Why is my daily calorie count so high?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    Other than the suggestions that others have given you, you can also indulge in higher calories, less nutrient-dense foods. Something just to snack on like a serving of chips or something indulgent. If you're eating an apple, add a serving of peanut butter. If you're having some veggies as a side dish, add a little butter. Things like that will get you closer to a healthy calorie goal so you're not losing too quickly and your body is getting the fuel that it needs.

I would also suggest getting a food scale and weighing all of your dry foods (ie, anything but salad dressing and other liquids) because you may be eating more than you realize too. It's really easy to underestimate on things like peanut butter, etc.

Finally, and this is not supposed to be a personal attack, but I don't believe that you physically cannot eat more than you are right now. If 2400 calories is what you need to lose weight based on your current weight and activity level, you have been eating above that for a while to gain weight. That being said, foods higher in protein and fiber will be more filling so if you're eating more fruits and veggies and lean meats, you may feel fuller. This is why I'm suggesting adding in some more foods that you might have eaten before you decided to lose weight that you may be restricting now. The key is moderation, though. Eat one indulgent thing, log it, and eat more nutritious food the rest of the day. Basically, a twinkie here and there, or some chips, or a beer, or whatever won't hurt you and it won't slow your progress if you're staying within your calorie goals.

Spot on, especially the last paragraph was what I wanted to mention to OP...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'm 306lbs and my calorie goal is 2,410! I can't eat that much and end up with 800-900 calories left at the end of the night.

Throw in some ice cream and make everyone jealous then.

Seriously though. I have no issue with ending up in a bigger calorie deficit as long as you stay above 1800 and aren't feeling groggy, grumpy, or such. And maybe you are eating a lot of lean meats and fruit to fill up and you can add more fatty meats and throw in pasta or such to be more caloric dense.

If you are losing and happy though, you're good.

All the best.

• Jenniferwhite1296
    Jenniferwhite1296 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think you're right. I went from eating huge servings of cereal, jelly beans, soda, and red meats. To zero soda, zero cereal, yogurt,nuts and pumpkin seeds, and only turkey and chicken with lots of veggies in between. I'll figure out where I'm going wrong. It's only been 2 weeks since I Started.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    It's only been 2 weeks since I Started.

Off to a good start and probably good to check now and not burn yourself out trying to do too much too quick.

• Jenniferwhite1296
    Jenniferwhite1296 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If it's just moving around all day without any heavy lifting, wouldn't that qualify as lightly active?

Possibly but I have a small farm at home as well that I'm also trying to take into consideration. It's a small bird farm about 20 chickens and 20 turkeys. That's a good suggestion
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think you're right. I went from eating huge servings of cereal, jelly beans, soda, and red meats. To zero soda, zero cereal, yogurt,nuts and pumpkin seeds, and only turkey and chicken with lots of veggies in between. I'll figure out where I'm going wrong. It's only been 2 weeks since I Started.

I wouldn't say you're going wrong. I think everyone here is just reminding you that you don't have to cut out foods you enjoy.

Personally, I don't eat much cereal anymore since it doesn't keep me full. I'm trying different kinds of granola and some high-fiber cereals to see if I can find something with a reasonable amount of calories that also fills me up and tastes good. Had some kashi stuff recently and it was way too bland for my liking. Did keep me full for less than 200 calories for the bowl, but the lack of flavor made me sad.

If you have calories to spare, have some jelly beans. Red meats aren't too bad on calories, either.

~Lyssa
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

It's pretty common to do that.

It takes a bit to figure out how to restrict food intake without restricting to the point you can't sustain it and bail on it altogether.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    For everyone telling to this OP that it's okay to seriously under eat and not too worry about it -
    Imagine what maintenance would be like if this OP lost all of her weight eating 900 calories?
    Imagine how fast she would lose if she continued to eat 900 long term and imagine all the stuff that could come along with it like loose saggy skin, hair falling out and all the things that come along with crash dieting ....

Or we could advise the OP to lose at a reasonable yet responsible rate while learning all the tools needed for long term success.

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    ^^ Agree with the above comments!

A lot of this is trial-and-error. You'll find that you spend a lot of time figuring everything out but that's not a bad thing. It will just mean that you know more in the end and you can be successful!
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used the Katch-McArdle formula to calculate my TDEE. http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Katch-McArdle-Calorie-Calculator-For-Men-And-Women.cfm
    You need to know your body fat percentage to use it. I have been weighing myself with a digital bathroom scale that measures body fat for several weeks so had a pretty good idea. I'm too overweight to use other body fat measurement methods, so this was great! This formula is especially good for both men and women, as well as those with high body fat percentage. After you figure out how many calories you're eating too maintain your current weight, (TDEE) it is recommended to cut no more than 20 to 30 percent for long-term weight loss. Good luck!
  • Smurfe04
    Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain @Jenniferwhite1296 I started this quest 2 weeks ago. I walk at least 5K every day. I have at least 1000 calories more I could eat every day but I am full. Today I could have eaten 1314 more calories but I am stuffed right now. Most days when I finish my log I get the same "You are not eating enough" message. I never thought anything would tell me I am not eating enough :D I feel better than I have in many many years though. I have lost about 12 pounds the past 2 weeks. I am very overweight (was 261 pounds 5'6" tall, 54 years old). I am still trying to understand this nutrition thing and know I still have lots of adjustments to make and tons to learn. I measure and weigh everything that goes in my mouth. This is my summary for today and I ate more than usual.

1680 GOAL 1250 FOOD - 885 EXERCISE = 365 NET
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Smurfe04 wrote: »
    I feel your pain @Jenniferwhite1296 I started this quest 2 weeks ago. I walk at least 5K every day. I have at least 1000 calories more I could eat every day but I am full. Today I could have eaten 1314 more calories but I am stuffed right now. Most days when I finish my log I get the same "You are not eating enough" message. I never thought anything would tell me I am not eating enough :D I feel better than I have in many many years though. I have lost about 12 pounds the past 2 weeks. I am very overweight (was 261 pounds 5'6" tall, 54 years old). I am still trying to understand this nutrition thing and know I still have lots of adjustments to make and tons to learn. I measure and weigh everything that goes in my mouth. This is my summary for today and I ate more than usual.

I'd be careful. You look like you might be double logging your walks. You appear to have a Jawbone Up linked and you are logging walks.

Also, as Malibu mentioned above, not being hungry does not mean you've eaten enough. Hunger is signalled by hormones. Drastically cutting calorie intake can affect hormones and hunger signals. Some anorexics report they do not feel hunger and they can literally be starving. It is the same as some obese people can feel almost constant hunger, yet are not starving.
  • Smurfe04
    Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @3dogsrunning the double calorie count thing was just today I believe as I tried 2 different fitness apps and the count I listed was edited. It originally showed 1819 calories burned through exercise and I deleted one of the apps and it changed to the current amount.

I also agree about the not feeling hungry. It has been very weird. The first few days I felt starved all the time, but the past 3-4 days, I have felt full after eating much smaller amounts and have forced myself to eat more to add some calories. Of my loss, about 8-10 pounds were the first week and this last week has been like 2-3 pounds.

I know this is all new to me and I have a lot to learn, hence why I am here trying to learn. The doctor said to cut calories to 1000-1200 a day but I do not believe he knows much about nutrition and is advising of 80's mentality for weight loss.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

In your case you really and truly aren't eating enough. Losing 12lbs in two weeks is pretty severe, even at your size. If you don't want to eat your exercise calories it's one thing, but not even consuming 1500 to begin with is too little.

**now we've hit some unhealthy advice in the thread.

Very much agree on both points!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This happens often with new posters who are motivated and exuberant about losing weight. They make such extreme changes, not only to the amount of calories consuming but to the types of food as well. As others have said, you can still work in those other foods that you enjoy into your deficit, after eating the nutrient dense foods you've recently added. Finding the right balance between the nutrient dense foods and the treats you used to enjoy can make the process more sustainable.

Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    @3dogsrunning the double calorie count thing was just today I believe as I tried 2 different fitness apps and the count I listed was edited. It originally showed 1819 calories burned through exercise and I deleted one of the apps and it changed to the current amount.

I also agree about the not feeling hungry. It has been very weird. The first few days I felt starved all the time, but the past 3-4 days, I have felt full after eating much smaller amounts and have forced myself to eat more to add some calories. Of my loss, about 8-10 pounds were the first week and this last week has been like 2-3 pounds.

I know this is all new to me and I have a lot to learn, hence why I am here trying to learn. The doctor said to cut calories to 1000-1200 a day but I do not believe he knows much about nutrition and is advising of 80's mentality for weight loss.

The big drop at the start isn't uncommon either and usually a lot of water weight.

I'm glad you are looking at trying to adjust your intake.