WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited July 2016
    Marcylyn, love your story. I have an uncle who had a cattle farm mainly for the milk but he did sell some. They also had corn but it was mainly for feeding the cows.They loved it when us city kids came up for our annual vacation and delighted in getting us to try our hand in milking. Their oldest son had an area on the property where he had a pig farm. I think he planned it out that the pigs got out every time we came up. Of course he then had to throw us in the cow trough to clean us off.

Karen, in Va or at least that's who I think it is, I was one of those small town preacher's kids who also had that reputation from the whole town that we were expected to meet. I remember how shocked they were to see us at the local swimming pool. But I wouldn't have traded it for anything now that I am all grown up.

Becca, what happened to your story. i think you left us in the lurch somewhere.

Well good ol' Satan got me again this morning. You know I have been having back pain and it's worse in the mornings. I always have my muscle relaxant pill by my bedside and when I get up in the morning I take it with me and take it in the bathroom. I then hop in the shower and it all together wakes me up and loosens me up enough to get to Sunday School and church. The last couple of nights with my new medicine regime has really helped me get a good nights sleep. Last night it didn't help. I was awake at 3 AM knowing i had to get up at 8. So at 9 I reset the alarm for 9 so I could atleast get to church but that didn't work either.

Love you all and talk at you later. Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Afternoon ladies~
    Tal and I went to see the secret life of pets.. we had a good time gonna go visit my DB and DSIL
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    DJ~ In the picture of me and the babydoll, I was a small baby. I was a preemie, and also a "blue baby" so I stayed at the hospital for about a month before my mom was brave enough to take me home. I was 4 lbs born, which isn't really small, but in 1962 it was a big deal. I used to have a picture of a nurse that was my "first Mom" but its long since gone.

Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Joyce~ My story just up and WENT. Real life got in the way, I guess. I don't know what to do with my main character? I don't know where this guy will come from... So its just on the back burner for a bit. Sorry to leave you hanging on that...
    Becca
    Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Annr wrote: »
    Joyce~ My story just up and WENT. Real life got in the way, I guess. I don't know what to do with my main character? I don't know where this guy will come from... So its just on the back burner for a bit. Sorry to leave you hanging on that...
    Becca
    Oregon

Hmmmppp!! We make have to talk to your publisher!

Ha!

Janetr okc
  • Annr
    So this morning husband, son and I got to skype with middle son since his carrier is presently in Hawaii! My son looks so great! His hair has grown and now looks really spiffy gelled into a short haircut like in the 1950's, smoothed over. Just put a sweater, some slacks, and some great shoes, and he would be Fred Astaire! So handsome! He had his phone out, by one of the jets, on the flight line, then moved under one of the wings for shade. My DDIL sent us an email telling us that when she gets back home from her cruise, she will drive Patrick up to see us. He doesn't know this plan, so I had to be hush hush about that. Like he won't know when they get on I-5 driving up and him seeing green trees, he isn't going to know.. lol.

Regarding my sister and I, I have thought a lot about it. What isn't good is me putting so much emotions into this situation, while she puts in none. I have to just let that go. Realize that she isn't a planner, but she is a pacifier. She will say anything to pacify me, and my wanting accountability from her.

I have a name plaque that says "The Gossetts" with all our names on it. I have decided to make plaques for both older sons. The eldest sons' will be like the plaque we had a long time ago. It said "The Gossett Home~ This home is run Japanese style, please take off your shoes". In the background was a painted picture of Mt. Fuji with little Japanese kimono painted figures with our names under them. It was stolen when we were in California... So I will use that theme for his.
    My middle son likes science, video games, so maybe the writing will be futuristic, like "Tomorrowland" at Disneyland. His wife likes Disney characters, so maybe some characters that could hang on the bottom of the plaque. Should be fun projects!

Have a great Sunday all!
    Happy Birthday Kirby!!!!!!! You are 1/2 of our "token Power Couple"!!!

Becca
    Lovin life in Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    :)
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    I'm sorry, I can't remember who was headed to Colorado for visits and a mini-vacation but if your plans had you venturing up in the Boulder/Nederland area they are currently dealing with a wildfire that has roads closed and evacuations going on in the Nederland area. I can see the smoke from my house as it's risen so high in the sky.

Charleen in Colorado (Worried for my mountain neighbors, please let it rain!)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Charleen, my oldest sister lives in Boulder, with the mountain directly behind their house. The fires a few years ago were so worrisome! I hope Nederland survives. I have a lot of fond memories of taking my middle son and girls up there when he was still out in Boulder (he is now back in Iowa just down the street from me).
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,813 Member
    Rita from CT
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) I am happy to see our sharing on the subjects of healthy living and stories about our personal success and challenges.

:) Jake continues to improve. Today he went with me to the grocery store to pick up several items (one of them was laundry soap since I'm washing sheets and towels every day) and he wore regular clothes, walked into the store with me to choose some bread and cheese that he wanted and then went back to the car while I checked out. Later he took a long nap and is resting now on the couch. I see his progress as great but he is more aware of how far he has to go and is having trouble avoiding a feeling of discouragement.

t31211.gif I haven't done my weight training yet today and can feel myself finding reasons to put it off til later.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    The forest fire is called the Cold Springs fire. 2,000 people evacuated, 600 acres afire and growing. You can't get from Boulder to Netherland, they have closed all the roads.

We've had high winds and no humidity all day today. Latest news is they will be turning over control to the Federal firefighters this evening as it has become a Type 2 fire. No containment and the weather forecast is not good for fighting the fire.

BTW - Denver broke their high temp today - 101 degrees (F) with winds blowing 25-35 mph. Me? Don't know if our town's record was broken, we registered only 100 degrees (F).

Charleen in Colorado (I can see it, but am not affected)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    barbie that sounds like a lot progress for Jake but I can understand how it feels like forever feeling back to normal when you are going through it yourself

Becca love the nameplate project it will be a real keepsake

Had a great day eating well and got in some exercise as well as spending time with OS. I AM COPING.

NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) I am catching up on my reading and I found this quote from George Foreman that I want to share:

"I look at it this way: If I want to eat, I have to work out. The only fights I have these days are walking away from dessert bars and staying away from gravy."
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Pip: Happy Birthday to Kirby! :bigsmile: Congratulations to you for overcoming poor doctor advice about your shoulder injury and getting it taken care of properly. (((HUGS)))

Larisa: You don't look your age at all. I'd guess you at mid thirties based on the photo. WTG! :bigsmile;

Heather: Your turkey-burger sounds yummy. I would never have thought of mint. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Hugs to Jake. I hope he recovers quickly and notices the little improvements along the way, and celebrates them with you.

I spotted a friend down on the dock this afternoon and had a great visit with her. One of our former neighbors moved in near her and is a good neighbor so far. I'm glad to hear it. The former neighbor was a rule-breaker around here and unwilling to follow homeowner association rules. I hope she is happier in her new neighborhood.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Did 50 minutes of Windsor Pilates Accelerated Body Sculpting DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of a daily yoga DVD, hold my plank, then take the extreme pump class.

Rori - how many science experiments did you find in that refrigerator? Have fun at the lunch!

Vince wants to cut the grass under the power lines and in the front yard today. I think what should happen first is for me to rake where I've already cut down bushes. See, what's left on the ground is little pieces of the sticker bush. It happens that when I'm cutting, those pieces sometimes will stick to the lower parts of my legs. I'm thinking that I'll rake them up and then throw them on the lot next to us (thank goodness it's there). Lisa - your suggestion of burning the weeds really isn't a bad one the more I think of it. We will have the fire company here to make sure it's controlled. I'm going to run that by Vince and see what he thinks. Update: he doesn't think the fire dept. will come to a person's home to do a controlled burn. I would think they'd rather be here than be called because something went out of control. I'm going to give them a call anyway What's the worst they can say? "No?"

Re - I know I've said it before but let me say it again. Be sure when you're doing your crunches that you also work your lower back. My hair isn't as thick as it used to be, either. Sure hope the scale is good to you tomorrow. Be sure to let us know

Glo - I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well

Katie - When I prepped for my colonoscopy, it took a long, long, long time before I could look at Gatorade again. Really, about the only time I ever really have it is when I am prepping for a colonoscopy!

Went outside and cut the grass, I used the push behind, some of the weedwacking, and sweeping. The plan for Tuesday is that Vince will cut the backyard while I work on the weeds. Don't worry, today alone I had 48oz of water. Raked where I had cut the weeds only because the small pieces that are there have stickers and those stickers stick to my socks etc. We'll go to Food Lion, they have soda on sale and Vince needs soda. I also want to get a few other things (like vegetables if they'll take my coupon) and Suddenly Salad to donate since I have a coupon.

paba - welcome back! You sure have a lot on your plate

KJ - happy anniversary! Sounds like you had a wonderful evening

pip - wish Kirby a happy birthday from me. Has it already been a year for your shoulder? Boy, time goes by quickly

Katie - can you have a banana popsicle? I thought everything you had you had to be able to see thru. I admit, I had some chicken broth and you couldn't see thru that. But no one said anything. One pop probably isn't going to do you in. Just don't tell them you had it. Oh, a friend of mine who has quite a sensitive stomach, said that you also aren't supposed to have anything blue (like blue Gatorade) but I don't think this is a rule for everyone, just for those with a really sensitive stomach.

Larisa - love those stockings!

Heather - so glad you're feeling better. We all have those days. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought you were a vegetarian, or at least pescatarian. Now I know differently.

Vicki - you know, pulling all those weeds and sweating so much, drinking so much water, yet when I went to weight in today I gained .5 pound from last week. Go figure! It's just frustrating, I'm always in the high 120's. Maybe someone can look over my diary and see if there's something there that I can do otherwise. I'm really trying to cut back on the refined carbs. Admitted, I don't do it completely, but I sure try to watch it. And I try to have lots of different veges and fruits. My dessert is usually a piece of fruit.

Rorosie - please don't leave. I've been on this forum for many years now and I think this is the absolute most we've ever discussed anything political. Trust me "this too shall pass". Everyone here is so very supportive

Michele in NC
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member