Don't count salad

Options

Replies

• ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who counts my salads less for the calories and more for the visual pat on the back of "yay I managed to eat a salad"????

Love this!!!! And yes that is part of it too =)
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I buy a salad from the Deli or Wendy's or something I log that. If it is just a bunch of random vegetables I cut up at home, I usually just throw 60 or 70 calories into my tracking and call it a day.

Fruit I usually log because it is higher in calories and natural sugars.
  • rudduckemily
    Options
    If it has even 1 calorie, I count it.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I try to count them, but my usual salads are a mix of greens from the garden (chard leaves, kale, spinach, cabbage, turnip greens, beet greens, etc). It's a bit hard to count all of them because they don't all have nutes readily available, especially not for 1 or 2 leaves. Mixed greens is usually a decent way to go.

Lettuce on its own doesn't really have much in the way of nutritional value (at least not iceberg) however others do have nutritionals you should include (especially iron which for men is important to track).
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I count EVERYTHING. I don't eat ice burg lettuce, I eat Romaine and in just 3 leaves is 10 calories, it counts.
  • in_this_generation
    in_this_generation Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I count them because I am proud when I hit my fiber goal, but the calorie count is always quite small I've noticed too (under 100 cal). Now salad dressing and toppings can make a big dent pretty quickly, but ruffage not so much.
  • JussyD89
    JussyD89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Being a vegan, I have to count a salad. Vegetables and fruits make up a majority of my diet!. I have to be finicky in a sense.
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I log it. A good sized salad, even without naughty ingredients, is easily 40 or more calories. I want to know though (although, I put cilantro and/or lemon juice on everything, and those 1-calorie items are getting annoying to log!

But frankly, I check everything I eat in the database. I don't log it if it seems to have absolutely no relevant nutritional value, like ceylon tea and some supplements. But even 1 calorie goes in the diary.

Isn't Weightwatchers more like your method?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Everything has caloric value.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Salad is a great source of clean carbs...of course I count it. It helps me hit my carb macro
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I always track everything, down to individual bites if I am able.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    No, I count salad, cukes, tomatoes, all of that, it all has calories in it. Why don't you count them. My sister-in-law is on WW and they don't count lettuce as points, but they do count the rest...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    No, I count salad, cukes, tomatoes, all of that, it all has calories in it. Why don't you count them. My sister-in-law is on WW and they don't count lettuce as points, but they do count the rest...

I think Weight Watchers uses the "salad is free" thing as a way to motivate people to eat their vegetables. When you count your calories and are on a restricted intake, there is a temptation to avoid foods, and salad is not something most people should avoid. But it's not exactly a freebie, especially because vegetables differ in their energy values and because most people do not eat salad w/o dressing.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options

I think Weight Watchers uses the "salad is free" thing as a way to motivate people to eat their vegetables. When you count your calories and are on a restricted intake, there is a temptation to avoid foods, and salad is not something most people should avoid. But it's not exactly a freebie, especially because vegetables differ in their energy values and because most people do not eat salad w/o dressing.

This is why weight watchers sucks. I have these All Whites that say 0 weight watcher points have a serving is 25 cals. So, if I were a total noob and saww oooooo 0 points then I would eat a lot not knowing that calories add up.

I say this because I have a coworker who is on Weight Watchers and we both started around the same time and she is literally still the same yet swears she works out 4 times a week. She does spinning mind you.

Anyways, enough ranting
  • jennrox78
    jennrox78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i count everything.. if i dont, i tend to get too loose and free..
    if you look @ my diary, you will see i even have logged 1 jellybean on 2 different days..
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I log everything. My salad may only have 50 calories but in a week that is 350 calories, in a month 1400 calories, in a year 18,200 which is 5.2 lbs worth of calories.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

This is why weight watchers sucks. I have these All Whites that say 0 weight watcher points have a serving is 25 cals. So, if I were a total noob and saww oooooo 0 points then I would eat a lot not knowing that calories add up.

I say this because I have a coworker who is on Weight Watchers and we both started around the same time and she is literally still the same yet swears she works out 4 times a week. She does spinning mind you.

Anyways, enough ranting

This sort of thing reminds me of that Sopranos episode where they are in a van in the Pine Barrens and all they have to eat are ketchup packets and hot sauce. Those things have calories, too, in a pinch! :)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I give myself about 50 cals for the basic green stuff like lettuce, carrots, cukes and tomatoes ( Iknow, they're not green!), but then count everything else.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I count it all. Even when I'm not making a 500 calorie salad, those vegetables have calories. They also have vitamins and fiber that I want to keep track of.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I entered a recipe using the ingredients for the basic green salad I make (mixed greens, onion, peppers, cucumber and tomatoes) and log that (about 50 calories for 2 cups) and then separately log anything I use to dress it up, like avocado and dressing. No more entering everything separately.