Unrealistic weight loss brags

Options

Replies

• st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    That's so weird, are they lying or are they actually somehow losing 2/3 pounds a day? I'm not sure how that's even possible
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    Guys, I think the person posting about the 1000 calories burned by her friends knows her friends better than you do...no need to get all defensive and titchy because you've burned 1000 calories before and feel attacked.

People are responding in the spirit of the OP. The very first post in this thread complains about people perpetuating false ideas about weight loss and sowing confusion. And then people follow up by posting the false idea that it's impossible for anybody but an athlete to burn 1,000 calories by exercising, which sows confusion. It isn't defensiveness that's making people open up and share their experiences. We're chatting about our fitness journey.

Who posted that idea? All I saw was a woman implying her friends didn't burn 1000 calories. You're the one who is extrapolating and assuming to create the false idea.

I suspect you missed AlloutofBubblegum's response to that poster.
    One person posted about her feed and a second person responded agree, adding the info about the athlete or very overweight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    TrailNurse wrote: »
    I have people on my MFP feed that claim that they burn 1,000 calories doing cardio. Whatever!

@TrailNurse - do you mean 1,000 calories an hour or 1,000 calories all day? Big difference in attainability.

My previous comment referred to all day. I don't have an opinion on per hour.

• BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Guys, I think the person posting about the 1000 calories burned by her friends knows her friends better than you do...no need to get all defensive and titchy because you've burned 1000 calories before and feel attacked.

People are responding in the spirit of the OP. The very first post in this thread complains about people perpetuating false ideas about weight loss and sowing confusion. And then people follow up by posting the false idea that it's impossible for anybody but an athlete to burn 1,000 calories by exercising, which sows confusion. It isn't defensiveness that's making people open up and share their experiences. We're chatting about our fitness journey.

Who posted that idea? All I saw was a woman implying her friends didn't burn 1000 calories. You're the one who is extrapolating and assuming to create the false idea.

I know you're in the middle of an online debate here but is all this back n forth typing really worth your time? Just to clarify your point to someone you probably don't care about lol. Take a breather, life's good.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options

This was what I responded to, in this very thread:
    I have people on my MFP feed that claim that they burn 1,000 calories doing cardio. Whatever!

Whatever indeed!

Or maybe you're asking about the idea that it's good for people to be truthful so everybody will have realistic expectations. I got that from:
    _sacar wrote: »
    That is sad. It's not that it bothers me when I see it, but I feel like someone should call them out, only because we need to have more realistic standards and expectations for weight loss.

Yeah, she expressed disbelief that specific people did it. Specifically, those she added as friends on this site. She didn't say people in general. You extrapolated that, assumed it applied to you, and defended your calorie burns, which amused me. That's all!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the thousand calorie burn discussion feels like a bit of a derail, tbh.

On the subject of the people claiming crazy weight loss - I'm not on Facebook, and I'll be honest, I'm a tiny bit shocked by this. I've heard of the phenomenon of people lying on fb to make themselves look good, but I didn't realise it gets as blatant as that. I'd at least block that person, possibly unfriend them, and it would affect how I perceived them irl, too. I'd lose respect for them. How can people not realise how bad it looks?

But if that were all, I would just ignore it. The upsetting part is what OP says about it confusing others and causing them to give up. The idea that weight loss should be fast and effortless has to be one of the biggest barriers to most people achieving their goals, and this sort of thing is definitely part of the problem! What's going on with it - are people getting some kind of kickback from it? The screenshot above certainly looks like the info was auto-generated by some kind of marketing tool.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can easily burn that doing 90 - 120 mins of rigorous cardio.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I agree. The OP wasn't questioning whether it's possible to burn 1000 caories, yet an offhand comment has become the focus of this thread for some reason.

I'm personally not a FB fan because of all the stuff that irritates me daily. There's a guy or two on my FB right now whose goal is to lose as much weight as fast as possible. They have to advertise their weekly weigh ins and constantly update about their diets. I don't say anything because A.) They didn't ask. B.) It isn't my business and C.) I'm likely to get the same type of responses as people do on here when they advise new members not to lose weight so fast. Stuff like: "Those people who say you shouldn't lose 5 lbs a week are just a bunch of jealous haters!", etc...no thanks. We all either learn, or we don't. In the meantime, the Unfollow option is there for a reason. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have one weight loss MLM person on my friends list who posts other people's progress pictures several times a week. I finally caught on that these were not 'clients' but pictures she was finding on Google. I didn't call her out but I did mention that I recognized one of the pictures she posted was Drew Manning (the fit to fat to fit guy).

Most of my friends don't go into details about weight loss unless they hit a big milestone or post the occasional gym selfie.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I agree. The OP wasn't questioning whether it's possible to burn 1000 caories, yet an offhand comment has become the focus of this thread for some reason.

I'm personally not a FB fan because of all the stuff that irritates me daily. There's a guy or two on my FB right now whose goal is to lose as much weight as fast as possible. They have to advertise their weekly weigh ins and constantly update about their diets. I don't say anything because A.) They didn't ask. B.) It isn't my business and C.) I'm likely to get the same type of responses as people do on here when they advise new members not to lose weight so fast. Stuff like: "Those people who say you shouldn't lose 5 lbs a week are just a bunch of jealous haters!", etc...no thanks. We all either learn, or we don't. In the meantime, the Unfollow option is there for a reason. :)

That happens a lot. It's kind of how conversations tend to flow.

Trying to control how the conversation plays out also tends to be pretty ineffective and also becomes more of a derail.
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I have one weight loss MLM person on my friends list who posts other people's progress pictures several times a week. I finally caught on that these were not 'clients' but pictures she was finding on Google. I didn't call her out but I did mention that I recognized one of the pictures she posted was Drew Manning (the fit to fat to fit guy).

Most of my friends don't go into details about weight loss unless they hit a big milestone or post the occasional gym selfie.

That's kind of hilarious. I probably would have been OMG, I love him or something like that.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

That's kind of hilarious. I probably would have been OMG, I love him or something like that. [/quote]

That's pretty much what I did. I also made sure to mention that the 'before' picture was actually his during picture since he gained the weight on purpose.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Konigboy wrote: »
    Do any of you see people on your friends list on social media, like Facebook, talking about their weekly weight loss and want to call them out?

I have a few that started the last few months and they posted their first week weight loss, one being 17 lbs another 10 lbs....

Must be selling wraps or juice/smoothies. They all are losing tons of weight and it all works amazing...'cept the people selling it mostly stay overweight too. Hmmmm..

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I keep seeing these and dying to comment! Absolute nonsense LOL

OMG you have waaaay more restraint than I do! Is that farcical? Metabolic age of a 12 year old? Do people believe this stuff?

Yeah, I would be losing friends left and right. I'm glad the worst thing I see is the occasional cabbage soup diet posts (and oddly enough <snark> I never see updates about how much water they regained after their liquid starvation diet is over... Hmmm.. Wonder why that is...)