Finally found something that works

Options
Kobz27
Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
After 4 years of yo-yo'ing I've found the key. I've been into reading and practicing fitness and nutrition for the past 15 years, and I thought I knew what eating healthy meant, and I've been forced to rethink all the conventional mis-information I had been given.

NSNG - NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS

Read The Obesity code, or read the primal blueprint. There is a joe rogan podcast #752 that has the author of the primal blueprint where he discusses the amazing benefits of this diet and way of life.

My story. I'm 30, but growing up I was in athletics and spent a lot of time at gyms. I was always skinny, and had to work hard putting weight on. But then I was 26 and found myself waking up at 240lbs (I'm only 5'8"). I thought to myself, "I need to work out." So I started going to the gym, started "eating better" using the information about nutrition that everyone typically accepts as fact. Low fat foods, whole grains, fruits and veggies. I dropped 10lbs after a couple of months and then started getting into cycling. I rode hundreds of miles that summer and through the winter and continued on that diet. I got down to 210, but it was a lot of miles of riding. Of course life got in the way and I didn't have time to ride as much anymore. For the next couple of years it was up and down and up and down with the weight slowly, never really coming close to my body's ideal weight (175-185).

I'm on the road a lot. So I listen to podcasts. I heard this new concept of NSNG and it kind of hit me right square in the head. So I started it 61 days ago. I'm down 24 lbs. it's the fastest weight loss I've ever experienced, even beating the month I rode 800 + miles on the bike by a lot.
-I have more energy, and it's more level throughout the day
- I don't have cravings for sweets or grains
- I often am sated to the point where I will miss a meal
- I don't have to count calories

I am seeing many success stories with people who are changing to this and it's awesome. It's even starting to catch on in some areas of the professional sports world.

Replies

• Kobz27
    Options
    Cutting down sugar is consistent in every single diet that I can think of.
    Taking away my brown rice and barley will take an act of god.

That's how I felt it was going to be for bread for me. I manage 6 pizza restaurants so I am around pizza and bread everyday, but I don't really get any cravings for it unless I am just hungry in general.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Flour is something I stay far, far away from. I see no health benefit from it. Just empty calories.
    Barley gives me a lot of fiber and fills me up with few calories. So it's still in. I think it's 25% of fiber per serving. Something for the colon to behold.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    That's great! Do you listen to Vinnie Tortorich's podcast?

I've been off of sugar and grains for years and never plan on going back. I have never felt restricted and have endless energy. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's but was totally non-symptomatic even though my levels were way off. My endocrinologist said that she believes the reason I showed no signs was because of my diet and exercise. For me, all the benefits I get from eating this way surely outweigh the 3 minutes of possible enjoyment in having 4 bites of a piece of cake!
  • Kobz27
    Options
    Flour is something I stay far, far away from. I see no health benefit from it. Just empty calories.
    Barley gives me a lot of fiber and fills me up with few calories. So it's still in. I think it's 25% of fiber per serving. Something for the colon to behold.

I use flax and chia seeds for that ;-)
  • Kobz27
    Options
    There Also a ton of omega 3's in chia seeds. Good for healthy brain function.
  • Kobz27
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    That's great! Do you listen to Vinnie Tortorich's podcast?

I've been off of sugar and grains for years and never plan on going back. I have never felt restricted and have endless energy. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's but was totally non-symptomatic even though my levels were way off. My endocrinologist said that she believes the reason I showed no signs was because of my diet and exercise. For me, all the benefits I get from eating this way surely outweigh the 3 minutes of possible enjoyment in having 4 bites of a piece of cake!

That's exactly where I heard about this in the first place. I added vinnietortorich dot com to the Main post but they must have filtered that out now that I am looking at the original post again. Must have flagged that kind of stuff as spam.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    This almost sounds like a Keto type diet.
    I like cutting sugar and white flour, but like my beans, farro, spelt, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, lentils, way too much.
    I don't think barley causes an inflammatory response.
  • Kobz27
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Links to research showing that the consumption of sugars and grains within the confines of a correctly balanced calorific, macro, and micronutritional dietary intake creates an inflammatory response in the body, making the body more suseptable to sickness, diseases, and ailments, please.

Links to research showing "DNA switches" and how diet can influence DNA, influence a human being on a genetic level, or have a bearing on the human genome, please.

It's in the book the primal blueprint. Go read it