Options
    I dont count green salads. I just log them. But I dont stress about them
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you count it?

I don't see the point.

You're just cheating yourself.

a small salad of lettuce and greens is how many calories ? 50 max?

But who--besides Amy Winehouse--just eats a plate of salad greens plain, with nothing else on them?

I do :) nothing wrong with it.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

I don't see the point.

But who--besides Amy Winehouse--just eats a plate of salad greens plain, with nothing else on them?

I eat salad with a steak and potato . Im not logging in lettuce
  • nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just get the premade salads and go with the calories that way.. it's easier that way, and I don't have to guess on the amounts.
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I don't see the point.

Absolutely MySweetPotato :smile:

Other peeps, let's get one thing straight here. For me, I'm talking about 4 slices of cucumber, half a tomato and a couple of lettuce leaves - NOT counted. As I don't eat all my exercises, I would say that is perfectly acceptable, so I am not cheating myself! What I have with these items ARE counted. Of course they are, otherwise I would be cheating myself.

Thank you to the people who have left a nice reply :wink:

I do :) nothing wrong with it.

Absolutely, SweetPotato :smile:

For less kind folk - let's get one thing straight - I'm talking about 4 slices of cucumber, half a tomato and a couple of lettuce leaves here. So little calories. As I don't eat all my exercises calories I don't feel that I am cheating myself. I do NOT count these few items, but anything added, IS counted! Simples :drinker:

Thank you to the people who have sent kind replies :wink:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    These bunnies don't count their salad:
    fat_fluffs_rabbits_470x312.jpg

This squirrel logs his nuts:
    rippedsquirrel.jpg

But the bunnies look happier, lol :laugh:

You're supposed to look mean when you do your muscle man pose, dontcha know!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if your original post had stated that those are the ONLY ingredients in your salads that you do not log and that you DO log your dressing and any cheese or "non-vegetables" instead of just saying "salad ingredients" (which made many of us think that included the extras), you would not have gotten so many "unkind" replies. But just saying "salad ingredients" even with mentioning the veg after it but NOT mentioning the other stuff left you wide open to everyone's interpretation of a salad, which is wildly variable of course.

Everyone filters the world through their own experience. It's human nature. Being more specific would helped.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if your original post had stated that those are the ONLY ingredients in your salads that you do not log and that you DO log your dressing and any cheese or "non-vegetables" instead of just saying "salad ingredients" (which made many of us think that included the extras), you would not have gotten so many "unkind" replies. But just saying "salad ingredients" even with mentioning the veg after it but NOT mentioning the other stuff left you wide open to everyone's interpretation of a salad, which is wildly variable of course.

Everyone filters the world through their own experience. It's human nature. Being more specific would helped.

Salad ingredients in the UK mean vegetables!
  • kathymhardy
    kathymhardy Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Oh for heaven's sake, don't be so picky. Sorry I'm not perfect! Wish I'd never asked such a simple question and caused so many people to be on the offensive! I shall think twice in the future!

I'll let you get on with your perfect lives now and I'll try and learn what specific means :noway:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Are you a lawyer or something? or just really prickly today?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    This isn't weight watchers.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    This isn't weight watchers.

No it isn't. But, instead of points, this site counts calories, stresses macros, etc... So its not any better or worse, just different.
  • blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's one reason why I count every single thing, no matter how small. I guess I just figure its part of it. If others can do it and still loose weight that's good! But honestly I have to know every item I eat, it also helps me make sure I'm getting all the stuff I need all week as well if I go back through.
  • halama626
    halama626 Posts: 16
    Options
    If I make a salad sometimes the calories end up to be around 300 if I have lettuce, tomato, onion, turkey, avocado, and dressing so yes I log my salads! I log everything because if I don't then I can run the risk of going over on my calories everyday without knowing it and then I am only cheating myself and would wonder why the weight isn't coming off....
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I log it all so I can see my macros for the week and where I need to improve
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I thought it was incredibly clear in context that she only meant the leaves and really low cal stuff that barely adds up to 50 calories.

I think people just wanted to jump on someone and intentionally misinterpreted the question so they could criticise.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I know what the OP was going for, and here's the truth:

I totally estimate my salads.

I'm lazy. So my salads usually consist of lots of lettuce, some slices of tomato when we have them fresh from our back yard (like now), and half a bell pepper. Sometimes some cucumber. Then some protein on top. I don't use dressing.

I use one of the "garden salads" already in the MFP data base and estimate for the actual raw vegetable part of the salad. Then I add accurate protein information and any other ingredient (like if I throw on sauteed mushrooms or onions or BBQ sauce that's on my chicken).

So the raw part of my salad is about 50 calories. I don't care if I'm underestimating.

If I munch on baby carrots (which I do often), I do not count them.

Granted, I generally have a high deficit (which I'm working to lower, but that's another ED issue), but still. I just don't see how someone could be destroyed by eating lots of vegetables...unless they're deep fried or smothered in dip.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I always count what I put in my salad because even cucumbers and tomatoes have calories. On top of everything else I put in my salads they can be 600 calories.

It doesn't matter if it's a fruit or vegetable there are still calories in them and they will still count towards your daily calorie intake. I never understood the thought process of "well, it's a vegetable! I don't have to count it!" Sure the baby carrots you eat are 35 calories for 3 ounces but unless you're measuring out the 3 ounces chances are good that if you're just munching the bag you're going to consume a lot more than the 35 calories.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    it may still have calories, but I honestly don't focus on them. Eating vegetables raw will not make you gain weight or throw you out of wack.