Do you believe in fate ?

Options
kate141987
kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
I do, iv had a few things happen in my life that seem as if they were meant to be, situations that I just think are too meaningful to explain away as being purely 'coincidence'

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of fate is nice but is it just merely us looking for reasons for things? Like is there some cosmic force conducting our moves or are we just conditioned to always think that there's a reason for everything and fate is just one of those. That's my deep thought for the day
  • kate141987
    Options
    ejinvt wrote: »
    Not sure about fate, but I DO believe in karma!

Yeah I think if you put out negativity then that's what comes back at you
    You need to work at it I suppose
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    yeah no fate isn't real
  • kate141987
    Options
    It perhaps is a bit deep lol but I was pondering it today
    I think you make your own choices etc but iv found myself at a certain place or time when something really important has happened and unless I'd been there things would have turned out very differently so it got me wondering
  • looking4gains
    looking4gains Posts: 88 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Call me a romantic, but I believe in fate.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I think the idea of fate is nice but is it just merely us looking for reasons for things? Like is there some cosmic force conducting our moves or are we just conditioned to always think that there's a reason for everything and fate is just one of those. That's my deep thought for the day
    How about fatal attraction?
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    'Oh you have terminal cancer'... must be fate. 'How I met my serial killer when my car broke down'... must be fate. 'I lost my job and now I can't support my family'... must be fate. 'I was born in a poverty stricken country, I am abused, I'm starving and I die young'.... must be fate. You can't just take fate as all the good and interesting things that happen. If you do, then you have to see fate in the opposite way too.

Karma is not something in the air, all mystical and magical and vengeful... it's what you put out that tends to be what we get back in life. 'Tends' because of course this is not always true too. I understand wanting that feeling of a sense of fate or karma in life. I would like to think that someone somewhere is leading me down a strong path in life. I would like the mystical sense of karma to be true sometimes. But in my mind I just get past the fact that so many people in this world would need fate and karma a hell of a lot more than I need it!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not really. In the overall scheme of things we're bacteria. Fate is too powerful for us.
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I believe in the same thing as my high school math teacher.

"Life sucks then you die"

Wow.. wise man that math teacher
  • kate141987
    Options
    I used to be a carer for my mum but things turned sour and the family fell apart, didn't speak for like over a year.
    Then I got bk in contact with my mum, things were going ok.
    But I still hadn't seen or spoken to my dad or little brother.
    Then one day out of the blue I thought to myself "stuff it, I'm going to visit my dad and brother (they still hadn't spoken to my mum for over a year at this point)
    So I stayed over at my dads place, came home the next day to find a letter from the police that there had been an emergency.

Cut long story short my mum was in intensive care at hospital
    Had I not visited my dad and bro the day before, I wouldn't have had thier number to call them and let them know what had happened.
    So me my dad and my brother were able to be by my mothers bed side as she passed away.

That is something il be forever grateful for
    We all were together as a family when it mattered most

All because I decided to get back in contact with my mum the months before her death and because I decided (randomly) to pay my dad n bro a quick visit.

I personally find that set of circumstances amazing
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    I used to be a carer for my mum but things turned sour and the family fell apart, didn't speak for like over a year.
    Then I got bk in contact with my mum, things were going ok.
    But I still hadn't seen or spoken to my dad or little brother.
    Then one day out of the blue I thought to myself "stuff it, I'm going to visit my dad and brother (they still hadn't spoken to my mum for over a year at this point)
    So I stayed over at my dads place, came home the next day to find a letter from the police that there had been an emergency.

Cut long story short my mum was in intensive care at hospital
    Had I not visited my dad and bro the day before, I wouldn't have had thier number to call them and let them know what had happened.
    So me my dad and my brother were able to be by my mothers bed side as she passed away.

That is something il be forever grateful for
    We all were together as a family when it mattered most

All because I decided to get back in contact with my mum the months before her death and because I decided (randomly) to pay my dad n bro a quick visit.

I personally find that set of circumstances amazing

fate or a mere coincidence? Perhaps there are bonds in families that are stronger than anything we can explain? How do pets just "know" when something is off or odd. There's lots we can't explain but I think we are programmed to explain but maybe it is just life
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in fate as I don't believe in God. I think things happen and we either attach meaning to them or not, to varying degrees. There are people I meet and instantly know they're important to my life, although it takes time to see why - learning is the fun part.
This discussion has been closed.