Don't count salad

Options

Replies

• OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I track them not so much for the calories but the nutrition reports.
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    Sometimes I don't bother with the lettuce or spring mix - but I do the dressing, peppers, tomatoes, sesame seeds - whatever. But I also stopped tracking walking the dog since it didn't seem to be exercise.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Nope! Me too. I have salads frequently as meals and it would look like I never ate if I didn't. And, I like to be proud of myself for eating all those veggies.
    That being said, I mostly just estimate in cups for salad ingrediants- and usually over estimate to be safe. But I do measure out the dressing and things like nuts and cheese if I add them.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never log the handfull of baby romaine that goes in my lunch wraps but if I'm making a salad, I track it all because all those little bits and pieces add up. That said, I always have the BIG salad. ;)
  • jhandur
    jhandur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would count the salad, not so much to keep track of the calories but to see if I'm getting enough fiber in my diet.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I entered a recipe using the ingredients for the basic green salad I make (mixed greens, onion, peppers, cucumber and tomatoes) and log that (about 50 calories for 2 cups) and then separately log anything I use to dress it up, like avocado and dressing. No more entering everything separately.

I did this exact same thing. My typical salad has various loose leaf greens from the garden, cauliflower, broccoli, tomato, onion, peppers, mushrooms, and microgreens. I made a recipe called "My typical dinner salad" which is easy to log. I also have one called "My Shoneys salad with dressing" because I eat at Shoneys often and have the exact same salad every time I'm there.

I am not a stickler for tracking veggie calories though. I know I eat way too much crap food and not enough fresh veggies. I don't want to do anything to lessen my enjoyment of eating vegetables.

I have numerous goals right now regarding changing who I am and how I do things. Weight loss and physical health is one of those goals, but the extra 10-20 minutes of logging 17 meal ingredients 3-5 times a day is time that could be better spent on one of my other higher priority goals.

Do what's right for you. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is why weight watchers sucks. I have these All Whites that say 0 weight watcher points have a serving is 25 cals. So, if I were a total noob and saww oooooo 0 points then I would eat a lot not knowing that calories add up.

If you entered them correctly into your tracker, you would find that while one serving might be 0, two servings probably has points.

WW builds extra calories into the program to cover the "free" fruits and veggies. However, I don't think it builds enough to cover the fruit calories.

I dropped three dress sizes in 12 weeks on WW not counting a single point for the free veggies (not all are 0, FYI). And I ate a huge salad every single day.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    No, I count salad, cukes, tomatoes, all of that, it all has calories in it. Why don't you count them. My sister-in-law is on WW and they don't count lettuce as points, but they do count the rest...

I think Weight Watchers uses the "salad is free" thing as a way to motivate people to eat their vegetables. When you count your calories and are on a restricted intake, there is a temptation to avoid foods, and salad is not something most people should avoid. But it's not exactly a freebie, especially because vegetables differ in their energy values and because most people do not eat salad w/o dressing.

This is why weight watchers sucks. I have these All Whites that say 0 weight watcher points have a serving is 25 cals. So, if I were a total noob and saww oooooo 0 points then I would eat a lot not knowing that calories add up.

I say this because I have a coworker who is on Weight Watchers and we both started around the same time and she is literally still the same yet swears she works out 4 times a week. She does spinning mind you.

Anyways, enough ranting

What rml_16 said; you can play the system and give yourself the points for each item individually when it turns out 'cheaper' than when you add them together, if that makes sense.

Also doing spinning she might have her exercise points set as high for an hour for instance but really it might only be high for 15 minutes and then various other speeds. Spinning is probably a 'bad' exercise for tracking calories and/or ww points.

Also most if not all fruit is free points but only one serving, if you have 3 bananas the second and third aren't free. A serving of banana might even just be a half of one for all I know so you have to really keep on top of what is 0 and what isn't.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Unless my salad consists of air and water, I count it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I give myself about 50 cals for the basic green stuff like lettuce, carrots, cukes and tomatoes ( Iknow, they're not green!), but then count everything else.

This is pretty much what I do. 50 calories for the "side salad" stuff and then I track the add-ons. When I really get going on a salad, though, it can be several hundred calories before I'm done (dressing, sliced almonds, egg, chicken, avocado, bacon, etc).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    croutons and cheese have calories
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    If I'm counting strictly, I count everything. I guess that excluding salad isn't a huge deal if you're not using salad dressing and eating only vegetables.
  • Reevsie123
    Reevsie123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I count everything but hey there are no rules if it works for you carry on
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I like my salad with chicken and bacon and shredded pepper jack and about a cup of russian dressing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread makes me realize why there are so many people "doing everything right" but the scale 'just doesn't budge." How many other things are not being counted or are being "estimated" and "eyeballed?"
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Depending what I put on my salads they can range easily 300-600. That's greens, veggies, fruits (yes fruit in my salad sometimes) meat (chicken) or eggs (hard boiled) avocado or sometimes beans (black beans, kidney beans, etc.) and of course whatever dressing I am using. I sometimes use Salsa instead.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I count fruit and vegetables, but have never counted salad ingredients, i.e. lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery. Works for me. Anyone else do the same?

Didn't realize when you combine fruit or/and vegetable with the possibility of dressing..that it somehow negates the calories and in turn makes the veggies and fruits no longer veggies and fruits.

mind. is. blown.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If I didn't track salads I would be eating at a surplus... Salads = nomnomnom
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I count fruit and vegetables, but have never counted salad ingredients, i.e. lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery. Works for me. Anyone else do the same?

Didn't realize when you combine fruit or/and vegetable with the possibility of dressing..that it somehow negates the calories and in turn makes the veggies and fruits no longer veggies and fruits.

mind. is. blown.

Rolling around gasping for air laughing!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I count everything!