Substitutes for rice

Options
15678911»

Replies

• PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

I agree with your comment to a certain point. There are people out there (myself included) who suffer from metabolic disorders, such as polycystic ovary syndrome which causes us to be insulin resistant. I tend to do so much better when I am avoiding as many carbohydrates as possible and getting plenty of exercise. Since there is always a large amount of insulin floating around my body all of the time, any time that I eat carbs - my insulin levels spike even higher and turn everything that I eat into stored fat. It's really unfair and also the reason that just eating a 'balanced' diet is not enough to get me to my goal.

I absolutely hate the idea of the Atkins diet, because I don't feel that it's healthy (regardless of the fact that it causes extreme weight loss) so, I don't practice that way of life. I do; however, try to avoid carbs when it's possible because my body does not process those macromolecules the same way that someone without my disorder does.

I sincerely hope this helps to maybe change how you view the great carbohydrate debate!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so upset when some other people get creative with their food choices? Rice is a trigger food for me, so I stay away from it. However, if there is a rice dish that someone has figured out how to make with a substitute, why do so many people freak out when they talk about it?
    I'm sure the rice doesn't get its feelings hurt, so you don't have to feel sorry for it.
    I am a huge fan of cauliflower pizza. I make it often and has friends who request it regularly.
    I also like cauliflower just steamed, or mashed with Turnips and parsnips for some good fake potatoes. Throw some cheese on top and its even better.

Yes, cauliflower is a carb as well, but it is considerably lower in calories and higher in fiber than white rice or white flour.

because everyone gets all worked about "evil carbs" like they are the former soviet union or something...As long as you stay in your calorie/macro carb goal for day you will be fine...carbs at night, or carbs in general, or whatever are not going to make you fat...

Also, I do not understand how the cauliflower carb is somehow superior to the brown rice carb...???

I agree with your comment to a certain point. There are people out there (myself included) who suffer from metabolic disorders, such as polycystic ovary syndrome which causes us to be insulin resistant. I tend to do so much better when I am avoiding as many carbohydrates as possible and getting plenty of exercise. Since there is always a large amount of insulin floating around my body all of the time, any time that I eat carbs - my insulin levels spike even higher and turn everything that I eat into stored fat. It's really unfair and also the reason that just eating a 'balanced' diet is not enough to get me to my goal.

I absolutely hate the idea of the Atkins diet, because I don't feel that it's healthy (regardless of the fact that it causes extreme weight loss) so, I don't practice that way of life. I do; however, try to avoid carbs when it's possible because my body does not process those macromolecules the same way that someone without my disorder does.

I sincerely hope this helps to maybe change how you view the great carbohydrate debate!
    It doesn't change "the great carbohydrate debate." You have a specific medical condition, that forces you to restrict a certain food group. The vast majority of humans have no such condition. It's the equivalent stance of saying "I'm allergic to strawberries, therefore everyone else must stop eating strawberries." I know that's not the point of your post, but that's generally the kind of argument most "carbophobes" give.

Either that, or "the government lied to us when they released all these studies that says fats are bad. Carbs actually cause all those problems, according to some other studies" (also backed by the government, but hey, don't tell them that.) Don't worry, in about 20 more years we'll be having this same crazy debate on the evils of protein (my kidneys! My kidneys!) :drinker:
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options

It doesn't change "the great carbohydrate debate." You have a specific medical condition, that forces you to restrict a certain food group. The vast majority of humans have no such condition. It's the equivalent stance of saying "I'm allergic to strawberries, therefore everyone else must stop eating strawberries." I know that's not the point of your post, but that's generally the kind of argument most "carbophobes" give.

Either that, or "the government lied to us when they released all these studies that says fats are bad. Carbs actually cause all those problems, according to some other studies" (also backed by the government, but hey, don't tell them that.) Don't worry, in about 20 more years we'll be having this same crazy debate on the evils of protein (my kidneys! My kidneys!) :drinker:

You're right, the majority of people don't have be quite so restrictive of their carbohydrate intake and I wish I were one of them. Anyhow... I am not a typical "carbophobe" and it's quite possible that the OP is not either, or maybe she is - who knows? I don't even care what reason someone has for avoiding rice.

All I know is that there are many reasons that people may want to limit their intake of a particular food or macromolecule and that's not for me to judge, or simply reply with, "just don't eat it." I NEVER eat pasta, ever but I enjoy turkey meatballs every now and then (I make a killer homemade marinara sauce). Sometimes I will eat just the meatball with a salad and other times I will use spaghetti squash as a substitute, while my husband has the real thing. There is nothing ridiculous about that, right? Nope and there is nothing ridiculous about looking for a rice substitute. In my opinion, any reason to eat more vegetables and less processed, starchy foods is a smart choice, wouldn't you agree?

I absolutely agree with you, in that avoiding any macromolecule altogether is unhealthy, our biological/chemical pathways are dependent on them, but sometimes these pathways don't work the way they should and we have to make adjustments to them. The one-size-fits-all world does not exist.
  • Princessxrose
    Princessxrose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goodness so much choas over rice.

Growing up in a very traditional Asian household we have rice available at all times! At 30 years old, I started this low carb diet in Oct 2012. My first thought was.... how am I going to live without rice?!?! It's been a staple for so long?!?!

To my surprise it was quite easy... I just didn't eat it...