Women don't bulk easily - myth?!

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've only been strength training 7 weeks and didn't expect any real results. I've noticed recently my back and shoulders are looking a lot bigger, my bf% has gone down a far bit in that time but I can't help thinking I've gained in those areas and it's putting me off a bit. Any thoughts or insight greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    That's not muscle. When people say "women don't bulk easily" they are referring to muscle gains.
  • Kdp2015
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well it's certainly not fat I've lost 10lbs and 2.5% bf in that time, I'm also lifting much heavier than when i started. What would you say it is?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Well it's certainly not fat I've lost 10lbs and 2.5% bf in that time, I'm also lifting much heavier than when u started. What would you say it is?

It still is probably fat, just in that area.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Sorry but that's a bit ridiculous, how can I lose 10lbs and be fatter than when I started?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Fluid, pump, etc
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Fluid, pump, etc

This... so many different variables. It's not muscles.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Increased water in your muscles. This doesn't even sound like noob gains since you stated you'd been lifting prior. If you are gaining size while at a calorie deficit and likely not at the protein levels needed for hypertrophy, you need to find an exercise physiologist quickly. They'll want to study you!
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sorry but that's a bit ridiculous, how can I lose 10lbs and be fatter than when I started?

Haha. It could very well be muscle. I would note that muscle is a by product of strength. So if your lifts have increased, then that my friend is muscle. Great job! And I hope you're happy about it, couldn't tell from the title.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Fluid, pump, etc

I would normally agree with this but it doesn't seem to go away, even after rest days. Admittedly it looks a lot more extreme just after the gym but I thought any sort of fluid would disappear after 2 or 3 days off?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Also when you lose fat it makes your muscles more defined so they look bigger. You probably did gain some muscle but not a large amount.

This is what I thought too, I just assumed I would not get bigger (which I don't want to) and I'm a bit nervous about continuing to push myself when I'm worried I have (got bigger that is)
  • Kdp2015
    edited July 2016
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Increased water in your muscles. This doesn't even sound like noob gains since you stated you'd been lifting prior. If you are gaining size while at a calorie deficit and likely not at the protein levels needed for hypertrophy, you need to find an exercise physiologist quickly. They'll want to study you!
    I've only been lifting 7 weeks so would def consider myself new still. I am at deficit but do eat slightly more when I work out, mainly from adding a protein shake or two.
    Eta I fully appreciate that I'm not a special snowflake!
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your back and shoulders look bigger because the rest of you is smaller by comparison? Taking a peek at your food diary, you are not consuming enough protein to be really bulking.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Well it's certainly not fat I've lost 10lbs and 2.5% bf in that time, I'm also lifting much heavier than when i started. What would you say it is?

By losing fat you are uncovering muscle that was there. By lifting again, your muscles are now becoming fuller because you are using them again. Most strength gains are a combination of you actually training again, CNS adaptations that are getting all your muscles firing right again and learning the most efficient ways to move the weights you are asking your body to move.

You can get much stronger when you first go back to the gym with these adaptations, and by strength training again.

Keep after it, don't be surprised if you hit a wall in the next 3 to 6 months where your strength starts to fall off some because of continued weight loss. That is normal and not something to get discouraged about.

Women can bulk to add muscle the same as guys, but typically not at the same rate and are also not able to get to as low a bf percentage either.

Neither of those 2 things are anything to be of any real concern. Just keep lifting weights.

I'm really enjoying strength training and I'm only planning a deficit for a little while longer (my bf is approx 20 and I'd like it to be 18) I just don't want to get bigger!!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've only been lifting 7 weeks so would def consider myself new still. I am at deficit but do eat slightly more when I work out, mainly from adding a protein shake or two.

If you're worried, stop.

I'm not sure what you want.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

If you're worried, stop.

I'm not sure what you want.

So much this.
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Strength doesn't necessarily mean muscle growth though especially if you are new

"Necessarily" meaning there are variables.. but I get your point. 7 weeks is plenty time to gain some form of "newb" gain. That was my experience.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Is it possible your back and shoulders look bigger because the rest of you is smaller by comparison? Taking a peek at your food diary, you are not consuming enough protein to be really bulking.
    Thanks, it is entirely possible that the rest of me is smaller, I just freaked out a bit as when I lift my arms my lats (I think) stick out a bit and I don't really like it. To be fair though my ribs stick out these days too