Is it even possible for ANYONE to be a size 0/1?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I remember in high school dreaming about being a "perfect size 7". But never thought it would be possible because of my "frame". The idea of even being 125 seemed like an impossibility.

If I told myself at 33 I would be 113lbs and a 0/00, there's no way I would have believed it.

I think it's hard for people to wrap their head around a size if they've been heavier most of their lives. And even more so if they've gained weight as they've aged or when they've had kids. That's why it's so common to hear, "I was that size at 16" or "I've had kids, I can never be that size again" blah blah
    Blah.

Nothing seems possible until it is.

Or, they truly don't have the frame size to fit a size 0. It's not that uncommon.

In the picture below, I am a size 10, and 22BMI. To get to size zero from there would entail losing 5 inches from my bust, 4 inches from my waist, and nearly 7 from my hips. At the bottom of my healthy BMI range, I am a size 6. In the kickboxing photos in my profile, I was 5'9", 135, and size 8.

Maybe you're right and I'm just a fat lady kidding myself, but I really don't think I was 5 sizes too big in this picture.
    xspkthghgory.jpg

Haha, what? You should feel secure enough to make a statement without projecting or putting words in my mouth.

Cute pic by the way. You look amazing.

Sorry if my post came off more harshly than intended, I was going for "wry", but I may have overshot.

I didn't take your post personally; I was just trying to make the point that there are people who *think* they can't fit into a zero but could at a slim and healthy size, and then there are the people (like me) for whom it truly is impossible.

Thanks for the pic comment, BTW. I was pretty hesitant to post it. With all the talk of "positive body dysmorphia" on the boards lately, part of me was bracing myself to be told I could stand to lose 20 lbs.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I remember in high school dreaming about being a "perfect size 7". But never thought it would be possible because of my "frame". The idea of even being 125 seemed like an impossibility.

If I told myself at 33 I would be 113lbs and a 0/00, there's no way I would have believed it.

I think it's hard for people to wrap their head around a size if they've been heavier most of their lives. And even more so if they've gained weight as they've aged or when they've had kids. That's why it's so common to hear, "I was that size at 16" or "I've had kids, I can never be that size again" blah blah
    Blah.

Or, they truly don't have the frame size to fit a size 0. It's not that uncommon.

In the picture below, I am a size 10, and 22BMI. To get to size zero from there would entail losing 5 inches from my bust, 4 inches from my waist, and nearly 7 from my hips. At the bottom of my healthy BMI range, I am a size 6. In the kickboxing photos in my profile, I was 5'9", 135, and size 8.

Maybe you're right and I'm just a fat lady kidding myself, but I really don't think I was 5 sizes too big in this picture.
    xspkthghgory.jpg

Haha, what? You should feel secure enough to make a statement without projecting or putting words in my mouth.

Sorry if my post came off more harshly than intended, I was going for "wry", but I may have overshot.

I didn't take your post personally; I was just trying to make the point that there are people who *think* they can't fit into a zero but could at a slim and healthy size, and then there are the people (like me) for whom it truly is impossible.

Thanks for the pic comment, BTW. I was pretty hesitant to post it. With all the talk of "positive body dysmorphia" on the boards lately, part of me was bracing myself to be told I could stand to lose 20 lbs.

Well I personally think you look incredible! Keep doing whatever you're doing, it's working ;)
  • josh31673
    josh31673 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Don't worry about clothing size numbers. They are BS. Just go by how you feel, be healthy and don't strive for teensy sizes.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    What every person can or cannot do isn't really relevant to your situation. Your bones didn't grow. Yes, you can get down to your former weight. If you've gained a significant amount of muscle mass then you may not want to, but significant extra weight is not a necessary component of aging.

Actually adults experience a hip width expansion of 1-2 inches between age 20 and 40. This corresponds to a circumference increase on average of 3 inches.

I'd be interested in reading that study. I know many fit people who are in their forties, fifties and sixties who are the same size they were in high school. A little change isn't bad, but several dress sizes isn't caused by a little hip expansion

Berger, A. A., May, R., Renner, J. B., Viradia, N. and Dahners, L. E. (2011), Surprising evidence of pelvic growth (widening) after skeletal maturity. J. Orthop. Res., 29: 1719–1723. doi: 10.1002/jor.21469

Here you go!

And the layman's news blurb coverage, which was surprisingly not bad:

Big Fat Truth: Hip Bones Widen With Age

Very interesting! I'm curious if a longitudinal study would show the same results. Instead of sampling different people at different ages, following the same people throughout their lives.

I couldn't get your first link to work found this abstract by googling:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21608025/
  • josh31673
    josh31673 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    Sorry but can we stop referencing a size 0 as a teenager's size/body? I'm a size 0 and a 31 year old woman. I'm not starving, I'm not sick, and I'm not killing myself to maintain it. It's the frame I was born with and the body I've built through hard work. When I was a teenager I was a size 13 to 16. Not everyone has to be a size 0, but the not-so-subtle shade being thrown at the size is a bit much. I'm not targeting any poster in particular but I've noticed overall there seems to be an aura of vitriol regarding the size. It's a tad offputting.

I just re-read the thread to see if I missed something, but as far as I can see, nobody disparaged size 0 or implied it was for teens only.

I think you might be reading into people's comments too much, because I honestly don't see anything I'd call hostile.

Edited to add: If my posts seemed to you or anyone as if I were implying only a skeleton would fit into a size 0, that isn't at all what I was talking about. I was referencing my own bone structure, which is tall and broad. I apologize if I wasn't clear and you felt like I was taking a swipe at you or anyone else.

Not you at all. Many posters in this thread have been fine. Just a few references to being a teen's body, people aspiring to weird things due to size 0, and someone saying they don't like the size 0 "look" are a few that come to mind. If I said I didn't like the size 14 "look", more than half of the women in America would want my head on a stick. There were a few other threads where the size was mentioned in such a way.

I absolutely understand part of the disdain due to societal standards but I just wanted to throw it out there because sometimes on this board, and in real life, I get subtly and not-so-subtly reminded that my size makes people think I starve or I'm less of a woman because I have no "shape" when I do or that it's not a "woman's shape" because no woman that has had kids can be a size 0 which is not only untrue but falsely ties being a mother to being a woman. Size 0 is a stupid as hell size (thanks America!) but is still a size.

One size doesn't fit all thankfully and that's definitely what the takeaway of this thread is about overall.

Ah that would be me then, I wasn't having a go at anyone at all. I also don't like the bodybuilder/physique look, is there a rule out there that I should?

I don't personally know anyone who is a size 0, just what I see through the media and the unfortunate souls who I look after who are probably a size 00000. I just wrongly assumed you couldn't be a size 0 without starving. This site has shown me that you can be healthy & a size 0

You probably know several people who are 0s...but most people don't go around announcing their clothing sizes, apart from around MFP, haha.

I'm going to look for a full body photo of me so you can see what "size 0" actually looks like, because I think you'll be very surprised. I look generally pretty rounded and curvy, even kind of chubby around the thighs/arms/face right now, but I'm still wearing 0s due to narrow frame and vanity sizing.

ETA: click behind the spoiler and you'll see a photo of me in an XS top and a size 0 skirt, and you'll see that you don't have to look super thin to be in those sizes.
    j3dmeecdxp6r.jpg

It's not a flattering photo and I can make myself look more slender in the right clothes and the right angles, but it's just to demonstrate that plenty of people you see day-to-day are being sized into 0s thanks to the way clothing sizes are exploding. I wonder every time I shop what truly skinny people do for clothing. Tailor, buy designer, order from Asia, or swim in their clothes, I guess.

Thanks for posting this. You look like a size 10, maybe an 8, in Aussie sizes. Which rest assured is pretty small.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Blah.

xspkthghgory.jpg

Absolutely not @MakePeasNotWar ! You look just right, you dont need to lose 1 pound more :smiley:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sorry but can we stop referencing a size 0 as a teenager's size/body? I'm a size 0 and a 31 year old woman. I'm not starving, I'm not sick, and I'm not killing myself to maintain it. It's the frame I was born with and the body I've built through hard work. When I was a teenager I was a size 13 to 16. Not everyone has to be a size 0, but the not-so-subtle shade being thrown at the size is a bit much. I'm not targeting any poster in particular but I've noticed overall there seems to be an aura of vitriol regarding the size. It's a tad offputting.

I just re-read the thread to see if I missed something, but as far as I can see, nobody disparaged size 0 or implied it was for teens only.

I think you might be reading into people's comments too much, because I honestly don't see anything I'd call hostile.

Edited to add: If my posts seemed to you or anyone as if I were implying only a skeleton would fit into a size 0, that isn't at all what I was talking about. I was referencing my own bone structure, which is tall and broad. I apologize if I wasn't clear and you felt like I was taking a swipe at you or anyone else.

Not you at all. Many posters in this thread have been fine. Just a few references to being a teen's body, people aspiring to weird things due to size 0, and someone saying they don't like the size 0 "look" are a few that come to mind. If I said I didn't like the size 14 "look", more than half of the women in America would want my head on a stick. There were a few other threads where the size was mentioned in such a way.

I absolutely understand part of the disdain due to societal standards but I just wanted to throw it out there because sometimes on this board, and in real life, I get subtly and not-so-subtly reminded that my size makes people think I starve or I'm less of a woman because I have no "shape" when I do or that it's not a "woman's shape" because no woman that has had kids can be a size 0 which is not only untrue but falsely ties being a mother to being a woman. Size 0 is a stupid as hell size (thanks America!) but is still a size.

One size doesn't fit all thankfully and that's definitely what the takeaway of this thread is about overall.

Ah that would be me then, I wasn't having a go at anyone at all. I also don't like the bodybuilder/physique look, is there a rule out there that I should?

I don't personally know anyone who is a size 0, just what I see through the media and the unfortunate souls who I look after who are probably a size 00000. I just wrongly assumed you couldn't be a size 0 without starving. This site has shown me that you can be healthy & a size 0

You probably know several people who are 0s...but most people don't go around announcing their clothing sizes, apart from around MFP, haha.

I'm going to look for a full body photo of me so you can see what "size 0" actually looks like, because I think you'll be very surprised. I look generally pretty rounded and curvy, even kind of chubby around the thighs/arms/face right now, but I'm still wearing 0s due to narrow frame and vanity sizing.

ETA: click behind the spoiler and you'll see a photo of me in an XS top and a size 0 skirt, and you'll see that you don't have to look super thin to be in those sizes.
    j3dmeecdxp6r.jpg

It's not a flattering photo and I can make myself look more slender in the right clothes and the right angles, but it's just to demonstrate that plenty of people you see day-to-day are being sized into 0s thanks to the way clothing sizes are exploding. I wonder every time I shop what truly skinny people do for clothing. Tailor, buy designer, order from Asia, or swim in their clothes, I guess.

Thanks for posting this. You look like a size 10, maybe an 8, in Aussie sizes. Which rest assured is pretty small.

I'm not worried about my size, I know I'm a healthy weight at 5'4" and 118 lbs and about 33-23-34 most of the time (that particular photo might have been an inch larger as it was near the end of my honeymoon and I'd been pigging out pretty hard). Checking size charts online it looks like I'd be more like a 6 AUS, but my point was really that you don't necessarily have to look skinny to be in small clothes sizes depending on your build and body composition. I've got a small frame so any and all additional fat shows really clearly on me and I can look chubby even if my measurements are small. YKWIM?

Mostly, I just want to reiterate that clothing sizes are incredibly meaningless and I think it's pretty foolish to aim for a certain size, as it doesn't really have any bearing on what your body actually looks like. My chunky little frame is not at all what people think of as "size 0", but still, I'm wearing the smallest size available at a lot of stores. Meanwhile we have someone upthread who looks maybe more slender than I do who's wearing a 10, so go figure...
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    What every person can or cannot do isn't really relevant to your situation. Your bones didn't grow. Yes, you can get down to your former weight. If you've gained a significant amount of muscle mass then you may not want to, but significant extra weight is not a necessary component of aging.

Actually adults experience a hip width expansion of 1-2 inches between age 20 and 40. This corresponds to a circumference increase on average of 3 inches.

I'd be interested in reading that study. I know many fit people who are in their forties, fifties and sixties who are the same size they were in high school. A little change isn't bad, but several dress sizes isn't caused by a little hip expansion

Berger, A. A., May, R., Renner, J. B., Viradia, N. and Dahners, L. E. (2011), Surprising evidence of pelvic growth (widening) after skeletal maturity. J. Orthop. Res., 29: 1719–1723. doi: 10.1002/jor.21469

Here you go!

Very interesting! I'm curious if a longitudinal study would show the same results. Instead of sampling different people at different ages, following the same people throughout their lives.

Thanks for the correct link. I am also curious about further studies. The summary listed above mentioned the 3 inch spread was from age 20 to 79 in the sample, but didn't adjust for gender. In any event that hits me as believable, but certainly wouldn't account for major weight gain over a short period. This hits me as something pretty insignificant when compared to current levels of obesity. I'll read the study tonight.

ETA: curious what they did to account for childbirth and at what degree things accelerated after age 60. We know there's a major drop in hormone levels in men after 60, and menopause for women. Should be an interesting read!
  • Christine_72
    Options

j3dmeecdxp6r.jpg

I'm not worried about my size, I know I'm a healthy weight at 5'4" and 118 lbs and about 33-23-34 most of the time (that particular photo might have been an inch larger as it was near the end of my honeymoon and I'd been pigging out pretty hard). Checking size charts online it looks like I'd be more like a 6 AUS, but my point was really that you don't necessarily have to look skinny to be in small clothes sizes depending on your build and body composition. I've got a small frame so any and all additional fat shows really clearly on me and I can look chubby even if my measurements are small. YKWIM?

Mostly, I just want to reiterate that clothing sizes are incredibly meaningless and I think it's pretty foolish to aim for a certain size, as it doesn't really have any bearing on what your body actually looks like. My chunky little frame is not at all what people think of as "size 0", but still, I'm wearing the smallest size available at a lot of stores. Meanwhile we have someone upthread who looks maybe more slender than I do who's wearing a 10, so go figure...

Well that just goes to show how good i am at visually guessing sizes lol I've never met anyone in real life who wears a size 6. Like i mentioned earlier, not even my short skinny daughter fit in a 6 as a teenager
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hey!:) Just to kind of echo everyone else, it completely depends. I used to struggle with anorexia and lost a ton of weight. I didn't fit into a 00 until I hit 93 lbs at 5'6 and my body was practically shutting down from being so underweight at that point. That's definitely not to say a 00 can't be healthy for someone else, but at my height and build aspiring for such a small pant size was dangerously impractical.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

Here you go!

Thanks for the correct link. I am also curious about further studies. The summary listed above mentioned the 3 inch spread was from age 20 to 79 in the sample, but didn't adjust for gender. In any event that hits me as believable, but certainly wouldn't account for major weight gain over a short period. This hits me as something pretty insignificant when compared to current levels of obesity. I'll read the study tonight.

ETA: curious what they did to account for childbirth and at what degree things accelerated after age 60. We know there's a major drop in hormone levels in men after 60, and menopause for women. Should be an interesting read!

The study shows the spread is less for females at 17mm versus 22mm for males over a 60 year period. It's certainly interesting, but this isn't going to have a major impact on clothing sizes.