WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Debbie, good luck to you and your husband tomorrow. When my husband is in the hospital those walks do pile up and it's amazing how many steps you get. Whenever Charlie is in I get a lot because they have a 'quiet' hospital and the elevators are far away from the patient wings and you get a lot of walking to get to the cafeteria, parking lot, bathroom, walks with husband, sanity walks, etc.

Some one mentioned earlier about whether Charlie should take enemas through his ileostomy. If it were a colostomy, there might be a reason but not an ileostomy. The stoma is right off of the small intestine and it's always liquid or pasty poo. A colostomy is closer to your rectum and is a more formed poo.

I could write a book on my child hood. In fact I had decided at one time that I wanted to. I even named it 'The recollection of my life through rose colored glasses'. My husband says I always see the world through rose colored glasses. That's OK, I like it that way. Like I tell him, I see the bad things, I know they are there. I just prefer to not put those things front and center. I was born in 1950 to a Southern Baptist preacher and his wife. She was busy enough being the preachers wife that sometimes she had odd jobs and sometimes she didn't. My favorite job was when she worked at the A&W! Anyway, I was one of 5 children. When Mom and dad were dating, Mom said she wanted 3 girls. Dad said no, he wanted 2 boys. So that is what God gave them. I was the middle. The sister that is older than me is only 18 months older so we were and are very close. We are the ones who live in the same town/city or whatever you call this place. There are 8 years between me and my brother and then they are 14 months apart. The doctor that delivered them was named Dr. Stork!. Dad only had a seminary degree so his churches were all small. So we always had lots of 'Moms' an we moved a lot. But that gave me a lot of life experiences and we saw a lot of places. Mostly we lived in Illinois and Indiana. We were a happy family, poor but us kids didn't know we were poor because of how we were loved. Dad would pick up odd jobs. ONe time he was a preacher, a Salerno cookie route salesman and worked for a funeral home at the same time. Oh, he was also president of the high school PTA at the same time. They always pushed us to be our best even if our best wasn't the best that a sibling's best was. We all went to college. I was a nurse for 29 years before MS decided I needed to be at home and that was one of the best things that happened to me. My youngest daughter was just leaving the house for college and we were empty nesters. I really enjoyed being just a housewife and evaluating my life. I found out that I had my priorities in life all messed up. I put nursing before everything else. So I had a chance to redo some of that. I'm glad that my relationship with my two daughters survived and thrived all my mistakes. But we always made sure we had good baby sitters like my sister, sister in law or my Mom. We did have a couple of others but they knew our love. One time at my husband's work they asked him if he was babysitting that night since they knew I was working. His answer was no. He was their Dad and not the baby sitter.

OK, That is part of my life story.

One of the things I have been doing since Charlie's surgery is packing this hole at the top of his incision. That hole is so tiny I can hardly get nay packing in it anymore. I hope when we see the surgeon Wednesday he will say we don't have to pack it anymore. He see his cardiologist that handles his atrial fibrillation on Tuesday. I see my dentist for a follow up on how my partial plate is doing. I'm not sure how I am going to fit lunch in there.

Joyce, Indiana It didn't rain today!!!!!!!!!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Debbie - Thinking of you and your DH as he goes through his tests.
    My cancer friend 's results showed STABLE. That is great at her late stage. She is on the new wonder drug from the US. She broke a rib the other day from coughing. Must go up to London to see her.
    Beautiful morning. Time to take DH a cup of tea.

Love Heather xxxxx
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Glo, so glad you made it through and that there was no brownie in sight. Good job. If I’m busy I find any thought of hunger passes quickly but if I’m not, OMG it just screams at me. argh-smiley-emoticon.png

JoyceSD, I’m sorry you can’t post more often. I feel that I am more accountable because I know most of these ladies and they know me. Do come as often as you can and let us hear from you. You are on the right track about the way to lose weight and keep it off. Just take it one step at a time and good luck.

Linda, a huge congrats on finishing the race under your time. Those races look like so much fun. Great picture!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie, I hope they can find the reason for your DH’s chest pains. Are they leaning away from heart because they often can tell from bloodwork.

It’s almost 3:00 in the morning. I didn’t get up this early. I’ve been trying to go to sleep since 10:30. I finally took a sleeping pill a few minutes ago and think it may be taking affect so I must head back to bed.sleep-in-bed.gif
    You ladies are so important to me and I'm so happy to have you part of my life. <3<3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,940 Member
    Oh, DJ, you're up with me!

I've been up since 2:00 drinking the second round of prep. Yucky, yucky, stuff. If you thought this stuff was bad at 6:00 p.m., try drinking it at 2:00 in the morning. One more hour. Bleck!

Michele, banana Popsicles were on my list of suggested foods, as was chicken broth. Blue Gatorade was a definite no-no. Green and yellow - okay, nothing red, orange, purple or blue. It might stain the colon making it hard to see during the scope.

Ok, KetoneKaren, you made me Google. Luckily my bottom is holding out okay.

MFP yelled at me big time about my 575 daily calorie count. But there's just so much jello, broth and Popsicles one can drink. I was okay with the no 5-week weight projection, but the no announcement in my newsfeed seemed a little harsh. Whatever! I'm sure I'll make up for it later today.

Congratulations, Re! You are rocking it.

The timer just dinged again. Duty calls!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Up wide awake at 2:30, hi all--especially our friends across the pond starting their days...

Got most of the mowing done, but threw in the towel at the rockiest bit, which the DH went ahead and finished-I was already up to 14,000 steps by that time. We also reconstructed the fence where we'd backed the camper in. Felt much more safe and relaxed once the privacy fences was back up. Before that, we removed all the rocks, lumber, fencing materials and other stuff that had accumulated in back of the warehouse. My husband said he wants me to paint a mural all the way across the back of the warehouse of mountains, streams, trees, etc. I think he was joking. I hope he was joking. The back of the warehouse is the view out the front windows of the camper/trailer. Plus about a quarter acre of what could jokingly be called a lawn, if you're a complete optimist. Which, of course, we both are. The back of the warehouse, by the way, is approximately 80 feet long, and 14 feet high. And constructed of corrugated metal, painted white at the moment...

We bought some of the "grow anywhere" grass seed, and he started spreading that everywhere, because we're vaguely realistic optimists. Got the grill set up near the camper, and he's doing most of the cooking out there, but today, I'll put a turkey breast in the crockpot and get it done for dinner, plus sandwiches for him for the week. Probably throw baby sweet potatoes on the grill to go with it. Trying not to cook too much inside the camper, as the temps are spiking over 100 degrees every single day. Yesterday was the first day in a week that we hadn't had a thunderstorm blow up and cool things down mid-afternoon, so it was scorchingly hot.

Got an article on the history of water in Pecos County that I need to get finished before I go into work, so a bit more research to do... Love y'all!

Lisa in West Texas
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Hello Ladies. <3 It's been a while since I last posted here, but have been reading and keeping up with all your lives.

I've been feeling sad lately, kind of numb really. Hopefully, this will pass.

DS gets home from Germany on Tuesday.

DH has settled in to working from home.

DD and I have been dorm room shopping and clothes shopping for when she leaves for college. All indications suggest she will need a good pair of rain boots too.

My oldest son and I went to see Mac Beth at the Old Globe theater here in Balboa Park. It was his suggestion, and as he/they get older I find myself looking for ways to stay relevant in their lives. It's very odd really.

Signing off now. Time for bed. Goodnight friends :wink:

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    rosie. I will be planning/shopping for my DD to go off to college soon as well. Kind of exciting and bittersweet all at the same time!

Lisa never thought of sweet potatoes on the grill. Do you just wrap them in foil and roast them? That sounds delightful.

Tonite's menu is going to include faro with garlic and mushrooms, sautéed spinach and chicken sausage, yummmmm
    NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2016
    NYKAREN - you don't even need to wrap sweet potatoes in foil. Put them on the grill whole, off the direct heat if possible, and just grill them 'til they're squishy soft. Smaller ones do better; the large ones can take as long as an hour, according to your grill temp, etc. The outer peel will often turn black before they're fully cooked, not to worry, just get rid of it before you put it on the plate. The outer flesh of the sweet potato will caramelize while cooking and get even sweeter, and, with that mashed into the rest, tastes amazing with just a little salt. A small amount of butter makes it pure heaven... To store extra grilled potatoes, leave the peel on, put in a ziploc and keep in the fridge for up to a week. Peel, mash a little and put in the microwave to get that grilled flavor later in the week. Don't store the fresh ones in the fridge, just somewhere dark and cool.

They're selling baby sweet potatoes now in bags, at about the same price per pound as the larger ones. That's what we used Saturday night, took like 20 minutes and they were ready to eat. They mixed one of the blond or yellow ones in the bag, and it was a much milder flavor. True sweet potatoes should be bright orange inside, and they're the ones I use.

Lisa

And for those who are confused between the varieties, here's one of the better explanations I've found: http://www.thekitchn.com/good-question-y-14970.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Morning ladies~
    I am up and feel well rested..
    Pip~ wish Kirby the fondest of wishes for his birthday sorry its late.. but better nate than lever lol
    I work today 9-5.
    Yesterday was a fun day with Tal we went to the movies, her and I and then came back here for a bit, and then out to visit my DB and DSIL Jeans brother is making things harder and harder, he called the cops last week and told them there were guns in the house, so 2 cops show up and asked if there were and my brother has 2 bee bee guns.. so they asked to see them, chuckling all the way... and then somehow He found out my brother's cell number and signed him up for a gay dating site..this guy is downright out there narrcasist(sp)so Faith even though she is losing the short term memory has had enough and will be going down to the police station and getting a restraining order.. it is needed, because we are all soooo done with his cr@p..and I dont want him anywhere near us while they are gone on there honeymoon..
    my life story~
    was born 1960 -2 weeks early ,but my mom was a smoker alot were back then, dad was working as asst manager at Friendly's back then and didn't get there until after I was born.. I was 3lbs 4 oz . a little one but was able to go home at 4 lbs because mom was a nursing student and knew how to take care of preemie's
    I was a spoiled little girl, and my mom had a son before me that died when he was just hours old ,from lack of oxygen.. and she had a miscarriage after me, so they signed up november 1st 1964 for a baby, and brought my brother home on there anniversary November 30th 1964 ,fastest adoption I think in Connecticut History...
    so there I was a baby brother, and they had the nerve to put him in my room in a crib.. to say my nose was out of joint was an understatement, I would go over and shake the crib and make hi scream.. I was one bad bad girl..
    but as he grew,it all worked out .. we did have a wonderful neighborhood.. lots of kids ,the bad ones moved out when I was about 8 or so, one of the older boys almost killed me a few times.. both his parents were alcoholics so it wasn't a great time for them or me back then..
    But my children grew up with my friends children and they are best of friends still so that says so much for small hometowns..
    Married a guy I met at the local bar.. first time I met his mom she was on the phyc ward at the hospital.. which should have been a warning.. it was great for the first 5 -6 years and then his mental issues started to surface.. and progressively got worse.. until I made the choice to leave, believe me it was not easy, and my one bad move was to give primary residence to Rich, that did not work well. I had met Tom by then and he was loving and caring and nothing like he is now.. time changes a person I guess..
    but my children are grown,they are healthy , my dad is in pretty good shape and right now except for my kidneys and my weight I am in pretty good shape.. so I consider myself blessed..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :)Lisa, I always write "yam" on my shopping list because it's a shorter word but I buy one large garnet sweet potato and and put olive oil on it, poke some holes, an wrap it in a paper towel. One large sweet potato is perfect to divide for Jake and me as a side with another vegetable and some protein.

:) This morning is our regular appointment with the chiropractor. Jake won't get an adjustment but just spend a few minutes telling the chiropractor about his spine surgery. It was the chiropractor who recommended the spine surgeon.

:) No time to tell a childhood story, so here is a photo

adsdj5zvfuad.jpg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Aww Barbie what a cutie you <3 and still are
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,818 Member
    Good morning ladies! Posting using my phone, so short post. The first visit I had with a therapist he had me write a time line of my life. It ended up 7 pages long, so won't post here.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,818 Member
    Artful! Half my post disappeared! I hate using my phone to post!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! It is a rumbly, rainy morning here. Storms are supposed to move through by noon and be replaced with three or four days of temps in the high 90's and of course, good ole Michigan HUMIDITY. Whoot! Looks like I am going to try to get ALL of my sweaty exercising done in the early morning.
    Pip-Happy belated birthday to Kirby!
    I am loving all of the childhood posts! I will add mine a little later as my kids are already here and I was late to log in to mfp today.
    Love and hugs to all that need them<3 And thanks to all for the anniversary blessings!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    o:)
  • melaniemetoyer
    melaniemetoyer Posts: 50 Member
    Good morning ladies....well, the pot is still simmering here in Baton Rouge. Tension is palpable, and divided for the most part, right down the center of racial lines. :# and I just think everyone just needs to step back, PRAY, and let the justice system COMPLETE its investigation. Thanks for the prayers, please continue to think not just of Baton Rouge, but Dallas, Minnesota, and wherever else there is strife in this world.
    Got on the scale this morning....LOST 4lbs yippee!!!!! I do have a question though...If you eat a multi-ingredient dish, (I made lasagna yesterday), when logging it, should one in the data be used, or should each ingredient be logged individually?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Rosie thanks for the update!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Barbie Picture is worth a thousand words. Adorable!

I worked so hard the last 2 days I got a bit dehydrated and had cramps in my legs last night. I usually take a Magnesium Citrate before bedtime but I was so tired I forgot. Sipping a protein shake this am because I am a wee bit nauseated and can't face breakfast. Next is some peppermint tea...I will perk up after a while but will indulge in some lolling about, Today Show, and this thread for awhile...

Next childhood installment:

I lived in a small town in Nebraska with my parents, 2 brothers, and sister. I had a good childhood...I owned a horse and participated in 4-H horse club every summer. I had Trigger, then Major, then Buddy. A Shetland and two quarter horses. My sister was a really great horsewoman, so talented. I loved it but wasn't as dedicated to my performance, I just liked to ride the horses and I loved them, too. They were my big buddies. My mom was afraid of the horses, but helped us with them when Dad wasn't available. She had grit.

My parents owned a primitive cabin on a reservoir which provided water for irrigation to the farmers, and I learned to water ski when I was 7, slalom skiing by the age of 10. My summertime birthday was almost always at the cabin. My paternal grandmother would wrap my present in a very elaborate wrapping and ribbons and tape candy to the top in an artful way. My mom made delicious BBQ chicken on the grill every year for my birthday and I got to pick the cake and ice cream I wanted (peppermint and peppermint usually). I usually invited one special friend to the cabin on my birthday, and she would stay overnight with us.

At the lake in the morning after breakfast, we helped mom sweep up the sand (we used sweeping compound) from the concrete floor of the cabin and made the beds, opened the windows and aired out the sleepy staleness. Then trudged up the hill to use the outhouse, and then put on our suits and headed down to the "beach" - sand that was hauled in every year by the men - and start our sun worshipping, swimming, skiing, and frolicking. We "bathed" in the lake water, even washed our hair in it, because we had only cold running water in the kitchen sink in the cabin.

Dad drove the little motorboat and Mom helped the youngest kids out in the water by steadying us until the boat pulled us up on our little skis...she was tireless...we fell again and again...then at lunchtime Mom had suddenly transported herself up the hill and magically prepared a wonderful refreshing meal which we were alerted to by the ringing of a triangle dinner bell. We usually took a nap after we helped Mom clean up the lunch mess, and then after the hottest part of the day was over, we would go back for more swimming and exploring.

The adults allowed us to be in the water up to our armpits without supervision (!!!) and in the waning light of the late day, while we were still lingering in the water down the hill, they would sit outside the cabin with other "cabin neighbors" or friends from town who had driven out, drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon and laughing and talking. We felt very grown up as we straggled up the hill from the lake (watching for rattlesnakes, of course) and were allowed one tiny sip of ice cold beer which was strangely delicious. Then we would head inside to strip off our suits (which is how all the sand ended up on the floor), put on wonderful-feeling clean, dry clothes, and play board games or go off to visit friends in nearby cabins until suppertime.

We slept like rocks on those thin mattresses on simple wood bunk beds.

Those were the days...

Love to you all.

Karen in Virginia
  • pitaroyal
    pitaroyal Posts: 2 Member
    This seems like a nice, caring group! I start today, first goal, logging the food and using the site as intended for week one. Yes, I do need to start small. And, I need to focus for the long term, as I have a bit of weight to try to lose as I try to improve my health. I want to try to add one positive behavior per week. I am going to look at some gyms in the local area to get started on regular exercise, which must be a component for me. I have become too sedentary, and my job seems to be more and more computer (read that "sitting") dependent. So next week I hope to have determined a good gym fit for me. So from Maple Valley, WA, cheers to the coming adventure!