Why is my daily calorie count so high?

Options
Is there is anyone else around 300lbs and have a high calorie goal? I'm 306lbs and my calorie goal is 2,410! I can't eat that much and end up with 800-900 calories left at the end of the night. MFP said that I need to take in more calories or it will not allow my post about being under my calorie goal any more.

Replies

• kevinhparker550
    kevinhparker550 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Other calorie counters say the same for someone at 300 pounds. Yeah you'll want to probably not want to get lower than 2000/day. What can haopen is your body slows your metabolism down so much that you will no longer lose weight and then you'll burn out and gain it all back.

Here's some good higher calorie snacks:
    -Bananas
    -Greek Yogurt
    -Nuts (they're fatty so not too many)
    -Eggs
  • kevinhparker550
    Options
    -Quinoa
    -Brown Rice
    -Oatmeal
    -Cheerios
  • kevinhparker550
    Options
    -Chicken
    -Fish
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Is there is anyone else around 300lbs and have a high calorie goal? I'm 306lbs and my calorie goal is 2,410! I can't eat that much and end up with 800-900 calories left at the end of the night. MFP said that I need to take in more calories or it will not allow my post about being under my calorie goal any more.

Are you set to maintain or lose? If to lose, how many pounds per week? Did you set it to sedentary or active?
  • Jenniferwhite1296
    Jenniferwhite1296 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm good at eating most of this stuff already but others I would have never thought of. Great ideas. Thank you!
  • Jenniferwhite1296
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Are you set to maintain or lose? If to lose, how many pounds per week? Did you set it to sedentary or active?

I set it to lose and I only wanted 2lbs a week. I set it to moderately active as I'm always on my feet running from one side of the building to another for my job. There is no sitting where I work
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I set it to lose and I only wanted 2lbs a week. I set it to moderately active as I'm always on my feet running from one side of the building to another for my job. There is no sitting where I work

For those stats 2400 is not extremely high.

Are you sure you are logging correctly?
    2400 calories is pretty easy for me to hit even when focusing on eating "healthy".
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE depends on your weight. The higher the weight, the more you burn just moving around. 2400 autogenerated by MFP makes sense for a 300lb person. As you lose weight, your tdee will come down and so will your daily cal goals.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Upping Fat intake is the easiest way to up your calories without having to eat a ton more food if you're not hungry. And make sure you're accurately weighing everything. Especially fats. They're so calorie dense it's easy to quickly over do it.
  • Jenniferwhite1296
    Options
    But I'm not hungry hahaha. I'm definitely going to try harder. I just can't seem to fit it in if I'm not hungry. I'll just have to add a little extra to every meal
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    But I'm not hungry hahaha. I'm definitely going to try harder. I just can't seem to fit it in if I'm not hungry. I'll just have to add a little extra to every meal

It's not uncommon to not feel hungry when you adjust your calories, especially if you make a drastic change.
    Often times making simple switches like eating a full fat version of yogurt, cheese, etc can fill in those calories without adding a ton of extra food to eat.

This whole process is not just about losing weight but learning to eat in a way we can continue after the weight is gone.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a huge deal to be under if you have a lot to lose.
  • Jenniferwhite1296
    Options
    Are you using a digital food scale to make sure your calorie intake is accurate? I eat about 2000-2300 right now and it's very easy to hit that.

I measure everything. I even have a scale for work, so if I decide to change my mind on the food I brought with me, I can measure the food I buy a the grocery store next door. I make sure I log everything down to the measurements of salad dressing I might use on my salad.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options

If you aren't hungry why add more to each meal? You'll just lose weight a little faster by eating less. As your weight drops your weight loss will slow.

Personally I'm a little jealous, I'm my goal is around 1900 and I'm a guy. 2400 sounds really nice.

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Are you using a digital food scale to make sure your calorie intake is accurate? I eat about 2000-2300 right now and it's very easy to hit that.

I measure everything. I even have a scale for work, so if I decide to change my mind on the food I brought with me, I can measure the food I buy a the grocery store next door. I make sure I log everything down to the measurements of salad dressing I might use on my salad.

Oh well then indulge in something you want with your extras! No where does it say that you have to cut out stuff you love just to lose weight. All this "clean" or "healthy" eating is over powering what weight loss really is and that's long term sustainability. Every time I've restricted or denied myself to lose weight, it works for all of a few months and then boom, cravings! Everything in moderation is a win win.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    Other than the suggestions that others have given you, you can also indulge in higher calories, less nutrient-dense foods. Something just to snack on like a serving of chips or something indulgent. If you're eating an apple, add a serving of peanut butter. If you're having some veggies as a side dish, add a little butter. Things like that will get you closer to a healthy calorie goal so you're not losing too quickly and your body is getting the fuel that it needs.

I would also suggest getting a food scale and weighing all of your dry foods (ie, anything but salad dressing and other liquids) because you may be eating more than you realize too. It's really easy to underestimate on things like peanut butter, etc.

Finally, and this is not supposed to be a personal attack, but I don't believe that you physically cannot eat more than you are right now. If 2400 calories is what you need to lose weight based on your current weight and activity level, you have been eating above that for a while to gain weight. That being said, foods higher in protein and fiber will be more filling so if you're eating more fruits and veggies and lean meats, you may feel fuller. This is why I'm suggesting adding in some more foods that you might have eaten before you decided to lose weight that you may be restricting now. The key is moderation, though. Eat one indulgent thing, log it, and eat more nutritious food the rest of the day. Basically, a twinkie here and there, or some chips, or a beer, or whatever won't hurt you and it won't slow your progress if you're staying within your calorie goals.

I agree with all of this
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    set it to inactive and it will decrease your calories.

Do this...then remember that you don't HAVE to close out your diary, and also, it really isn't a big deal if you go "under" a little sometimes.