July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Today is a cross training day with my trainer so did Tabatas (sp?). It was my first time doing speed work on a treadmill and was a little scary, only 20 seconds running/10 seconds walking repeated 8 times among other things like rowing machine and weight work. Didn't trust myself to go faster then 6.5 but I think I maybe could have gone faster ( did I mention I am super slow?)

7/1 - 0 mi - 0 mi
    7/2 - 0 mi - 0 mi
    7/3 - 5 mi - 5 mi
    7/4. - 0 mi - 5 mi
    7/5. - 0 mi - 5 mi
    7/6 - 6.2 mi - 11.2 mi
    7/7 - cross training - 11.2 Mi

Races :
    6/11 Run and Ride 5K Cedar Point - Done
    7/10 Debbie Hudacko 5 mile ? Nope. Not gonna do it.
    10/8 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #1
    11/5 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #2
    12/3 Outdoor Trail Series 5 mile #3
    12/11 Santa Hustle Half Marathon Cedar Point[/quote]

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom The brand is Fitchic, at fitchicheadbands.com. made right here in Oklahoma. The story was touching how it came about.

I'm letting my hair grow a bit so I don't look like a total dufus in them, not that I care really. I still wear them for non-race runs when I get agitated that no running cap fits me unless I tie the back of it up. :smiley:

My son wants to go to the gym agin today for weight training. I went last time, I'm just not feeling it today. I'd much rather swim laps or bike. My kids are like little gaurd dogs asking frequently if I'm suppose to be doing/not doing whatever they catch me doing/not doing. Little snitches. I don't wanna do weights, I wanna do cardio.... pthht.
  • rimir74
    rimir74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Trained for and completed a Marathon in 2006. But not a hard goal setting kinda guy right now. Now, If I can get up early enough, I go running. Good challenge for me.

I'm in for 72km for the month.
    Total at 19.9 km right now.

7/2 - 4.2 km
    7/5 - 5 km
    7/6 - 5.7 km
    7/7- 5 km
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/7: 4.5 Miles
    3/7: 8.1 Miles
    5/7: 6.5 Miles
    7/7: 6.3 Miles

exercise.png
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread!!! I'm in with 80 kms for July!

I'm at 13.08 kms so far!

exercise.png

Here's the breakdown so far:

2/7: 5.44 km
    4/7: 3.00 km
    6/7: 1.00 km (was sick on 5/7 and still recovering)
    7/7: 3.64 km
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 thanks!
    @greenolivetree there is a follow up video of him on the Ellen DeGeneres show. The mom said he just parrots his dad. Skip was having a texting fight with her friend (oh to be in high school) and she finally sent her a text that said "I'm done arguing with you Linda" LOL Of course they were friends again the next day.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom My hubby has watched that Linda video so many times! I wonder what that kid is up to now....still arguing? LOL As far Skip, I'd never nervous too :-p

@WhatMeRunning I'm not quite 35 yet but interesting info. I've already given consideration into how I want to stay active but I'm sure by the time I'm 50 there will be a whole bunch of new information :-D

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Welcome to the group!

@Tweaking_Time I had to look up your greenery..... I think it's ground ivy. Pretty IMO but apparently people dislike it taking over their lawns.

Thanks!
  • CarmenChaban
    CarmenChaban Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    07/01 - 3 miles
    07/02 - Hiking w/ family
    07/03 - 6 miles
    07/04 - 1 mile
    07/06 - 5 miles
    07/07 - 3 miles

exercise.png

Had an amazing run after work yesterday. I normally use the treadmill on Wednesdays out of convenience, but the beautiful weather was calling my name. 3 treadmill miles today and looking forward to my first long run since the marathon this Saturday. Aiming for 12 miles but will let my body dictate how far I end up going.

I'm feeling a little lost not using a plan since that's all I've ever done, but it's also freeing in a way to let my body and feel play more of a role in how many miles I run.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    The 3rd day of running in the FL heat was a little better. Cut it short because I am planning on biking this evening.

@ohhim -My daughter ran the same time as me this morning and when we compared temps both of our apps said it was 81 in NYC and 81 in Orlando. However, I had a much higher humidity.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @greenolivetree OMG too cute!! Next time DH argues with me I'm calling him Linda!

He probably won't mind a pow pow on the butt.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom @greenolivetree OMG too cute!! Next time DH argues with me I'm calling him Linda!

He probably won't mind a pow pow on the butt.

ha ha!!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of posts I had to get caught up on. Quads and calf feel better today. Going to ice all the above then little man is napping. Recovery is going well for only being 3 days out from the HM. Things are looking good for a recovery run on Sat and getting back into things next week.

@WhatMeRunning what VO2 Mac workouts were suggested? I'm about 17 years from turning 50, but always looking to see what workouts are out there.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    What VO2 Mac workouts were suggested? I'm about 17 years from turning 50, but always looking to see what workouts are out there.
    I haven't reached those yet in this book, but I have picked up thus far that anything above your LT up to your VO2Max is the target. It would have to be intervals due to the difficulty of maintaining that effort for very long.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @michable You did amazing - and even below your 5 hour goal, wow! The last 10km sound really tough mentally. During the half I ran in May the last 3km where like that (so going 1.5km past the finish area before turning back), and I found it really tough. 10kms like this at the end of a full marathon must be even worse! Glad to know you enjoyed it so much you are already setting goals for the next marathon :-)

@lps1dragonfly and @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Welcome, and @juliet3455 welcome back!

@Tweaking_Time Thanks for sneaking in the spoiler with the pointer to the July Cycling Challenge! Reminds me that I missed that completely in June, and haven't signed up this month yet either. Not that I do any impressive distances on the bike anyway, but a little exta motivation can't hurt...

@5512bf That's some dedication!! I can't even imagine running all those laps. I already start to get bored when a 10k race consists of running the same 5km loop twice ;-p

@Somebody_Loved I suppose if you really like training plans, you could just follow one and then keep repeating the last 4-week-block over and over again to stay at that level. Or just follow a few general rules of thumb like "don't increase your milage my more than 10percent per week" and "long run shouldn't be more than 25-33% of your weekly milage".

@ceciliaslater Wohoo! That's so great that you are allowed to exercise again :-D

@WhatMeRunning I never read anything from Joe Friel , or about specific training for older runners. But the suggested workout with the short runs at vVO2max you described (I think - I can't find it any more, forgot on which page I just read it...) reminded me a lot about Billat's 30-30 (english description see e.g. here ). Never tried that myself, but at a local event I chatted to someone who swears by it.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Question: What do you do to cross-train with your running? I'm looking for ideas to add to my book of tips as I like variety and would love to pick your running brains. :smiley:
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @lps1dragonfly and TattooedDolphinGirl78 Welcome, and @juliet3455 welcome back!

Thanks!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Still week one of my training plan, and I'm considering swapping day 4 and day 5 (after already switching day 1 and day 2...). Today's supposed to be a short run, tomorrow a rest day. But I don't have time to run now, if I want to have time to take the bike to the pub for watching the soccer semifinals. There would be time for a run if I took the car, but I have a feeling meeting some guys to watch a soccer game at the pub might involve a glass of beer or two o:)

Plus, I did some strength training on Tuesday, for the first time in a month. Now I'm still sore from all those evil lunges and squats! Last night I was struggling the entire run - When I got home, I actually stopped running the moment I reached the door, despite the fact that my watch showed 10.96km. The fact that an exta 0.04km seemed like too much effort should speak volumes about how heavy my legs were feeling ^^

exercise.png