing it) but little in the way of consensus or an understanding of exactly what causes it.

In my experience, DOMS only occurs when I'm doing exercises that involve moving in ways my body is not used to while supporting a load. Once my body has gotten used to the movement itself, no amount of intensity or load increase will lead to DOMS ever again. The only thing that will is introducing new movements into the routine.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. It's good to be reminded of all the aspects of lifting.
    I second this. I've now come to realize that maybe I need to take a step back and not try to just lift as heavy as possible, but rather focus on what's actually going to make the changes to my body that I'll be proud to show off. I've just been going through the motions!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! You are so right. I try to remember to focus on the muscle groups I'm using. It's not always easy. But there IS a HUGE difference when I do. I can always use the reminder. Thank you!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For those of you confused or not getting it, read my post a page ago. This is not a mystery, it isn't zen. It's advanced lifting.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Okay so we're talking about trying to "isolate" muscles; that's what I'm getting from this. That is well and good if you're going to be like Kai Green and compete for Mr. Olympia or just go all out for the optimum physique.

But I want my lifts to work many body parts. I lift heavy compound lifts, or do things like pullups or other body weight exercises. I do these so that everything does get worked and I don't have to spend hours in the gym doing each body part independently. I have two careers, 3 kids, a wife, and I like to sleep sometimes. I don't have time to do a specific lift for each body part and I'd guess that I get a majority of the benefit of lifting with a small fraction of the time.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It sounds an awful lot like simply lifting your 10RM instead of your 5RM, for example. Like, if you use your 10RM and do it slowly enough that you can only get 5 reps out. Seems like it should have approximately the same result either way... same amount of tension, time under tension, volume, etc either way.

IOW you started increasing hypertrophy by moving from the strength rep range to the hypertrophy rep range.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for more understanding on telepathic lifting....:)
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dashforcover
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying the muscle-mind connection. I just started an exercise program and because I'm older and have some health issues, I decided to hire a trainer straight off. But this aspect never occurred to me. Right now, I'm just concentrating on remembering how many reps I have done. As the counting gets more routine, I'll work on this aspect, too.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    wait now if i have doms im doing it wrong?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So basically, you were lifting like a powerlifter versus lifting like a bodybuilder. That's all you had to say.

One focuses primarily on moving as much weight as possible and one focuses on aesthetics. Similar but different. All depends on your goals.
  • NinerUp
    NinerUp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is true. Its all about connecting your mind with the muscle you want to work. Check out the guys in prison. They removed all the weightlifting equipment but they are still yoked!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Can't say I thought I knew it all, but I did think I could learn what I didn't know through an app or YouTube or a fit was magazine.

I got some great workout ideas and learned all about form, but you're right - for is about more than just the overall motion. It's about which muscles you're activating and I was ALL over the map.

I know I wouldn't be anywhere near where I am today without my trainer. Just the little things that make all te difference have made her totally invaluable to me. Today was chest day and she mentioned that I might want to tuck my chin while doing a particular exercise because it's really easy to start doing weird things with your neck and end up with a strain and no results where we want them.

Guess who had a sore neck last week when I was on my own? Guess who was planking without even bothering to activate her abs?? This girl!

Anyway, glad you're getting the results you were looking for. A little guidance can go a long way :-)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite part of lifting
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why! I don't feel sore at all the next day, despite feeling so exausted during and directly after the workout! I feel like I push myself so hard, I practice good form, and thought I was doing everything right... but things like the squats I don't even feel my legs burn even a little :( I'm going to focus on each muscle group now and see if it makes a difference =) I'm so glad I read this before I spent more time lifting... I've only been doing it a few weeks now so this might help a lot =)
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So basically, you were lifting like a powerlifter versus lifting like a bodybuilder. That's all you had to say.

One focuses primarily on moving as much weight as possible and one focuses on aesthetics. Similar but different. All depends on your goals.

Thats not all she had to say :) This thread wasn't for people who know everything about lifting, and that includes knowing the difference between powerlifting, and bodybuilding. I for example got a lot from the thread and wouldn't have if she had said just what you just did. So thanks to the OP for not assuming we already know everything :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    So by that logic, couldn't you just concentrate on your muscles and get them to grow?

apparently they have done research proving that you CAN become better at something (playing an instrument or sport) by just THINKING, but it only works for the first couple weeks.
    (according to my internet-research-addict-teenager son)
  • 808haoleboy
    808haoleboy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for years and know exactly what you're talking about. I actually don't tend to get sore anymore, but I am also pretty damn happy with my body changes and gains. I seem to hit new PRs about every two weeks having moved back noobie gains. Oh...if noobie gains lasted forever...

Anyways, yup. The mind is a big part of the focus of lifting. That is why I actually really enjoy lifting. When you're truly IN THE MOMENT, you can't be anywhere else. Yoga bores me. Lifting excites me. Go figure ya?
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options

I think it's more about which muscle you want to be used dominantly in the exercise. Ex. If you're quad dominant but doing an exercise that is working the glutes and quads, concentrating on using the glutes more instead of the quads primarily. Those of us that are new to exercise have to think about using specific muscles.