How can I motivate my boyfriend to workout with me?

Options
124»

Replies

• Taylorgo90
    Taylorgo90 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    <3 different activities what is interesting about other person
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    When my DH and I were first dating, we would go to the gym together. It was fun at the time, but sort of awkward. We ran at different paces so he would get tired of going slow for me and then start lapping me on the track which would make me annoyed. And we couldn't really talk while working out anyway.

Now we have two little kids so can't go out at the same time anyway. I work out early morning while they all are still sleeping, and he goes during his lunch break from work. Weekends we alternate taking the kids while the other works out.

But the interesting and awesome thing that happens is when one of us gets motivated and is doing really well, the other will work out more too! If he mentions that he went to the gym at work one day, I'm extra motivated to not skip my workout the next morning.

All this to say, OP just keep doing what you're doing. Either he will come around or he won't, but you can't force it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Having separate interests and valuing time alone is important in a relationship. If he's interested in joining you that's one thing, but if you just want him to come with you for the sake of being together for that additional hour, that's not terribly healthy.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    Just tell him how you feel. Tell him you think it would be a good thing to do as a couple and youd really like to try it. A good bf will see how happy it would make you and try it out if he says no he wont try it then hes a butthead

If you do this be prepared for him to tell you to *kitten* off.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Tell him there's a hot guy who is hitting on you, that will motivate him.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Exercising with another person is a cool novelty once in a while. But would be really sub-par as a regular thing. Too much compromising. Exercise is way too person-specific to be a practical shared activity, IMO.
  • Charlene072385
    Charlene072385 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years. He doesn't like to do much but over time I've gotten him to walk to restaurants instead of taking the subway and I can get him to play tennis with me occasionally but for the most part, he doesn't like to be all that active. It's disappointing to me because I see other couples in the park playing ball or running or biking and I'm always doing it alone.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My workouts are slacking and I need to stay on top of them. We been talking about joining planet fitness together so that is something I am going to encourage.