NO MCDONALDS

Options

Replies

• chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the saving the message boards NEO! You've done the MFPers a great service!

You know why people love Fast Food? because it is delicious! thast why. You know why that is? because it's packed full of sugar and sodium! RESEARCH the effects of those things from a different perspective otehr than IIFYM and you might learn how addictive those 2 substances can be.
    you wanted science, here's science that says fast food is a poor choice for health and you are ignoring it or attempting to refute it.

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(13)00161-X/abstract

Your promoting of eating fast food 3x a week or more is laughable! Is that what you call responsible eating? The only one I've seen with an unhealthy view here is you! But by all means, keep using peer pressure to push everyone back into fast food.
    What you are doing is the equivalent of telling an alcoholic it's still ok to drink in moderation. Good job dude.

Fast food is not a healthy choice. Some iceberg lettuce on a sugar laden bun with a couple tomatos and pickles is not healthy regardless of if it fits your macros or the calorie content. The micros your body needs to function optimally are not there. That's a fact supported by science.
    Maybe you should quit pushing

Ur kinda doin the same thing, you know...this thing you call "pushing"
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    LOL, thanks for your opinion Pratt, I love beer!
    if you aren't aware, commercially raised beef is fed grain in order to fatten them up. Cows are not able to digest grains well, hence why it fattens them up. Cows are grazers, they eat grass, their stomachs are designed by nature to do this. When you feed them grain, it causes them to get sick, hence why they are administered antibiotics, which in turn can be passed to the people who consume the meat.

You don't know how digestion works if you think poorly digested food is fattening.

Also you don't know what antibiotics do.

Getting off topic though. You admit it's delicious and think the answer is abstinence. That's funny.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Pratt - when I get attacked by someone on a personal level, I think it's fair to take it personally.

You are not getting attacked on a personal level. your ideas are, but not you. I see you are kinda new here. You will find these kinds of debates often, Jump in, argue what you believe but be prepared because alot of us have differing opinions. You cant have thin skin here. Good luck!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    As delicious as the following list sounds, i'll stick to making my own food rather than this garbage. Make no mistake, just because you can lose weight eating it, doesn't mean its "healthy".

CANADIAN STYLE BACON:
    Ingredients: Pork, Water, Sugar, Salt, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Sodium Diacetate And Sodium Nitrite (Preservatives)

EGG:
    Ingredients: USDA Grade A Eggs.
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin,
    Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color)

ENGLISH MUFFIN WITH 8 g WHOLE GRAIN:
    Ingredients: Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Whole Wheat
    Flour, Yeast, Maltodextrin, Cornmeal, Contains 2% Or Less: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate
    (Preservative), Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Dough Conditioners (DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono- and Tricalcium Phosphate, Enzymes), Calcium
    Citrate, Citric Acid, Wheat Starch, Torula Yeast, Caramel Color, Sorbitan Monostearate.

PASTEURIZED PROCESS AMERICAN CHEESE:
    Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic
    Acid, Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).

LIQUID MARGARINE:
    Ingredients: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono and
    Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).

:drinker:
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So, in the Summer I workout in the morning at the Gym 3 days a week (run outside the other 2), and then in the Winter, I go all 5 days...

Sounds like an awesome thing. Here's the catch:

There's a McDonalds located in the most convenient spot directly between the Gym and my Work...it's even on the right side of the road for easy access. It kills me! I'm usually pretty hungry after working out, and if that's not enough to tempt me, their coffee definitely is!!

Needless to say, it's a huge accomplishment for me every time I manage to NOT stop there!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've been boycotting Mickey D for 12 years. I got sick and tired of the sloppy service. One day I ordered a double, mustard only, they gave me a double with mustard and thast horrid plastic orange cheese, I said no, I ordered mustard only, sent it back, they gave me one without the cheese but with tomato and lettuce, I said, basically, what part of mustard only do you morons not understand? One bun, two patties, a little mustard, nothing else. Took them three tries to get it right... and then it was pretty mediocre. .Also, I once wanted a burger while the breakfast menu was still on--for 20 minutes--they told me I could only order from the breakfast menu, and yes, they did have burgers in the building, but I couldn't order one for 20 minutes. I walked out. I haven't been back to that chain since.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Good for you for losing the weight Jonny, but still doesn't mean fast food is "healthy". I wonder how much better your numbers would be if you had chosen better foods than this. There's not a single argument you can make that can definitively prove that eating this list of chemicals is on par with whole foods prepared by one's self.
    None.
    You will never convince me that processed food is as "healthy" or more "healthy" than a whole food.
    I put quotes around healthy because health is broad measure, not one that can be defined by a simple lipid profile, cholesterol test, etc... it's a collection of things.
    Oh, and eating cholesterol doesn't raise your blood cholesterol.

:flowerforyou:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You know why people love Fast Food? because it is delicious! thast why.

Indeed. That's why I think it's far more helpful to teach people how to responsibly fit this delicious food into their lives than it is to tell them to just never eat this delicious food again.

If fast food is what you consider delicious, you have my sympathy.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Indeed. That's why I think it's far more helpful to teach people how to responsibly fit this delicious food into their lives than it is to tell them to just never eat this delicious food again.

There is no need to be rude and insult people for the things they like. Come on now.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As delicious as the following list sounds, i'll stick to making my own food rather than this garbage. Make no mistake, just because you can lose weight eating it, doesn't mean its "healthy".

CANADIAN STYLE BACON:
    Ingredients: Pork, Water, Sugar, Salt, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Sodium Diacetate And Sodium Nitrite (Preservatives)

EGG:
    Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin,
    Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color)

Ingredients: Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Whole Wheat
    Flour, Yeast, Maltodextrin, Cornmeal, Contains 2% Or Less: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Gluten, Soybean Oil, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate
    (Preservative), Natural Flavor (Plant Source), Dough Conditioners (DATEM, Ascorbic Acid, Azodicarbonamide, Mono- and Tricalcium Phosphate, Enzymes), Calcium
    Citrate, Citric Acid, Wheat Starch, Torula Yeast, Caramel Color, Sorbitan Monostearate.

Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic
    Acid, Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).

LIQUID MARGARINE:
    Ingredients: Liquid Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed and Soybean Oils, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Mono and
    Diglycerides, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Artificial Flavor, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color).

Feel like throwing up again. Blech!

Off to get my csf box now. :-p

Oh, and I'll join you later for the drink glassslippers! A nice old glass of red wine.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    http://theweek.com/article/index/223915/mcdonalds-burgers-now-without-pink-slime

That's what was in those burgers besides meat.

While they may have changed in the past year....that is plenty of burgers we all consumed with the pink slime.

I do agree with you jonny that learning not to demonize food as to not sabotage your own weight loss is critical. I still eat Mcdonald's, just very, very rarely.

I do not agree however that the food is even close to the quality we should be eating or should have access to. It is basically dog food grade meat, cheese, etc. And we do have access to better quality food whether we chose to indulge in it or not. I prefer the taste and consistency of grass-fed beef and I feel better about its effects on the environment. Attack that all you want, I won't feel stupid or change my opinion.

It is delicious, but it is crap.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

CANADIAN STYLE BACON:

EGG:

LIQUID MARGARINE:

Oh, and I'll join you later for the drink glassslippers! A nice old glass of red wine.

Wine is poison!!! How can you ingest that foul, disgusting stuff. It is certainly not a healthy choice. It is loaded with calories and alcohol has been proven to dehydrate. The are far healthier choices for drink than wine.

see what i did there?
  • Mslmesq
    Options

There is no need to be rude and insult people for the things they like. Come on now.

Johnny, enuf already. You have insulted people more than anyone I've seen in this thread, myself included. What that person wrote wasn't insulting. Apparently all is game when you say it to someone else, but super sensitive when someone says something actually benign back to you. Dude, stop posting on here constantly, have a beer yourself and relax. Seriously! If you want to eat fast food, be my guest! But stop shoving it down people's throats. Not everyone wants to, and that is ok too. And you were insulting to the op. The hijacking of HER thread and lack of validation and support of a goal SHE had that was important to HER, is insulting. So next time if you want to tout McD's, start your own thread. As for me, at this point I'm glad you eat it. Hope you enjoy it 24/7 as it suits you just fine.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

CANADIAN STYLE BACON:

EGG:

LIQUID MARGARINE:

Wine is poison!!! How can you ingest that foul, disgusting stuff. It is certainly not a healthy choice. It is loaded with calories and alcohol has been proven to dehydrate. The are far healthier choices for drink than wine.

see what i did there?

You're entitled to your opinion and your tastes. I wouldn't try to shove mine on you, or be mad at you for not having the same as me. I only ask for the same courtesy. Is it something you are capable of? Lets see...I actually don't like the taste of McDonald's. Maybe if I did I would crave it, but I don't. It tastes gross to me. I actually do like the taste of red wine, so I drink it. And I enjoy it when I do.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    But I'm a very nice McDonald and I like it when people stop by for breakfast.

Is tomorrow ok? Maybe 8:00 or so? What are we having? You look like a nice person to have breakfast with :tongue:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Johnny, enuf already. You have insulted people more than anyone I've seen in this thread, myself included. What that person wrote wasn't insulting. Apparently all is game when you say it to someone else, but super sensitive when someone says something actually benign back to you. Dude, stop posting on here constantly, have a beer yourself and relax. Seriously! If you want to eat fast food, be my guest! But stop shoving it down people's throats. Not everyone wants to, and that is ok too. And you were insulting to the op. The hijacking of HER thread and lack of validation and support of a goal SHE had that was important to HER, is insulting. So next time if you want to tout McD's, start your own thread. As for me, at this point I'm glad you eat it. Hope you enjoy it 24/7 as it suits you just fine.

Not sure we're reading the same thread. I have insulted no one. I didn't make the beer comment.

And I certainly haven't even implied that anyone who doesn't want to should in fact eat fast food. The entire argument hrtr is that it's OK to ear it if you want to.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Jonnythan, how do you like the Wendy's pretzel burger? I'm thinking about getting one after my trail race on Sunday.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Not sure we're reading the same thread. I have insulted no one. I didn't make the beer comment.

And I certainly haven't even implied that anyone who doesn't want to should in fact eat fast food. The entire argument hrtr is that it's OK to ear it if you want to.

Don't worry buddy, I'm not even sure we are breathing the same air, much less reading the same thread. You seem to be very unaware as to how you are coming across to certain people and the reasons why.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Jonnythan, how do you like the Wendy's pretzel burger? I'm thinking about getting one after my trail race on Sunday.

I've never cared much for Wendy's beef but this is a good burger. I'd love to put some Five Guys patties on this bun. It's exquisite.
  • Begaye1
    Begaye1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started leaving my debit card at home just so I won't stop and grab whatever to eat..