Unrealistic weight loss brags

Options

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Seems to me the point isn't so much whether it's possible to burn 1000 calories but whether it's likely that the people OP was referring to actually are.

Yes and no. Most people are using some sort of fitness tracking app these days that are involved in a path to a healthier lifestyle. I would assume that's were they're getting those numbers from.

Heck most people don't know how many calories they're eating much less working off. Without some sort of tracking app. I'd challenge them to post a link to said workout to validate there claims.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    Guys, I think the person posting about the 1000 calories burned by her friends knows her friends better than you do...no need to get all defensive and titchy because you've burned 1000 calories before and feel attacked.

I don't feel attacked. I'm not sure anyone here feels attacked. We are discussing a statement.

It *is* possible to discuss something, even disagree, without feeling attacked, angry or butt hurt.

Yes, that's true. Which is why I didn't use either the word "angry" or "butthurt". I used "defensive" (and titchy which I'm pretty sure is just a word my mom used with me and not a real thing but translates to uncomfortable/defensive). Because if you didn't feel like it was directed at you, there would be no need to argue what her friends burn using personal examples.

She expressed disbelief that her friends burn that amount. People jumped in trying to prove they personally burn that amount as if she ever said it was impossible, or as if they thought her disbelief extended to them (i.e. defending themselves, which is inherently defensive). It's not about you!

I didn't think it was about me or directed at me. I used myself as an example.
    The way she phrased it (and the following poster) did make it sound like it was impossible or only possible user extreme circumstances, not just in relation to her own friends, which is why I responded with my own example.

I also used the extra words because they are often used on these boards.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I ride my stationary bike sometimes 90 minutes in a day and hit 1000 calories burned..
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    As relates to the thread, I do think it's easy for people, even with an app, to overestimate calorie burns.

Sure. I've used two apps and/or devices at the same time to track something (out of curiosity) and they've given me different numbers. They can't both be right. At least one is wrong, likely both.

Most HRM systems I've used massively over-estimate bike calories.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Guys, I think the person posting about the 1000 calories burned by her friends knows her friends better than you do...no need to get all defensive and titchy because you've burned 1000 calories before and feel attacked.

People are responding in the spirit of the OP. The very first post in this thread complains about people perpetuating false ideas about weight loss and sowing confusion. And then people follow up by posting the false idea that it's impossible for anybody but an athlete to burn 1,000 calories by exercising, which sows confusion. It isn't defensiveness that's making people open up and share their experiences. We're chatting about our fitness journey.

Who posted that idea? All I saw was a woman implying her friends didn't burn 1000 calories. You're the one who is extrapolating and assuming to create the false idea.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Several of my mfp friends post 1000 calorie burns. When I do that, it's a software glitch. I don't need to call them out on it. If they are losing weight and want to do so, then that's great. I have a mostly inactive mfp friend who posted large burns and low calories for months without posting weight loss. She did admit that her body was getting tighter, in a muscly good way.