Why is my daily calorie count so high?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    For everyone telling to this OP that it's okay to seriously under eat and not too worry about it -
    Imagine what maintenance would be like if this OP lost all of her weight eating 900 calories?
    Imagine how fast she would lose if she continued to eat 900 long term and imagine all the stuff that could come along with it like loose saggy skin, hair falling out and all the things that come along with crash dieting ....

Or we could advise the OP to lose at a reasonable yet responsible rate while learning all the tools needed for long term success.

She said in her first post she's eating 1500-1600 calories a day (2400 goal, 800 or 900 short). I wouldn't call that a crash diet.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I used the Katch-McArdle formula to calculate my TDEE. http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Katch-McArdle-Calorie-Calculator-For-Men-And-Women.cfm
    You need to know your body fat percentage to use it. I have been weighing myself with a digital bathroom scale that measures body fat for several weeks so had a pretty good idea. I'm too overweight to use other body fat measurement methods, so this was great! This formula is especially good for both men and women, as well as those with high body fat percentage. After you figure out how many calories you're eating too maintain your current weight, (TDEE) it is recommended to cut no more than 20 to 30 percent for long-term weight loss. Good luck!

body fat scales are inaccurate and can be off due to water,waste,etc,you are better off using a tape measure.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Enjoy it while you can. I'm maintaining on 1800 and would love to be able to eat 2400.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Could you add in protein bars and/or shakes? When I started at 290lb my calorie goal was similar and that was for a 1lb/week target, even now at 206lb when all of my activity is taken in to account my goal can be anywhere from 2300-3500 for the day and there are days when I really struggle to eat that, so my usual target is around 2000. I eat protein bars that give me the taste of chocolate with extra nutrients to help reach this target and allow myself to eat whatever I want within the calorie allowance. It's chip van day here in the village, so today I'll be having a calorific sausage in batter and chips.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    The heavier we are the more calories we can eat to lose, so 2400 for you sounds about right - its actually a good thing as when starting out if you eat at those albeit higher calories and lose but you'll not feel deprived. It's better than half starving ourselves...right? :smile:

As your weight reduces so will the calorie allowance.

All the best.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited June 2016
    and seriously, you can't eat more than 900 calories?! how the 'eck did you get to that weight in the first place?? (I'm not being cheeky either, just being straight) - you need to eat more than you currently are or you will seriously mess with your metabolism/health.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited June 2016
    Is there is anyone else around 300lbs and have a high calorie goal? I'm 306lbs and my calorie goal is 2,410! I can't eat that much and end up with 800-900 calories left at the end of the night. MFP said that I need to take in more calories or it will not allow my post about being under my calorie goal any more.

AFAIK MFP only sends you that message if you're logging below 1200 calories, and won't let you close your diary below 1000. How are you getting it eating 1500 calories?

I can understand not feeling like you can eat more, not everyone is a volume eater (I gained all my weight eating very little in terms of volume, but boy did those little things have a lot of calories!). Add some more calorie-dense food to your meals.

Edit: I just tested it on my diary, that message only appeared when I tried to complete my diary under 1000 calories.
  • Jenniferwhite1296
    Jenniferwhite1296 Posts: 24 Member
    and seriously, you can't eat more than 900 calories?! how the 'eck did you get to that weight in the first place?? (I'm not being cheeky either, just being straight) - you need to eat more than you currently are or you will seriously mess with your metabolism/health.

I'm eating 1500-1600 and I still have 800-900 that I still have to eat by the end of the day.
  • Jenniferwhite1296
    Jenniferwhite1296 Posts: 24 Member
    Is there is anyone else around 300lbs and have a high calorie goal? I'm 306lbs and my calorie goal is 2,410! I can't eat that much and end up with 800-900 calories left at the end of the night. MFP said that I need to take in more calories or it will not allow my post about being under my calorie goal any more.

AFAIK MFP only sends you that message if you're logging below 1200 calories, and won't let you close your diary below 1000. How are you getting it eating 1500 calories?

I can understand not feeling like you can eat more, not everyone is a volume eater (I gained all my weight eating very little in terms of volume, but boy did those little things have a lot of calories!). Add some more calorie-dense food to your meals.

Edit: I just tested it on my diary, that message only appeared when I tried to complete my diary under 1000 calories.

They said it. So I asked about it. They said that I have to get closer to my goal. I thought about it all night and with everyone's suggestions, I'm trying a few things different today. I guess it's just going to be trial and error until I can get it right
  • LivingtheLeanDream

I'm eating 1500-1600 and I still have 800-900 that I still have to eat by the end of the day.

ah ok, so you are eating ok, that's good :smile: but its a good plan to eat those extra cals that you are due - try to add more dense calories if you aren't hungry, peanut butter/nuts etc.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    im 240 and my calorie intake is 2700 urs seems low for 300 pounds unless its because im a guy and very active
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    When I find that I have loads of calories left I eat calorie dence foods, peanut butter with my apple, or on toast. The odd drizzle of olive oil to cook my meat in, butter on my veg. All these things I've avoided in the past since the are high calorie but they come in handy xx
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Well.... I wouldn't have set it for moderately active. If you look closely at the descriptions, that's for a lifestyle that most Americans would call very active. Just walking around your building sometimes probalby isn't going to put you in "moderate," unless you really are on your feet most of the day every day.
    Have you ever checked your activeity with a pedometer? Is it over 10k steps every day?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited June 2016
    savithny wrote: »
    Well.... I wouldn't have set it for moderately active. If you look closely at the descriptions, that's for a lifestyle that most Americans would call very active. Just walking around your building sometimes probalby isn't going to put you in "moderate," unless you really are on your feet most of the day every day.
    Have you ever checked your activeity with a pedometer? Is it over 10k steps every day?

She says there is no sitting where she works. And she has a small farm where she tends to 20 chickens and 20 something else (sorry can't remember).
    I have myself set to lightly active and I would say OP is more active than I am from her description. I am on my feet a bit at work but also have periods of sitting.

I dont think it would hurt her to move down to lightly active but I'm not sure it's necessary.
  • blackaheep4288
    blackaheep4288 Posts: 41 Member
    Try avacados! High in good fats and high in calories. You can add it to sandwhiches, salads, nearly anything! I like to put some in a ziplock bag and add a little Sriracha with some garlic and onion powder. Easy to mix together and no mess! Just tear the corner off and apply where ever. This is great to use as a dip for veggies. Sometimes I mix a little teriyaki sauce in instead of Sriracha. That's great on chicken!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    edited June 2016
    im 240 and my calorie intake is 2700 urs seems low for 300 pounds unless its because im a guy and very active

I'm 323 and my calorie goal is 1850. I'm also 5'10 and female. Everyone is different

Edited for autocorrect
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    For everyone telling to this OP that it's okay to seriously under eat and not too worry about it -
    Imagine what maintenance would be like if this OP lost all of her weight eating 900 calories?
    Imagine how fast she would lose if she continued to eat 900 long term and imagine all the stuff that could come along with it like loose saggy skin, hair falling out and all the things that come along with crash dieting ....

Or we could advise the OP to lose at a reasonable yet responsible rate while learning all the tools needed for long term success.

^^^this exactly...
    First off I believe that the OP should try to get closer to her calorie goal because going too low can cause binging down the line. Or a ,"I give up, this is too hard". I know, I've been there.
    When you first start out and are eating at a steep deficit, you are excited about losing weight and are running on adrenaline. It can backfire because it can cause binge eating, night eating, and just general losing control of your will power and control of your appetite.
    Then there is the skin issue. Losing at a slower rate is better for EVERYONES skin, not just when it comes to loose hanging skin, but also to avoid that haggard look to your face that can come from rapid weight loss.

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    My calorie goal was never that high and I started nearly 400 lbs. Do you have your activity level set at the proper level? I was always at sedentary level and then logged activity separately in the exercise log. I was never more than 2100.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    DataSeven wrote: »
    My calorie goal was never that high and I started nearly 400 lbs. Do you have your activity level set at the proper level? I was always at sedentary level and then logged activity separately in the exercise log. I was never more than 2100.

She said her job makes her moderately active, and that is accounted for in the activity level.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

I'm 323 and my calorie goal is 1850. I'm also 5'10 and female. Everyone is different

Edited for autocorrect

You're my MFP twin! Or close enough.

I'm 322, 6'0", my calorie goal is 1830 as I entered my height as 5'9" to lower my calories slightly.

To OP, your activity level makes your calorie goal seem about right. I'm listed as sedentary, but with my normal Fitbit step count of 10K to 15K steps, my calorie goal jumps to around 2500. Sadly, I don't have trouble eating that amount.