Breastfeeding in Public....

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    but I don't understand why a woman can't throw a blanket over her shoulder and feed her child.

Would you like to eat your meal with a blanket thrown over you? I know I wouldn't.

When there is 100 degree heat going on (You know like the summer), I wouldn't want to wear a blanket on top of an already mini space heater, and I also don't want my child to be heat stressed...
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    but I don't understand why a woman can't throw a blanket over her shoulder and feed her child.

Would you like to eat your meal with a blanket thrown over you? I know I wouldn't.

When there is 100 degree heat going on (You know like the summer), I wouldn't want to wear a blanket on top of an already mini space heater, and I also don't want my child to be heat stressed...
    and if you put a blanket over a baby's head in any other situation, people would scream suffocation hazard & child abuse.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I was at a community pool and it was so hot (Orlando), I went to ask if there was an empty conference room I could use--one girl (she was no older than 18) said can't you use the bathroom. I told her-Do you eat in the bathroom? I just found some couches and fed my babe. I was looking for a cool place.

I had a hard time BF in public. It was more my insecurities. I felt very uncomfortable. I usually pumped for outings.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    People actually object to this? Really?

I would like to eat those people in public. Under a blanket though, in case any passers by were offended by justifiable cannibalism.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is great -so is sex. And scratching a really bad itchy butt. But I don't do any of that in public.

I have no issues about doing it discreetly. But these women who think they're Super Mom because they're allowing every guy in the room to see their tit ... well, that's pretty trashy. Cover it up! I don't want to see that ****.
    I can see more of your tits in your profile pic than I can most breastfeeding mother who don't use covers. I won't say you're trashy or tell you to cover up. I won't even say you think you're some kind of bikini model or something, wanting every guy on MFP to look at your tits (and stomach.)

I will say you're a hypocrite. And uneducated.
    Another great example of someone with absolutely no self-awareness.

In another of her photos, you can practically see her 'gina, her dress is so short.
    and in another thread a certain poster said that a woman who chooses to have a fwb because she doesn't want a relationship is a mentally deficient slut.

Slut definition: A slovenly or promiscuous woman.) So that is kinda correct.

But each to their own.
    in context, only if a fwb magically counts as more partners than a bf.
    maybe having 1 fwb = 15 one night stands?
    I'm curious how that is in any way connected to intelligence ...
    by the same logical contortionism that makes breast feeding trashy, i imagine.
    I looked through her post history. She likes to stir the pot. She rises to the level of pseudo troll, I think.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I was at a community pool and it was so hot (Orlando), I went to ask if there was an empty conference room I could use--one girl (she was no older than 18) said can't you use the bathroom. I told her-Do you eat in the bathroom? I just found some couches and fed my babe. I was looking for a cool place.

I had a hard time BF in public. It was more my insecurities. I felt very uncomfortable. I usually pumped for outings.

Honestly, I did too... Just because I am one of the overly endowed in the bust area and I just have plain insecurities with them anyway... but those are MY issues, not someone elses... I saw a lady once at Jason's deli who had an infant in a sling, in retrospect I suspect she was feeding them at some point in the sling, I don't think I would mind doing something like that because it is uber discrete. Other than that though, I was extremely grateful that NONE of my family gave me crap for breastfeeding, so I would do it front of them... and I will most likely do it front of my momma friends from sunday school because most of them are semi-crunchy anyway and they have breastfed in front of me too... I just thank my momma for breastfeeding my brother in front of me when I was younger... and no I'm not emotionally scarred and yes, I will breastfeed in front of my daughter too.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can see more boob walking though wal-mart on any day of the week then you see when i breast feed. And i don't use a blanket because the baby suddenly just pull it off and shows everything, when they get hot. All you have yo do is pull your shirt down around the baby and you really can't see anything.

In 1999 legislation passed in Missouri that would allow a mother, with as much discretion as possible, to breastfeed her child in any public or private location where the mother is otherwise authorized to be.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I say yay, not cause im being pervy, but if the baby is hungry, people should mind their own motha f**kin business and not give women crap about breastfeeding their child in public.

This
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Yay I guess since it's a natural thing but I see how some people could get a little put off by it in some circumstances. It's not like you can't just wait a few minutes to find a more private spot (which I guess most women do anyhow since I barely ever see any breastfeeding in public).
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is great -so is sex. And scratching a really bad itchy butt. But I don't do any of that in public.

I have no issues about doing it discreetly. But these women who think they're Super Mom because they're allowing every guy in the room to see their tit ... well, that's pretty trashy. Cover it up! I don't want to see that ****.
    I can see more of your tits in your profile pic than I can most breastfeeding mother who don't use covers. I won't say you're trashy or tell you to cover up. I won't even say you think you're some kind of bikini model or something, wanting every guy on MFP to look at your tits (and stomach.)

In another of her photos, you can practically see her 'gina, her dress is so short.
    and in another thread a certain poster said that a woman who chooses to have a fwb because she doesn't want a relationship is a mentally deficient slut.

But each to their own.
    I looked through her post history. She likes to stir the pot. She rises to the level of pseudo troll, I think.
    i actually think she is genuinely this... charming and intelligent.

"She rises to the level of pseudo troll?" But she only made 1 silly comment and you guys are looking at her profile, commenting on something else you find, making more rude comments. Where's the love? Common... No need to attack the poor girl, you just stoop to her level or worse.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

But each to their own.

"She rises to the level of pseudo troll?" But she only made 1 silly comment and you guys are looking at her profile, commenting on something else you find, making more rude comments. Where's the love? Common... No need to attack the poor girl, you just stoop to her level or worse.

i'm cursed with a thing i like to call 'memory', which forces me to be aware of other comments made by people elsewhere on the site. it happens from time to time, if you read more than one thread, that you'll notice the same people posting.

it's a curse, i tell you!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yay I guess since it's a natural thing but I see how some people could get a little put off by it in some circumstances. It's not like you can't just wait a few minutes to find a more private spot (which I guess most women do anyhow since I barely ever see any breastfeeding in public).

The trouble is that you are looking at it wrongly. If someone is put off by seeing a lady breast feeding, then that is THEIR problem, not the lady's problem. We can blame it on their deficient education, if you like, but the problem is theirs. The lady is not in the wrong.
  • Grace215lbs
    Options

But each to their own.

i'm cursed with a thing i like to call 'memory', which forces me to be aware of other comments made by people elsewhere on the site. it happens from time to time, if you read more than one thread, that you'll notice the same people posting.

it's a curse, i tell you!

I read that as if you were a pirate. Just the end. It made me giggle :3

Though it was more of a It be a curse, I tellzya!

Haha! Damn our social desires! And your amazing memory! Though I could use a better memory. What were we talking about! =O =P
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think people post their pics on FB so it becomes more the norm. At least that's what my friends do anyway. :) If we see more babies being breastfed, then hopefully more people will realize this is the best, most nutritious food we can give our babies and there will be less stigma. No judgements on people that don't breastfeed because even though it's "natural", it can be hard work! And some medical conditions can make it impossible or very difficult to breastfeed.

Thank you! I am all about nursing your child(ren), public, private, wherever. I really wanted to nurse my boys but the meds I was required to take (to keep me from having a stroke and leaving my infants motherless) was expressed in my breast milk so I fed them formula exclusively. I was distraught that I had to wean my eldest at 2 weeks and that was not helped by the nursing coach who reamed me out for not doing what was best for my child. Um yeah, because him losing his mother at 2 weeks is best. Oh! To the woman who said that it's more accurate to say that formula fed babies are "mentally deficient"...tell that to my honor roll (every semester) children who are routinely selected for advanced classes.

Sorry, rant over. OP, I fully support women who breastfeed in public.
  • Grace215lbs
    Options
    I think people post their pics on FB so it becomes more the norm. At least that's what my friends do anyway. :) If we see more babies being breastfed, then hopefully more people will realize this is the best, most nutritious food we can give our babies and there will be less stigma. No judgements on people that don't breastfeed because even though it's "natural", it can be hard work! And some medical conditions can make it impossible or very difficult to breastfeed.

Thank you! I am all about nursing your child(ren), public, private, wherever. I really wanted to nurse my boys but the meds I was required to take (to keep me from having a stroke and leaving my infants motherless) was expressed in my breast milk so I fed them formula exclusively. I was distraught that I had to wean my eldest at 2 weeks and that was not helped by the nursing coach who reamed me out for not doing what was best for my child. Um yeah, because him losing his mother at 2 weeks is best. Oh! To the woman who said that it's more accurate to say that formula fed babies are "mentally deficient"...tell that to my honor roll (every semester) children who are routinely selected for advanced classes.

My mother was the same when she had me as she had blood clotting....I wasn't breastfeed and grow up fine! I was awarded Yr 11 and 12 Dux, And i'm currently studying Biomedical science. So we can turn out perfectly fine.

Though for those mothers who can breast feed. I say go for it. No one should make them feel ashamed. That's what they're there for. I know i'll breast feed when I have children (If I can) and I won't be ashamed, i'll be decent about it and I will feed proud and strong!
  • k8blujay2
    Options

My mother was the same when she had me as she had blood clotting....I wasn't breastfeed and grow up fine! I was awarded Yr 11 and 12 Dux, And i'm currently studying Biomedical science. So we can turn out perfectly fine.

Though for those mothers who can breast feed. I say go for it. No one should make them feel ashamed. That's what they're there for. I know i'll breast feed when I have children (If I can) and I won't be ashamed, i'll be decent about it and I will feed proud and strong!

In all honesty, I don't see why women should be shamed either way... as long as they are feeding their children.
  • nikkishastid
    nikkishastid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I dont know why people get so upset.... have you not seen a boob before....??
    lol
    FEED THAT BABY!
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing a 22 week old and my 2.5 year old who looks like a four year old. It is always appropriate to breastfeed whether covered or not. Nursing is a public health issue. The more natural defenses against disease obtained the better it is for everyone. It is environmentally-friendly, cheap, healthy, and can help in preventing disease and cancers in the children and the mamas. So everyone wins when someone is breastfeeding.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to nurse with a blanket over my kid. I am quite busty and have to hold back my boob with my hand to keep from smothering the baby. Also they usually just fling off the cover and then your just left hanging out there.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My hope is for discussions like this to one day seem odd and slightly inappropriate because nursing your baby as nature intended will just be what women do, no matter where they happen to be when baby gets hungry. Women should be supported no matter how they choose to feed thier babies and should be only as "discreet" as they see fit.

I haven't read every post but I'm guessing the topic arose because of the woman on the train in the UK - she was feeding her baby behind the buggy, the conductor came past checking tickets then came back to say "Whatever you're doing take it in the toilet" (or words to that effect - certainly no more polite than that!) The Equalities Act (2010? earlier?) makes it illegal to disturb a breastfeeding mother or ask her to move - when the woman rang the rail operator the person on the phone (female) said "There's no such Act".

Yes, in the 21st century there are still such people! I fed both my babies - the first for 6 weeks the second for 4 months (and guess which one is the mummy's boy - yes, the younger!). A crying baby is a lot more annoying than a fed (and probably soon sleeping) baby!
This discussion has been closed.