Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hot topics! Sugar in fruit

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue with fruit juices anyway outside of the "drinking calories" argument. The sugar in a glass of orange juice is the same sugar that is in the two oranges it was made from. Why would eating 2 oranges be better than drinking them if in a context of a balanced diet you are getting plenty of fiber anyway?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    People are arguing in favor of juice as a good everyday choice for kids? I think thats's a bad idea. Kids don't eat that many calories. An active 8 year old might need 1400-1500kcal. Tops. A cup of juice would be one tenth of a child's calories for the day, with over 30g of carbs, about 20g of which is sugar. That's a lot of calories to devote to something without much of a nutritional punch.

Plus sugary drink cosumption is linked to health problems like insulin resistance down the road. I'd rather they eat the entire 3-4 apples rather than drink the sugars of those apples as a cup of juice. And yes, I doubt they would eat 3 or 4 apples in a day. Perhaps that is the body's way of saying it does need or want 3 or 4 apples every day. Maybe on a rare day they would eat it so I'll keep juice consumption as rare too.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    This *llama* is getting ridiculous...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dykask wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    dykask wrote: »
    @ndj1979 you are pushing nonsense to some extent. There is a huge difference between getting fructose from drinking juice or getting it from eating the fruit. The fructose in juice is much more concentrated and will hit the blood and be dumped in the liver at a much higher rate and fructose absorbed by eating fruit.

There are not plenty of studies linking sugary drinks with metabolic problems. Toxicity is often depended on dosage. So while sugar is sugar, dumping 65g of sugar into your blood via a drink isn't the same as getting that same amount of sugar by eating enough fruit. The fiber in fruit tends to gum things up and slow the process down.

This assumes (1) that it is always bad for something to be a quickly digested/fast carb; and (2) that you consume juice alone. With respect to (1), it only really matters if you have blood sugar/IR issues, and can be a positive if you are refueling during/after exercise. I like to eat a banana before or after a run, sometimes, and bananas are pretty low fiber, so same idea. With respect to (2), I actually think most people drink juice with other food. I rarely drink calories, including juice, but every once in a while I'll have a small glass of juice (nowhere near 65 g, which would require something like 3 cups) with breakfast. The things I eat along with it slow down absorption, just like the fiber in fruit. That's why rules that overgeneralize (juice always has X, Y, Z effects and that's bad) are not useful and tend to miss the bigger picture.

Well there is a big problem with your juice theory, kids. It is common to let kids have juice, I used to do it too. I'm seriously considering getting DEXA scans for my kids. Probably won't they are thin as rails and we've cut way back on juice. Still it is scary.

Maybe I'm naive as to what DEXA scans do, doesn't it just measure body fat percentage? How in any way would that be a helpful benchmark for you to have for your growing children? Children's bodies change constantly, how would knowing what body fat percent they have at a particular age, knowing that it could very well change with the next growth spurt, be relevant at all as far as their overall health? Also not sure why juice would be the scapegoat if the results do not meet your standards... wouldn't looking at their total diet and all of their calorie consumption be more helpful? Or, I don't know, talking to their pediatrician to see if he/she has any concerns that you need to monitor or adjust for?

The DEXA scan I had also measured bone density. Perhaps he thinks the sugar from juice is making his kids have thinned bones?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I drank a 4 oz. glass of orange juice with my breakfast, every single morning, for at least the first 18 years of my life. I had cereal (usually sugary) in milk or frozen waffles with Aunt Jemima syrup and butter along with it. I was a string bean for my entire childhood. I didn't even get marginally overweight until I was in my 30's, and that was because I became sedentary (and by that point I had stopped drinking OJ in the morning).

There's nothing wrong with children drinking fruit juice. It's when their entire diet is loaded with sugary-ness (and calories) and they sit on their butts all day and become overweight that there is a problem.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    People are arguing in favor of juice as a good everyday choice for kids? I think thats's a bad idea. Kids don't eat that many calories. An active 8 year old might need 1400-1500kcal. Tops. A cup of juice would be one tenth of a child's calories for the day, with over 30g of carbs, about 20g of which is sugar. That's a lot of calories to devote to something without much of a nutritional punch.

Plus sugary drink cosumption is linked to health problems like insulin resistance down the road. I'd rather they eat the entire 3-4 apples rather than drink the sugars of those apples as a cup of juice. And yes, I doubt they would eat 3 or 4 apples in a day. Perhaps that is the body's way of saying it does need or want 3 or 4 apples every day. Maybe on a rare day they would eat it so I'll keep juice consumption as rare too.

We're watching carbs for kids now? In the context of a balanced diet 150 calories of juice is nothing (which is not nutritionally devoid mind you). You eat low carb, you know how to cram all the nutrition you need in less than half of the calories you consume (the rest of which fat). It doesn't take a lot to have a nutritious diet. And the insulin resistance "link" is circumstantial at best. Many less developed communities consume a lot of sugar in fruit and honey form with no insulin resistance problems. Want kids healthy? Encourage physical activity instead of restricting their macros.

Juice is about the same as soda, so yes. I limit that. No, I do not want them having a cup of juice or soda for breakfast. I'll limit empty sugar calories (carbs) in my kids' diet. If you want to consider one tenth of your children's diet as nothing, then fine. I don't want every tenth swallow of my kids' diet to be juice or soda.

I said if my kids want to eat the equivalent fruit that a glass of juice will hold, I am for that. A cup of apple juice is 3-4 apples. If my kids want that they have 3-4 apples. I say go for it. I doubt they would ask for extra like they would for juice. It's a sugar water. They would eat sugar cubes if I let them. I don't see the need for that. That's why I restrictjuice and soda to a treat. A rare thing.

My 13 year old had a canteloupe and bacon for breakfast today. My younger two had pancakes (made with coconut flour, flax meal, chia, hemp hearts, protein powder, mashed banana, coconut oil, lots of eggs and cream) and maple syrup. I make a low carb pancake because they like to add maple syrup to their pancakes. And yes, I limit the syrup they put on pancakes too. We keep it to 1 Tbs. No need for a syrup puddle. Aren't I a big meanie? ;)

I keep my kids gluten free too because celiac runs in the family. Do you see that as deprivation or as me keeping my kids healthy and safe?

As their parent, I make the choices concerning the foods my kids have access to. I want the vast majority of those foods to be about better health. I think keeping carbs lower, at least moderate, is a healthy choice. I try to limit their processed, sugary, grain based carbs. They can eat as much fruit and veggies as they desire.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The WHO spent more time on this than I have and concluded that fruit juice aka "free sugars" is not the same as sugar in fruit. I'm sure they published their reasons.

Tooth decay is probably the biggest concern in kids.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I love cake, but fruit cake is gross. Now chocolate . . .

dude, everyone knows fruit cake is better than chocolate cake because fiber....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

And the rum. :drink:
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Fiber is what they make cables out of. There is literally a disease called cystic fibrosis. Fibroids are a benign tumor. Why would I want to eat fiber???!!!!