WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I am in my pajama's and gonna sack out soon.. I really honestly don't know how more of this I can take... thank goodness I will be gone up to Faiths for a week.
    Was going to take our grandaughter for pizza and have a sleepover, and Tracy wanted to borrow my bigger crock pot and Dipstick had a fit, swearing and spitting and yelling.. so I walked out and took a walk around the block, I come back in and he said ok lets go.. I said Uh No. I am tired of all the bull$@*%.. so he ruined a night with my granddaughter who I wont see until probably thursday, unless I take crock pot up tomorrow.. and then the wedding is next weekend, one of the Dr's at work asked me to work this thursday,but I also want to spend time with my girls.. so will have to make that work some how and then Sunday will be busy,monday work and weds through following weds I will be at Faith's at night....
    I know you are all ready to come over and beat the cr@p out of Tom... but my solution for right now once the dryer stops is to go to sleep
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    My husband and weeds are a pretty volatile matchup, up to and including flamethrowers, so I'm not sure you would want his advice!

Wow, that sentence takes me back to my growing up on the ranch years. I spent many an hour burning ditch banks to keep them clear of weeds. We didn't want the weeds to suck up all the valuable irrigation water. Plus the ranch had been a hemp farm for rope back in the 30s and we had a lot, I mean a LOT of hemp that still grew randomly, mostly on the ditch-banks seeking water. Um..... back in the 70s hemp was a big no-no as female plants would grow and that caused a problem with the sheriff (go figure). Now that area of Colorado is seeing a spike in land prices because they've discovered marijuana grows wonderfully there. I could'a told them that....

Marcelyn in Houston
    where it is hot hot hot and the stars are bright (okay, maybe not in Houston due to city lights, humidity and elevation but in the song they are always bright)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hugs Heather.

Melanie, I can not imagine living in such a hot spot. I don't blame you for not wanting to take a walk. It would be scary for me to go to the mall. Even in our small city we are now having small peaceful protests. It scares me. All it takes sometimes is one arguement among peaceful protests for it to ignite.

Yes girls. I am very aware that my husband's manliness is affected big time. He walks around the house in his housecoat most days and it isn't tied closed either. I am really wondering what he will be dressed like when the grand kids come. If he tries what he does with just me, I will forbid it.

Today Michelle and I are going to an event at one of our local pet stores. Itis a charity event with meet and greet with little creatures like sugar gliders, baby skunks. wombats, maybe some snakes. Sorry Michele. That is just down our line as fun. I would travel with this menagerie every day if I could. We had sugar gliders for years and I kind of miss them except for them 'barking' at night. But to watch the Mom and Dad raise their young is priceless. They are marsupial and you have no idea your Mommy had been pregnant until you see the little joeys make their way out of her pouch. And then the fun comes in hand training them because if you don't it is unholy hell.

JOyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    treadmill, scissors/skip/jog - 60min26sec, 5.5-9.0sp, 10.04ap, 142ahr, 165mhr, 6mi = 630c
    rowing machine- 10min, 1530meters, 52aw, 115ahr, 142mhr = 137c
    total cal 767
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Joyce ~ I had to Google sugar gliders! How interesting they must be.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie ~ Don't feel bad about your Brighton belts. I have tried to sell two on eBay twice and they don't sell. Don't know why.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

VickiNE, glad you’re are healing nicely.

Cheri, thanks for the hug and back at ya.

Lisa, glad the camper is delivered and working well.

Lillian, I still don’t know which is prettier; you or the baby. You look wonderful!!!

NYKaren, good for you on concentrating to see things through clear glasses. Good for eating well while you have everything going on. Enjoy your day at home with your family. Keep up the good work.

Glo, what a nice looking son. It is terrible with what’s going on lately.

Julie, welcome. If you come here every day and get to know us, you will get lots of support. Some of us think of this group of ladies (our friends) when we want to eat something we shouldn’t. We also report what we have eaten and this makes us think twice before we indulge. That is not to say that we never eat those things but we have the support of this group to resist. Please sign each post with your name and a location is nice as well, general or specific.

Marcelyn, I often hear of people that go on vacation to only go home to rest. That sounds like the case from your trip but I know you had a ball.

Kim, congrats-smiley-emoticon.gif on the job. I’m sure you were the best person for the job so glad they made the right decision.

Joyce, I hope you can find the right pain reliever to help you sleep at night. When I can’t sleep for nights on end it really gets to me. I do rely on my pain relievers when I need them.

NYKaren, crying-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gifat eating a bucket of KFC while driving home in a brides maid dress. That sounds like something I’d do.

Sue, I do my own hair but my best friend just had her hairdresser move out of state and found one that she likes even better and at a lower price. I hope the same for you. ((((Hugs))))

Mary, chauffeuring our DH’s is not the easiest job on earth by a long shot!!

Larisa, you look fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Mary, Shep is too funny with his “little” branches.

Debbie, sending good thought for your DH and his pains.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m so sad over the events in Dallas and all over the place. What has happened to people that they do the things they do? I went to work out today. Upped my number of reps and the number of times I did each exercise. The price of membership is worth the Aqua Massage alone! That thing is the bomb! And Planet Fitness is the nicest and cleanest gym I have ever been to. I’m not bothered that they don’t have exercise classes but so glad I checked them out. I taped the tennis but when watching the Women’s Doubles finals didn’t get all of it. At least I was pleased with the outcome. Since tomorrow the Men’s Finals is all I’m interested in maybe I’ll catch up here. Congrats on your victories and (((((Huggs))))) where needed. Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies.

Had a showing on the house today. Realtor said the house shows very well and the people could tell we took good care and had done some nice upgrades...but...they really are looking for a first floor master suite. Uhm...pretty sure your realtor knew this home had no first floor master! Our realtor is hosting a Broker's Open House on Tuesday so we have to vacate (with the dog) the premises from 11:30am till 1:30pm while that goes on. We really, really want the house to be sold before we leave town. Have to wait and see on that one.

We got a verbal okay on the new rental home in College Station. Mitch and I are still holding our breath until we receive the rental application back and signed by the landlords. Don't want to get burned a second time even though our Texas realtor says this one is definitely a go.

Took another load of goods to the local Goodwill. Hooked up with a local donation center that will come to our home on Tuesday morning to pick up the couch we no longer want, a full mattress set and a 2 piece dresser set. They then donate the goods to families in need such as domestic violence victims living in centers ready to be back on their own. That's a feel good moment for us.

Still have to pack up the remainder of the kitchen but will wait a bit on that as we are not ready to be using paper goods quite yet. Will begin on the upstairs packing up misc. in the bedrooms we use. The moving company we contracted with will be dropping of wardrobe boxes and a mix of other for our use on Tuesday.

I had to start boxing up my crafting supplies today. For the time being I am leaving the boxes (actually plastic tubs with lids) untaped for now. Having access to my yarns and other goods till the last moment is a necessity. Helps me keep my sanity. I always remind Mitch of how much I am saving in therapist fees by having my crafting to calm my mind, spirit and soul!

I've had much less time to read through all that is happening in your lives these days. Know that I am thinking of all of you on a regular basis. t4517.gif Looking forward to mid August or so when I can get back into a regular daily routine again. Sending healing thoughts and prayers and kudos to all in need or deserving.

Cheri
    ending a productive day in Fairlawn, oHIo

P.S. Came close to blows with the hubs today but he just gave me that boyish grin of his and I had to laugh. We compliment each other so well with this journey we are on but geesh can he get on my last nerve!

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :)Cheri, we have moved across town, from town to town, and to a new state together (six moves in all since 1989) and each has been a great opportunity for spiritual growth and an opportunity to put our possessions in better order and get a better perspective on what possessions were really important. I am remembering our many moves as you tell us about your packing and your plans.

:) Our neighborhood has new watering restrictions (watering only between 8 PM and 8 AM and only on alternate days of the week) so I was out watering right after walking the dogs this morning.

:)drkatie, when I packed up my too big clothes to take to the thrift shop I cried :'( because there were many that I loved a lot and knew that I would never be able to replace....congrats on your success at getting rid of your stuff. Your tidy drawers are a beautiful sight.

:)<3Joyce, you are so wonderfully patient with Charlie, not only about the care of the ostomy bag, but also about his anger when driving, his despair about the permanence of his condition, and all his other needs and wants.

:) I got my hair cut today...it has been over two months and my bangs were hanging over my eyes. I started going to Great Clips a few years ago when the cost of a regular salon haircut got to be to much for me. The first woman who cut my hair did a great job, but then she decided to start her own business in her home and hoped that I stay with her, but I liked the hours and the parking and the convenience at Great Clips so I had someone else cut my hair...she was OK but when she didn't remember me the next time I came in, I tried someone else. I liked him but he took a very long leave for hand surgery and I had to try someone else and she turned out to be exceptional and I've been asking for her ever since.

:) Jake and Brandy are continuing to get better

<3 Barbie from cloudy NW Washington

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Cheri, we have moved across town, from town to town, and to a new state together (six moves in all since 1989) and each has been a great opportunity for spiritual growth and an opportunity to put our possessions in better order and get a better perspective on what possessions were really important. I am remembering our many moves as you tell us about your packing and your plans.

:) I got my hair cut today...it has been over two months and my bangs were hanging over my eyes. I started going to Great Clips a few years ago when the cost of a regular salon haircut got to be to much for me. The first woman who cut my hair did a great job, but then she decided to start her own business in her home and hoped that I stay with her, but I liked the hours and the parking and the convenience at Great Clips so I had someone else cut my hair...she was OK but when she didn't remember me the next time I came in, I tried someone else. I liked him but he took a very long leave for hand surgery and I had to try someone else and she turned out to be exceptional and I've been asking for her ever since.

<3 Barbie from cloudy NW Washington

Very well put about putting our belongings in better order! We really are questioning so much of what we pack. Getting rid of, more like passing on, things of our children's, has been easier than I thought it would be. We have our memories to sustain us.

I too use Great Clips. The trick is to find the hair stylist who gives you a great cut and then request them. I'll be going in for my last cut here right before we leave giving me about 5 weeks before needing another one. I've never had a better cut than this stylist gives.. She knows short hair so well. And all cowlicks!

Night all.

Cheri
    listening to fireworks off in the distance in Fairlawn, oHIo

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr Low Impact Cardio Leg Blasts DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Windsor Pilates Accelerated Body Sculpting DVD. This is a new one for me and I have to try it out

Went to the Hallmark store to get some of the ornaments we ordered. Then to the farmer's market. Unfortunately, the guy with the real good corn on the cob left around 9. Guess he didn't have a lot to sell. I was going to get 3 more dozen. But they say that he should be back next week so I got this one gal's number and I'll call her to ask her to get some for me before he runs out. Then home and worked on some more of the weeds. Did I happen to mention how much I HATE sticker bushes? Then came inside and made the key lime cake to give to the gal whose husband passed away in June. Either she'll be at the Newcomer general meeting or the president (who is her neighbor) will take it to her. I'm just going to give her half of the cake since I figure she can only eat so much cake.

Debbie TX - Prayers for your hubby

Joyce - I'm so sorry Charlie is so down-in-the-dumps about his situation. You're wonderful!

Lisa - ANY advice would be welcome. I HATE (did I mention that?) thorn bushes. HATE, HATE, HATE them. And they are on a dirt pile and I don't know how to get them off. I probably can't stand on the pile and use the hedge trimmers, then pull the vines out, I need at least a sort-of flat surface to do that. Flame thrower....interesting idea. How I miss hanging the laundry out on a line. It always smelled so good

Vince FINALLY put Bryan's bike up on Craigslist. Let's hope it sells

Heather - hope you get up real fast

Lenora - I would rather have Vince drive, too, than him telling me what I'm not doing right. The biggest problem is that he wants to take his Outlook on long drives and I find that to be the most uncomfortable vehicle. when I'm outside working on those weeds, and I usually only work for about 2 hours, I usually have at least 24oz of water. I always take a water bottle outside with me

Over50 - come here often! Welcome

janetr - yea for you not snacking. I try so hard not to snack at night, and if I do I try to have either my tofu/cocoa mixture or some applesauce. tonight I was hot so I had a pop (Greek yogurt and OJ concentrate)

Becca - I don't think you're asking too much of your sister

Katie - just think....now you have room for new clothes. Shopping trip I see in your future. Love your drawers

Cheri - when we were looking for a house, we told our realtor that if the entire living area wasn't on one floor, don't even bother showing us the house. When dh goes for a haircut, he takes pics of what he wants his hair to look like. The hairdresser says it really helps her

Margaret - you pic of the water lilly took me back to my childhood. We used to go to this lake that had water lillies in it.

Well, ladies, no one is interested in the DVD+R that I'm giving away?

I have some other DVD's that I really don't use much (I have over 100 DVD's, probably closing in on 200 now). If anyone is interested, PM me. I have Richard simmons sweatin to the oldies #5, Bosu total body blast by Mindy Mylrea, Giam's Strong Knees, Kristin McGee Pilates for Beginners, Yoga for Beginners with Patricia Walden, AM&PM Yoga for Beginners (element), Windsor Pilates bun & Thigh Sculpting, and Baywatch Beach Body Workout.

I don't know what it is, but today when I came in from working on the weeds, I was just exhausted. I had to sit down a bit before I could even have dinner. Came in, took a shower to get the blood off, then made the cake, got dinner ready, then had to sit down.

Michele in NC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Larissa: Love the red dress (pockets rock -- heck with the bulges), the hat and cane. You're gorgeous.

Heather: <3

Kim: Congratulations!!! The garden job sounds like a great fit for you.

My first weekend home in two weeks. I made it out to the pool, cooked pork ribs in the crockpot, CLEANED THE REFRIGERATOR, and watched some tennis and mindless TV. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to a lunch with a couple of gals who used to post here, but have dropped out of this community. However, we still meet up a few times a year to catch up and support each other through our journeys to good health and fitness.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh Margaret, sounds so divine.

Barbie and others who have complimented me on the way I am with Charlie. I just have to think of my parents. What would they do. How would they treat their mate. No, we don't have the huge romance they had. They were truly a match made in Heaven. I don't know if I didn't hold out and wait for that or what. But we were in love when we got married, we both believe in commitment and we have traveled a long way in our marriage. Our daughters who both questioned me as tho why I never left im are both glad I never did. Of course our relationship was pretty rough with Michelle at one time also and I just always kept in my mind the love God has for me and I tried to extend that same forgiving love to her. And now I couldn't ask for a closer daughter. Can't imagine what life without her would be. Wish she had given me grand children but that's her decision and not mine. She is very happy in her single life.

We all went out to this local pet store for this charity activity today. A family has a Meet the animals experience and proceeds after their own expenses go toward rescue care of any kind of animal. But they have a hands on experience for as long as you want with 4 different animals. Today was 2 different kind of monkeys, de-scented baby skunk and baby chinchilla. They were all precious and very used to humans. They also sometimes take snakes, a boxer, sugar gliders and other small animals with them. We had to wait about 60 minutes before it was our time in line but it was worth the wait. One of Michelle's best friends is one of the volunteers and she talked to the family about Michelle and how involved she is with animals and now Michelle has an invite out to their house where they keep all the animals. More than likely Michelle will end up a volunteer. I think it would be a wonderful experience except for the amount of time you are standing on your feet. Just standing in line for the hour I was getting to the state where I knew I would be getting dizzy if I didn't sit down. Luckily that chance came and I had no problems. I did make sure Michelle was aware I was having problems. This is what I am seeing the cardiologist for last week in July.

Peach, thanks for taking the interest in looking up sugar gliders. Yes, they are really neat animals. For those who have never seen them, they look a cross between a rat and a bat. They have wings and can fly. I have never seen one outside so I don't know how far they can 'glide' but here in the house they would go from one end of the room to the curtains, rug on wall,etc. It is very important to hand train them from the moment you see them out of Momma's pouch or they will never get trained. And they can BITE. If they wanted to hide from us they would find a way to get inside one of our chairs. It was a chair that the upholstery had been torn and easy to get into. So we had real heavy gloves to wear to try to get int here and find them. It was easy to find them because once you were close they would start their chattering which is distinctive to a sugar glider. They are simple to take care of. Some people have them on an expensive diet. We fed ours kitten food and apples pieces every night. The babies or joeys sell for about $250 - $300 and the Momma has 2-3 a year. Our daddy glider was real good in taking care of the babies and letting momma rest. When those things get big, they all try to climb back in Mom's pouch and I am sure it gets quite tiring. They are nocturnal and you have to have them in a place where their activities won't bother you since in addition to their chattering they bark. Some people call them pocket pets because you can put them in your pockets during the day and they are content to just sleep and don't mind if you take them out to play. Both my girls got in trouble because they would take them to church with them and they would start barking in church.x68nitcchzme.gif

See how cute this fellow is???? Christina got us into them when she started working at a pet store the summer between high school and college. This pet store wanted each employee to be a specialist on at least one animal in the store. The one who was an expert on sugar gliders had just left and she filled that position. So she would keep one in a fanny pack and bring it out and walk around and people were automatically drawn to it, as long as it was hand trained. So she would sell them. if they were babies, then she would offer her services to hand train them for a nice price for a month. So she got her commision plus a bit extra. Many times she would be called on to take care of them i our home during vacations. We bought a female and then some one called the store and asked for the expert. He had a male and all supplies he wanted to give away. So Sassy the Mom and Pancake the dad made many joeys for us. That's our story and i am sticking to it.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Ok Ladies – Our hearts hurt and that is good to share, but I am feeling very grumpy about the amount of politics being shared, my politics is not always the same as some who share and I manage to keep it to myself, I challenge you to do the same.

Larisa – well I am 5’1” and there are pluses and minuses to that as well…

Karen in Virginia – YES – those white tubes are misters… There are camps all summer for kids with special challenges and all winter for 5th grade science camp and then the weekends are filled with other special things, women’s wellness, a fund raiser, an egg roll at easter, a caregiver’s weekend run away ….

Heather – sending you hugs!!!

Janetr – “I hope we can all get on with using this site for what it is intended, which is support and encouragement of one another in living a healthy life style.´ Thank you for saying this…

Becca – You are being totally reasonable….but there are folks that just can not plan … my way of dealing with them is just never count on them, never plan anything, and if the planets align then they become a surprise!

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom, Cajun food with a friend, got the job!
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kim - "Ok Ladies – Our hearts hurt and that is good to share, but I am feeling very grumpy about the amount of politics being shared, my politics is not always the same as some who share and I manage to keep it to myself, I challenge you to do the same."

Thanks, my heart too breaks for our country and for those who lost loved ones and I pray for their comfort. There are plenty of forums where the participants would love to argue with you all day long regarding politics, etc. if you feel so inclined.

Janetr OKC