Looking for geek friends. :)

Options

Replies

• Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Totally want some geek friends, also :-)
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a casual geek. I've dabbled in anime and cosplay clubs in college, but there was a weird reverse-social awkwardness effect. I'm not even sure how to describe it. I think maybe it was that I used to be really into anime and then kind of grew out of it.

But I like making costumes--I have a few steampunk items for myself, and I've helped my boyfriend make a Metal Gear Solid costume, once. I think for Halloween, he wants to be Altair from Assassin's Creed, and I'm kind of looking forward to that one.

One thing on my bucket list is to make some kind of Legend of Zelda costume. I'd love to play as Link, but there's a lot of possibilities in a franchise that big. In any case, I love playing Zelda games. Ocarina of Time is one of my favorites.

Right now boyfriend and I are playing through The Last of Us. Mostly it's me watching him play and trying not to be a backseat driver. It's a psychology thing, I think; I'm okay with watching zombie movies because it's always somebody else being chased, but I can't play zombie games because then it's me who has to actively defend my face from getting eaten.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I kick myself because I didn't mention that I also play D&D. I'm a second generation player, my dad played while he was stationed in Korea. I inherited his dice bag and his dice. I treasure it. :) We play every weekend we can and I DM one of the 2 that are active, (My husband's prepping the We Be Goblins campaign because we funded Reaper on kickstarter and we finally just got all of our Bones Miniatures.)

Also that SNES is my favorite system. I have played and beat all of the Final Fantasy games, with 3 (I guess they call it 6 now but for me it holds a special place in my heart as 3, because that's what it was when I watched my brother play) being my favorite. I remember not being able to read the dialogue and wanting to so bad. Brother wouldn't read to me. So it's why I learned to read! And Chrono Trigger, I can tell you all you need to know for all of those. There probably isn't an RPG on SNES I haven't at least heard of, let alone played.
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Complete geek here.. Been one as long as I can remember pretty much lol.. :P Started obviously with Nintendo, and as the years went on it evolved into computer gaming, renaissance festivals, Anime, D&D, etc.. And yes, the one picture of me on my profile is me at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, and yes I'm wearing a Kilt ;) Also lookin for geek friends to add!
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Complete geek here.. Been one as long as I can remember pretty much lol.. :P Started obviously with Nintendo, and as the years went on it evolved into computer gaming, renaissance festivals, Anime, D&D, etc.. And yes, the one picture of me on my profile is me at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, and yes I'm wearing a Kilt ;) Also lookin for geek friends to add!

My first gaming system was the odyssey. It was so cool. Mine was bright yellow. I was a hand ball SUPER STAR. :wink:
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    total geek but don't have any geek friends. I got no one to tell just how hot MIsha Collins (Supernatural) really is, LOL. No one gets it when I want to yell, "Dean! You just punched a cupid!"

I just tripped across Black Bulter and spent a whole mini-vacation fascinated with it! I have not watched enough Doctor Who yet, at least the new stuff. I was obsessed during the Tom Baker days.

If I don't have stuff to geek out about I write my own stuff-- Characters that have been in my head since high school. I'm 43 now just so one can have perspective.

But anyway geek out and lose weight, sounds like a plan
  • beckerkra
    Options

My first gaming system was the odyssey. It was so cool. Mine was bright yellow. I was a hand ball SUPER STAR. :wink:

haha, nice! I never got the pleasure of playing with one of those.. :( By the time I was old enough to really enjoy gaming systems, the Nintendo was fresh and new, and Ataris were already pretty rare, granted I did get to play around with Ataris a few times during my childhood.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm a craft geek. I like to crochet, cross-stitch, sew, and some DIY house projects.

I love my NES (I still have the one my parents bought for my sister and I for christmas when we were youngsters). I'm not much of a gamer when it comes to newer stuff though.

I love Batman.
    I am a Mac nerd.
    I love off beat musicals (I've seen Little Shop of Horrors over 100x)

My biggest nerd addiction is Buffy the Vampire Slayer though.

I'm 29, 5'7", married, no kids.
    SW: 185ish
    CW: 163
    GW: 150
  • beckerkra
    Options

I am a Mac nerd.

Boo, Macs! hehe j/k ;)
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The first system we had in our house was a nintendo. I wasn't really allowed to play it, it was my brothers and he always got the systems because he was the oldest and a boy. He also got a super nintendo with ff3 and Secret of Mana. Man, I loved watching him play even when I didn't understand what was going on. When my cousins asked what I wanted to play they always had to follow up with "NOT FINAL FANTASY."

I was so happy when my then boyfriend now husband and I moved in together and he had a nintendo. My first console was a playstation. First one I bought myself was a PS2 that I still have, it's my baby. I bought my husband an XBox 360 for our first dating anniversary (this was big for him seeing as he didn't have a job yet or anything but a computer. He always borrowed his friend's game systems.)

I love Doctor Who. I started watching it with my mom with Eccleston. She was a huge fan from before the new series. Now that I'm waiting on the 50th and Christmas specials (so excited) I've gone back and started watching the originals. Mostly out of curiosity, some of the earlier stuff is really hard to get through!

Also, other things I really like. Star Trek. I've seen every episode of TNG, Voyager (is my favorite) and I'm going through DS9. Next I will watch Enterprise and then the original series. I've seen every episode of Stargate SG-1 up until O'Neil left but I couldn't get into Atlantis or SG-U. Heroes I watched every episode of until the last season where I just couldn't get into it, either. Firefly. RED DWARF. That is a childhood love that is unparalleled. It was what we watched on our Family Night, after ordering a pizza. It was so great! Watched every episode of Eureka, too. I'm watching Warehouse 13, although Mika is really irritating to me. I can't really get into the more dramatic Sci-fi. Oh, also I watch Once Upon a Time and Glee. Those are guilty pleasures of mine. I was a choir/improv/theater geek. Even attempted to go to school for theater. It was too expensive. :(

Okay. That's it until I can remember what else.

Oh, yeah. One more thing. My favorite memories include the drive from my mom to my dad's house on weekends where my dad would tell me all about the comic books he read growing up, and that is how I learned about Marvel and DC heroes. Through oral tradition. Like they used to do it!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    comics...ps3...star trek.

feel free to add me.

8488541.png
  • TheRealMrsHow
    Options
    I'm a literature geek. To. The. Bone. I'm an English Major so it kind of works for me. I make references at gatherings that no one else seems to get because they refer to books written hundreds of years ago. I can appreciate your dis-interest in socializing. I find myself surrounded by my kids (daughter 7, son 8), my dog (Molly Bloom, named after Leopold's wife from James Joyce's _Ulysses_), my cat John Milton (named after the poet), and my husband. I have 2 friends. Literally.

I play PS3 with my fam. Our game is LBP and we now have the LBP Karting (we were super excited about it). I knit, mostly just scarves and hats for my friends, their kids, and myself. When I go to functions with my husband and I don't know anybody, I gravitate toward the older people, as in the 60-70 year olds. They are the only people that seem to "get me." I am 29, and completely misunderstood by my generation because I'm considered "boring." When really, I'm not--I find many people of my generation to be touch too cliche for me. I said it, I don't regret it. :)
  • beckerkra
    Options
    The first system we had in our house was a nintendo. I wasn't really allowed to play it, it was my brothers and he always got the systems because he was the oldest and a boy. He also got a super nintendo with ff3 and Secret of Mana. Man, I loved watching him play even when I didn't understand what was going on. When my cousins asked what I wanted to play they always had to follow up with "NOT FINAL FANTASY."

I was so happy when my then boyfriend now husband and I moved in together and he had a nintendo. My first console was a playstation. First one I bought myself was a PS2 that I still have, it's my baby. I bought my husband an XBox 360 for our first dating anniversary (this was big for him seeing as he didn't have a job yet or anything but a computer. He always borrowed his friend's game systems.)

I love Doctor Who. I started watching it with my mom with Eccleston. She was a huge fan from before the new series. Now that I'm waiting on the 50th and Christmas specials (so excited) I've gone back and started watching the originals. Mostly out of curiosity, some of the earlier stuff is really hard to get through!

Also, other things I really like. Star Trek. I've seen every episode of TNG, Voyager (is my favorite) and I'm going through DS9. Next I will watch Enterprise and then the original series. I've seen every episode of Stargate SG-1 up until O'Neil left but I couldn't get into Atlantis or SG-U. Heroes I watched every episode of until the last season where I just couldn't get into it, either. Firefly. RED DWARF. That is a childhood love that is unparalleled. It was what we watched on our Family Night, after ordering a pizza. It was so great! Watched every episode of Eureka, too. I'm watching Warehouse 13, although Mika is really irritating to me. I can't really get into the more dramatic Sci-fi. Oh, also I watch Once Upon a Time and Glee. Those are guilty pleasures of mine. I was a choir/improv/theater geek. Even attempted to go to school for theater. It was too expensive. :(

Okay. That's it until I can remember what else.

Oh, yeah. One more thing. My favorite memories include the drive from my mom to my dad's house on weekends where my dad would tell me all about the comic books he read growing up, and that is how I learned about Marvel and DC heroes. Through oral tradition. Like they used to do it!

Not sure if you knew or not, but FF7 (Best FF of em all of course IMO) got re-released for the PC and had achievements added to it, and can now run at high resolutions as well. You can buy it directly off Steam right now for $12. I've been geekin out hardcore on FF7 the past week.. ^.^
  • IzzyM210
    IzzyM210 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well I don't really know If I'm a geek or not... however,I am quite boring and somewhat of a hermit but I'm trying to change I guess.
  • beckerkra
    Options
    Well I don't really know If I'm a geek or not... however,I am quite boring and somewhat of a hermit but I'm trying to change I guess.

There are many forms of geekdom.. I'm sure we could find a few categories you'd fit under! ^.^
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm don't do anime, but I love WW and Sci Fi. I have aforementioned thick rimmed glasses, but only because I'm blind as a freaking bat. I am currently in a Master's program for Artificial Intelligence. I'm a music geek, too. My assistantship is with our student indie station. If you ever want to talk robots, Wrath of Khan, or music of any kind, please feel free to friend me.
  • MizzEngelChen
    MizzEngelChen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm geekier than any of my friends. I'm into some SciFi, fantasy, like playing video games when I have the time, totally miss RPGs (it's so difficult to find a group!). Haven't had much time lately to watch anime or ready manga when I do I enjoy it. Feel free to add, if you like =o)
  • briersting
    briersting Posts: 21
    Options
    Yeah, I don't need to steal my parent's Atari controller because I had my own. I guess that makes me an old geek :)

Right there with ya. The game cartridges that loaded in the top lol. Love anime (Escaflowne, Ouran High School Host Club, GITS), comics, video games (old and new), and Sci-fi. Welcome to the collective, and good luck on your journey. Anyone and everyone is welcome to add me! Keep Pressing Play!!!
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Definately a scifi and fantasy nerd right here. Love Star Trek first and foremost, love a kinds of space movies, I love comics, games, reading and cats :) Oh and tattoos, I have a huge Klingon symbol on my arm, among others.

Anyone can add me, I log everday and have a open diary.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My friends tell me I'm a huge geek.
    I read marvel comics and graphic novels like they're going out of fashion, love harry potter, own every episode of CSI and have watched them too many times its bordering on uncool (but I could never be that so its okay ;) ) I have a mild obsession with zombies.

I'm predominantly a gamer chick. I've own every console thats been available since I was born, I'm now a 360 gamer, play FPSers, RPGs, racing games, horror games.

My profile pic is a homage to the 'geek chic'. I was bought those glasses as a joke as my friends said I couldn't be a 'hot geek' unless I owned a pair. :P

Feel free to add me anyone :)