Zimmerman vs. Martin

Options

Replies

• educ8tedsista
    Options
    Did he still deserve to DIE, once a life is taken there is no turning back, sadly GZ will probably walk, and sadly it will probably be some type of repercussions because of the failure of the justice system. I pray for both families HOWEVER GZ will get what he deserves either here on earth or wherever he goes after he dies!!
  • Hollypop725
    Options
    I honestly feel like, regardless of the outcome of this trial, some group of people will be outraged. If Zimmerman is found guilty, then many will proclaim that it is now illegal to defend yourself (as Zimmerman states that was he was doing in this case). If Zimmerman is found innocent, then many will say that an innocent boy was murdered in "cold blood" and the person that did it walked.

If he is found innocent, I agree with the many others who believe there will be riots. Zimmerman will fall off the face of the planet, just like Casey Anthony did because if he ever did go out in public, I think that one of the many Martin supports would surely try to kill him, and I'm sure he knows that.

I haven't followed much of the trial so I honestly don't have an opinion on what's going to happen. I know that either way, two families have had their lives changed forever. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
  • jennrox78
    jennrox78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have taught hand gun self defence both from the stand point of Texas law (not unlike Fl) and the execution of self defence. Like others have said, yes I think Mr. Zimmerman was a bit spring loaded. I do not question his passion for protecting his neighbors and community but I think it got in the way of good sound judgement. Regardless of if he should have stayed in his vehicle, and I think he should have, or not, then again IF Trevon attacked Zimmerman and regarrdless of his injuries Zimmerman felt his life was in danger then he had the legal right to defend himself. So at least now I feel it is a leagal shooting but not a good one, it could have been avaoided.

this!
  • ddxm
    ddxm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All of your posts on this topic reek of prejudice and latent racism. I'm white btw.
    Latent?...
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Honestly, after Casey Anthony walked... I have lost all faith in the Florida justice system.

QFTFT!!!!
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Zimmerman is not guilty. Martin was a pot smoking, gun handling thug.

He played a tough guy and got killed.

End of story

This is why it took 40+ days to arrest Zimmerman. Because there was no case! Public pressure is the only reason this case exists.

I would agree that he's not guilty of second degree murder and that public pressure played a role in Zimmerman being charged this way, but I disagree that he's not guilty of anything. I believe had he been charged appropriately with involuntary manslaughter (or voluntary) that he'd be found guilty, but he's not guilty of murder. Unfortunately one's trial begins on TV these days, especially in the US, and the public court seemed to find him guilty of murder in the first degree before a legal trial date was even set.

Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter, but not murder. Unfortunately that's not the charge and he will be going home after this.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    This is pathetic thread that should be locked. If it were about God, it would have been stopped 7 pages ago, but since it is about the murder of a black child and yes, 17 is a child. Anyone knows that, it doesn't take a degree to see that. If someone was stopping my son, he would probably not react with roses and flowers.

Get racially profiled because you drive a nice vehicle, live in a decent neighborhood, then come talk to me.

George Zimmerman was wrong, he had no business playing, judge, jury and executioner. Now you can all respond with your nasty snide remarks, I expect it. I see a lot of bigotry and racism here and MFP should be ashamed for letting it continue.

i agree with you on everything but having this locked. its good for people to discuss this. if anything it exposes the racists.

I suppose this is true. I'm full on "Tell me more" every time someone mentions race wars or being scared of black people's reactions or uses the word thug. The casual racism, bundled up as concern for the neighborhood/law/justice/society is my favorite because they don't even realize how what they say actually is projecting.

Those darn scary black people and their social pressure and the media (run by black people I guess) and their darn race war riots!

Meanwhile in Europe, people riot over football.

This I have to reply to. I have read more than one article, and seen the tweets myself, from black people talking about rioting and how they will go out and "kill a random white person" if Zimmerman walks.

I realize you want to think that people are making that up just to be racist, but it would seem they are given a damn good reason to be concerned.

Well if you saw it tweeted on the internet good lord knows it's gonna happen.

I didn't say it was made it, but I do believe the fact that people are taking tweets seriously and referencing something that happened 20 years ago as the reason a Race War is going to be started is rooted in some people's inherent fear of black people. They play nice in public but the minute a black kid is walking behind them they cross the street and can't resist glancing back in fear every 20 seconds.

Of course it's not inevitable. Let's just say I don't think many people would be surprised if it did. If it doesn't, I will be the very first person to apologize for thinking it very well could.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    lol GZ wasnt close to being killed. so if i have a gun..walk up to you and slap you...then you punch me can i kill you because i think my life is in danger?

Ok here's a test. Let someone get on top of you, grab your head and hit it against a sidewalk a few times and tell me if you don't have a fleeting thought of "hey, this could kill me."

Go...
    QFT

lol im losing a fight...there is an extremely remote chance i might die...ill just kill the guy..

yeah that makes sense

It actually does, its the law pretty much anywhere in the USA. Especially for fights you didn't start.

I'm just curious...How do we know who started the fight...Is there eye witness testimony? I'm not being sarcasitc i want to know. Or is it that Zimmerman's recounting of the event?

Everyone is saying he was out at 2 AM. I'm almost positive the trial stated the 911 calls reporting the incident occured at 7 PM. A completely rational time for someone to be walking around.

I don't know. If it was me, and someone came to me and grabbed me, and I thought they were armed and I was not. I would do whatever I could to make sure I could get away and that person wouldn't follow me, including bashing his head into the sidewalk.

Is that what the kid was thinking? I don't know. I don't think anyone does except for Zimmerman, who has no reason to tell the truth unless it helps him, and every reason to lie if it doesn't. Zimmerman was the only one who disregarded orders given to him by authorities.

And on the drugdealer thing. Is that a fact? The only thing I've seen is the picture of him smoking weed. That doesn't make him a dealer does it? I've never done it myself, but it's a common practice of people of all races and idiot teenagers who do dumb stuff, which I'm sure Martin was one like most of us were. Same with getting in fights. Most have been in one at one point or the other.

Rambling aside, too many comments based on knee jerk reactions and prejudice. Let the facts come out. If I were Zimmerman i would be concerned that with an all female jury they could play the "What is this was your baby boy" angle.

No one grabbed him, listen to the 911 tapes, they are public record. Also, smoking doesn't make him a dealer, all of the people on his social media saying they need to buy some made him a dealer.
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options
    Wait.. Did I miss something? Are you saying Martin was armed at the time of the altercation? :)
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Well I hope he gets 2nd degree murder. Zimmerman should get the chair or the needle for what he's done. That poor family lost their son and deserves justice.

1) Florida retired 'Old Sparky' years ago. We use Lethal Injection now.

2) Murder 2 gets you 25 to Life, not the Death Penalty.

3) Armchair Lawyers are awesome.

4) Judging a man's fate with emotion is the way to go!

5) Murder 2 will never stick.

1) Good for you Floridians I guess?
    2) I know. I simply stated what I thought he deserves for his crime.
    3) This is what we are all doing right now.
    4) I'm judging him with objectivity.
    5) I hope you are wrong. It's the least he deserves for murdering a boy.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I have a 18 year old son. If someone was following him and approached him I would expect him to defend himself. I also know if it was my son he shot there would be no safe place on the planet for him. I wouldn't need the courts to solve this issue. It is a simple blood feud. Blood for blood.

YES Mercutio! Loose the hounds and sharpen thy blades for TONIGHT THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

Please join us in the 21st Century...

I don't know about anyone else but I feel I have a obligation to protect and defend those that I love and am responsible for safety and defense. Maybe it is my Marine Corps and Army Ranger training (in the 21st Century by the way) but the murder of my son is just as valid a reason to go to war as an attack on New York is to star a 10 year war that has cost thousands of lives.

Key word there is Murder. No one was murdered in this case.
  • educ8tedsista
    Options
    All of your posts on this topic reek of prejudice and latent racism. I'm white btw.
    Latent?...

you know exactly what he meant please let's be respectful , don't take any of these comments personal we are all adults!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Third, this was a 6', 17 year old young man. Martin was hardly a 'child'. He was the one who came at Zimmerman first. He was beating the crap out of Zimmerman, the police photos and medical documents prove that.

Fourth, sorry but it was self-defense.

Size isn't the issue. Age is. Seventeen is a child. How mature were you at that age? I am the mother of an 18-year-old college student. I know her friends. They are still children.

As for self-defense/stand your ground, considering that Zimmerman was following Trayvon, couldn't the prosecution make a case that TRAYVON was standing his ground? Zimmerman is responsible by his actions for what happened. Now someone is dead. Had he at the very least remained in his vehicle, this would not have happened.

No because you can't stand your ground against someone walking behind you. Someone walking isn't a threat to your life. Beating your head into the ground is. You should really read up on laws.
    He wasn't just "walking behind" Martin. He followed him first in a vehicle and then on foot.

That's called stalking. Clearly Martin felt threatened.

Should have ran and not attacked. Then he would be alive. Not illegal to follow someone.

wtf? reek of racism, where in the text above does anyone mention race? Don't comment if you are too stupid to read.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Wait.. Did I miss something? Are you saying Martin was armed at the time of the altercation? :)

His defense likes to argue that the kid was armed with the pavement. Given that Zimmerman has no real head wounds except for some light scratches and the natural lumpy shape of his bald head, this is at best a stretch. More like a lie.
  • onetwopotato
    onetwopotato Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think the prosecution made a mistake charging him with Second Degree murder. If he's found not guilty it will be because he was overcharged and they couldn't prove he's guilty of that charge.

I don't think he deserves to walk, though.

agreed. 2nd degree is exteme, but a kid was shot to death some charge should be held.
    Why?

Well I hope he gets 2nd degree murder. Zimmerman should get the chair or the needle for what he's done. That poor family lost their son and deserves justice.
    Okay. That'll hold up in court.

I wasn't talking about the court, I was talking about my hope. As for the legal aspects, I agree Zimmerman could walk. I would find that very disappointing, cause I think he's guilty. But that's separate obviously from how the trial or FL legal system may resolve this.
    How do you know he is guilty? You're just emotionally attached or trolling. I'm done replying to you though. Watch the trial, learn the facts, then come back.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I think the prosecution made a mistake charging him with Second Degree murder. If he's found not guilty it will be because he was overcharged and they couldn't prove he's guilty of that charge.

I don't think he deserves to walk, though.

agreed. 2nd degree is exteme, but a kid was shot to death some charge should be held.
    Why?

Yea, lets give people the chair for defending themself. 'murica
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Latent?...

Giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe latent is not the right word.

Underlying?
  • moosegt35
    Options
    His blood... somehow defied gravity.. :huh:

Nope. Try watching the trial
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    :sick:
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61