Healthy things to put on baked potatoes? (vegan)

Options
124»

Replies

• mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    salsa!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan. The best vegan thing I do with baked potatoes is home fries. Yum yum yum.

Chop them roughly.

Sautee onion, garlic, jalapeno in olive oil, not all the way but get them started.
    Add the potatoes and rosemary, salt and pepper, let the potatoes get golden on most of their sides.

These are great as is or you can add kalamata olives, tomato or dry tomato, anything really. Or sub chipotle for the rosemary and have them with pinto beans.

I like them with eggs and cheese but of course you wouldn't do that - DH likes them with bacon, I don't eat that. They are absolutely scrumptious without any animal products though. That crusty outside on the pieces of baked potato, yum now I want some!
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There are some great ideas on here! yay!

I am about 75 percent vegan, I still put cream in my coffee but mostly plant based.

1) bake potato
    2) Curry powder to tasted - I love curry so I use a lot
    3) Garlic powder to taste
    3) Sea salt and pepper to taste
    4) Stir fry some button mushrooms in water (no oil) and some green onions
    5) Mash your potato with your masher or your fork, throw in 2 - 4
    6) I also put yellow curry powder in my stir fry, but up to you. Toss in with mashed potatos VOILA!

I have this for breakfast using a medium sized Yukon Gold potato which I love but this will work on all potatos.

www.forksoverknives.com has a lot of free recipes as well.
  • RzRzRzR
    RzRzRzR Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My vegan favorites:
    1) Fresh strawberries sliced and sauteed in coconut oil, with freshly ground black pepper (sounds strange but delicious)
    2) A little dark sesame oil, dried onion flakes, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper
    3) Roasted garlic cloves (you can roast a head of garlic in the oven next to your potatoes)
    4) Minced sun dried tomato, minced fresh basil, and balsamic vinegar glaze reduction
    5) A good hearty mustard all by itself
    6) Pesto made from fresh basil, garlic, and pine nuts
    7) Baked beans (British favorite)
    8) Sauteed fresh onions, nutritional yeast, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    9) Horseradish or grated fresh Daikon radish
    10) Fresh sprouts and balsamic vinegar glaze reduction
    11) Grated carrots, chopped fresh onion, chopped fresh celery and Hampton Creek "Just Mayo"
    12) Fresh asparagus spears sauteed in dark sesame oil
    13) Any grilled fresh vegetable (or roasted) and nutritional yeast
    14) Gardein beefless ground
    15) Gardein mini crabless cakes
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Earth balance "buttery spread" , salt, pepper, and chopped green onions omg sooo good!

(Earth balance is 90 calories a tablespoon but it's a lot, you could use half a tbs)

The whipped butter has less calories. I use earth balance because Im cutting down on dairy. So far, so good. I personally like my baked potato with just a little earth balance, and that's it. But if you want cheese, Daiya!

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    The classic butter and sour cream is hands down my favorite.

Ill occasionally also do broccoli or cauliflower and cheese or ranch.

Not sure you understand the concept of veganism, neither of your recommendations fit the bill.

You can never go wrong with baked beans, or any kind of beans for that matter. Throw together a nice bean salad with whatever fruits and veg you fancy.

Where I live, I can purchase vegan butter, sour cream, cheese, and ranch dressing. I have also made vegan versions of all four. When veganism is assumed, I will often refer to these items without adding "vegan" beforehand.

Not sure you understand the concept of veganism, neither of your recommendations fit the bill.

You can never go wrong with baked beans, or any kind of beans for that matter. Throw together a nice bean salad with whatever fruits and veg you fancy.

Where I live, I can purchase vegan butter, sour cream, cheese, and ranch dressing. I have also made vegan versions of all four. When veganism is assumed, I will often refer to these items without adding "vegan" beforehand.

Oh I'm sorry next time I post, I'll stop and think what would @janejellyroll say.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Oh I'm sorry next time I post, I'll stop and think what would @janejellyroll say.

I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to say: I was trying to give you some insight into how (some) vegans refer to food and how it's perfectly normal for someone to suggest "butter and sour cream" as a topping for a potato in a thread about vegan toppings for baked potatoes. If my words somehow upset, bothered, or offended you in a way that provoked your snark, I apologize.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    French Onion soup mix and some sort of butter substitute. Along with salt and pepper, of course.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    French Onion soup mix and some sort of butter substitute. Along with salt and pepper, of course.

For some reason I thought onion soup mix had beef in it, but I just checked the ingredients of a popular brand and saw it was beef-free. Great tip!
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    A little dab of guacamole or salsa can do the trick.
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,993 Member
    Options
    A squeeze of lemon juice wakes up a plain baked potato add some pepper or red pepper flakes for a little zing!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like spicy things with potatoes - how about palek paneer or some other similar curried dish? I've seen recipes using tofu cubes instead of paneer and reviewers seemed to think they were a good substitute.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bubbies Sauerkraut or Pickle Relish!
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I really like to do baked sweet potatoes, and then for a topping I mix together a can of black beans, a can of rotel tomatoes, a little bit of olive oil, some cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Heat that up in the microwave and then top the whole thing with some salsa. It's so good :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

For some reason I thought onion soup mix had beef in it, but I just checked the ingredients of a popular brand and saw it was beef-free. Great tip!

damn that is a good idea
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    What about stir fried veg in satay sauce?

I would never have thought of putting that on a baked potato, but this thread has me inspired and I think it would be delicious. I don't know if bought satay sauce would be vegan, but I don't think it's hard to make.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian here, but I eat a lot of vegan food.

Definitely curry on top!

Also the fake chickpea salad that's like mock tuna salad.

Chili with either just beans or beans and soya mince.

Taco seasoned mince, guac, salsa, cheese, sour cream. I also once made nachos but couldn't find tortilla chips at the store, so I sliced boiled potatoes and used them as the base of the nachos. Delicious.

Black beans.

• ehine1
    ehine1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    +1 on the Chili. I just had a Baked Potato with Chili on it (not vegan, but it could be if you wanted it to be), and it was delicious.