July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2016
    @greenolivetree & @WhatMeRunning thanks for your thoughts & suggestions. I think I probably just have to be more patient with the sloooow progress my body requires now. I have all the muscle memory of running high school track & maybe subconsciously I think I should be able to run like I'm 16. Yeah. I am so not 16 anymore :smile:

I guess I see your husband's point about the shoes :wink:
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    edited July 2016

7/1 - 4.81 miles
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @Brans34 Quoted From page 1 - information on displaying your ticker
    You are missing the [ img ] at the front and [ /img ] at the back.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Happy July (almost).

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
    Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker. Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
    Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
    Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
    2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
    3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
    4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

[ img ] http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wGYdRYG/exercise.png [ /img ]

With the spaces removed it should be displayed like this

exercise.png
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    did 6.2 miles today.

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Thanks everyone! I shared a bit of your thoughts with him. He was impressed with your responses. Maybe a bit impressed with himself :smiley:

Hehe.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited July 2016
    Switched over to km this month so setting my goal above what I achieved in June (32 miles) to 60 km. Excited to do this challenge again this month, loved seeing all the race photos and such from some of you last month!

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm in for 75 miles this month. I think 100 is a real possibility, but my schedule and the heat may not allow for it and I don't want to be disappointed. I've had to give up my gym membership, so if I must treadmill it will be on the worthless basement behemoth that won't tell me how "far" I've gone or how fast I did it (I go by time and perceived exertion).

I also need to set as a goal at least two days a week of strength training with a video, since my trainer is also no longer a part of my life. Sigh. College is expensive, people.

ETA: I shall donate all my extra miles to @Elise4270 and *try* to not eat so much candy. But I don't think I can give it up entirely, even if I'm trying to also eat at a deficit. I really, really need to track. But I also think I'm a little embarrassed by the sometimes not-so-healthy choices I make. I guess a tracked bad diet in a private diary is better than not tracking and staying 20 lbs overweight. :(

exercise.png

• Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @Brans34 Quoted From page 1 - information on displaying your ticker
    You are missing the [ img ] at the front and [ /img ] at the back.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Happy July (almost).

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
    Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker. Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
    Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
    Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
    2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
    3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
    4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

[ img ] http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wGYdRYG/exercise.png [ /img ]

With the spaces removed it should be displayed like this

exercise.png

Thanks. I just did select all and then copied and pasted. I don't know why it didn't do it right.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    So here's a question: how do you know when to push through aches & pains vs. stopping to prevent an injury? I always start my runs with achy knees. I'm super paranoid about reinjuring them & being sidelined forever. I had planned to run today, but my legs & knees are achy & so I was thinking to do the bike instead. My knees seem to complain less if I don't run two days in a row. But it seems like I'll never improve if I don't push myself more. I wonder if I'm being smart by being conservative, or if I'm being too cautious & paranoid. Any thoughts?

Hi @cljoe7 My thoughts are that it's not wise to push yourself too hard.

How long have you been running? It's not recommended for beginners (running less than a couple of years) to run every day.

Couch to 5K (for newbie runners) has you running 3 times a week, with at least a day in between runs.

I finished C25K in December, and now run about 4 times a week.

Of course, if you're a seasoned runner, ignore that.

Being "super paranoid" about your knees might mean your brain is thinking the pain is worse than it really is. My brain makes me think lots of odd things, and needs to be kept in check!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2016
    2 July – 5 km parkrun alongside my niece

July Goal: 150 km (93 miles)

Today was such a nice day! My niece, aged 16, is a very, very fit swimmer, but hadn't run 5 km before.

We ran nearly all of it together at her "easy" pace, which was close to my PB pace, and then she had energy for a massive burst of speed in the last 500 metres. So awesome!

My time was 00:28:09
    Hers was 00:27:46
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Short run this morning to try out my new shoes. They're crap. Or just not right for me. Ouch! :tired_face:

exercise.png
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    July
    2Jul - 8km

Total 8.35km

Intentionally slow run in the light rain. Felt good. Good luck for July everyone!

exercise.png
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    1/7: 4.5 Miles

exercise.png
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited July 2016
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    So here's a question: how do you know when to push through aches & pains vs. stopping to prevent an injury? I always start my runs with achy knees. I'm super paranoid about reinjuring them & being sidelined forever. I had planned to run today, but my legs & knees are achy & so I was thinking to do the bike instead. My knees seem to complain less if I don't run two days in a row. But it seems like I'll never improve if I don't push myself more. I wonder if I'm being smart by being conservative, or if I'm being too cautious & paranoid. Any thoughts?

I don't think that running more often works for everyone, it certainly hasn't for me. I guess, compared to others, my progress is slow but I would rather that than have to stop running completely. I used to run a lot but ended up with 2 stress fractures so now I'm much more careful and use cross-training to support my training. Do you do any cross-training at all? I can't run more than 4-days a week without ending up injured, so I swim once a week and use the stationary bike once a week. It's helped to improve my cardio fitness and muscle strength but is much lower-impact, so might be a solution for you too? I don't intend on even trying to run more than 4 days a week for another few more months, and it's been 6 months since I finally shook off the injures. I am still making progress, I'm the fastest I've ever been, so that works for me. I think you need to find what works for you :)
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have a question. I don't want to steer my son wrong. Alex is 21, very small frame ~140lbs, 5'9"ish, no athletic background, but ideal runner! He is in week 2 of his training program, (Its a 5k in 30 days). He is up to 2 miles solid already, 10-12MPW, pace is 8-9min/mile in the heat :astonished: . Sheesh, took me month's-years to do 2 miles straight and break that 10 MPW barrier, and get sub 9.

I think he should be able to do the Jenks half with us in early November. Does anyone think that could be a stretch?

I ran my first half marathon in about the same amount of time, going from 0-13 in about 4 months with absolutely no level of prior fitness from having done nothing resembling exercise for well over 3 years. It wasn't pretty, but I did it, and it was enough to catch the running bug!