Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sara - I have gotten the Balanced Breaks, before...I really enjoy them...the store I shop at, does not carry them... so, I have to go to Wal Mart, to get them... which I truly try to avoid...I have found PB3 at Dollar General... no calcium... but, 3 different proteins...

Hope your eyes are back to normal, tomorrow... I've never had mine dilated, but I hear it's no fun...
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first time commenter here... I started again 4 days ago and the first 2 days went well. Yesterday though not so much. There was a surprise party for my birthday at the office (no complaints!) and we went to dinner. Back to the new normal today. But it isn't. The first time I was so excited, especially when it worked. The next couple of times less. Now I just expect it to work if I stick to it, but all the magic has gone - but that was the thing that kept me going. How can I make "making healthy choices" a proper habit for life? Have you managed yet? How?
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,351 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY

Good morning,

Welcome buxbert - short answer for me is I remember how bad I felt at my highest weight and how many meds I had to take.....

Did a little research last night and found my eye condition is "common" and probably due to age. I just happened to get the info very quickly with the call us immediately if.... so it is one day at a time and the process lasts 6 months and I am 4-6 weeks in.

Subject of Powerball came up last night on the drive home. Not usually a gambler, but might change my mind.

Wave to all who follow, will lurk from work.
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all! A quick wave to everyone during my morning bus ride.

Welcome, buxbert! You are among good company here - we all start, fall off the wagon, start again. It's a lifelong process, and I've learned that it's not linear, especially for women. If you've been lurking for awhile, you've probably been reading our posts on the topic. If not, take a few minutes to go back a few days and read through - Dawn (arniedog74) kindly shared her frustrations which sparked a lot of good sharing of techniques (as well as helped some of us who were frustrated with the scale moving ones the wrong direction feel less alone!).

A couple of weeks ago, I posted my approach in response to a similar post to yours. I'll repost it here in case it helps you as well. Best, Tess

First, good for you for starting again (or, as I like to think of it, "continuing the journey to health.") I restarted/continued at the beginning of this year and found this particular group of amazing folks helpful for keeping on track. Here's what's worked for me so far, in case it would be helpful to you:

* track everything, every day. Even if it's a "bad" food or exercise day. It helps me see the patterns in what I eat and how certain exercises affect the scale

* I only weigh in once a week, usually Sunday mornings. Whatever the scale says it is, that's what I write down. Sometimes, it's discouraging, like a couple of weeks ago when I had exercised hard during the week and the dang scale hadn't moved an ounce. In that case, it was helpful to review what I ate during the week to see if I could tweak anything. Then I came on this forum to read about other people's lives to get out of my own head.

* Realized that exercise won't solve everything. If I did a ton of exercise but then ate away those points, the scale still wasn't going to move.

* Slow and steady. Targeted 1 pound per week and that's about where my average has been. Lost a lot the first month (11 pounds) but it slowed down right after that to the 1 pound/week average. It adds up and I find myself now wondering how it happened "so quickly" when it wasn't quick at all!

* Portion control. Looking back, I realize I haven't eliminated anything from my diet; just now eat less of it. I love ice cream - I still eat it but now it's 1/2 cup instead of 1+ cup. I have also found that there are foods I don't feel like eating.

* Think about what my body issues are. As I lose weight, people are noticing and commenting. What does that kick up for me?

* Surrounding myself with positive images of people of all sizes, ethnicities doing things in the great outdoors, since nature soothes me. My Instagram is filled with images from #UnlikelyHikers, #OutdoorJournalTour, #NatGeo and others (including cats, because I like cats). Instagram has become the positive place I go to when I'm feeling low.

I don't mean to make it sound easy. It's not - it's been damn hard at times and will be. I just try to forgive myself and move on, keeping an eye on the bigger prize.

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Tess, thank you - Isnt cut and paste wonderful?

Who here was talking about having floaters?

Short dog walk so a little internet before work.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,891 Member
    Options

Hey Everybody~~

*tossing hat and bag onto my favorite lounge chair for later*

BBL to read all the new posts.

Lana
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Ahhh.... Jeep packed and rolling to the resort. Talked DH into leisurely scenic route instead of his usual "GPS arrival time is just a challenge" way of driving. We'll see if he can do that or not.

Went way overboard on dinner out last night. Back on track this morning. Still making sure to track everything, good or bad.

Weather is gorgeous - sunshine & no humidity. Looking forward to relaxation and fun!!

*waves to everyone who drops in*
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    Ok so my friends and I have decided to workout together everyday with the exception of Sundays. So much pain, but like they say, "no pain no gain." I have, however, been over my calories the past few day, but only by a few. Any workouts my friends and I should try?

It is so wonderful to have people to work out with! I have never had anyone to help me get my workouts in; I wish I had. The buddy system is good!
  • arniedog74
    Options
    hickchic67 wrote: »
    Ahhh.... Jeep packed and rolling to the resort. Talked DH into leisurely scenic route instead of his usual "GPS arrival time is just a challenge" way of driving. We'll see if he can do that or not.

Went way overboard on dinner out last night. Back on track this morning. Still making sure to track everything, good or bad.

Weather is gorgeous - sunshine & no humidity. Looking forward to relaxation and fun!!

Enjoy your trip! You definitely need to get away! Have fun! Post when you can!
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Lana- same here with workout buddies...I've had a few, but they always flake out after a short time...I continued going, because I paid (if I pay, I'm doin it) but, it's a real struggle when I'm alone... more fun and encouraging with a buddy...
  • tlsb2016
    Options
    hickchic67 wrote: »

Have a great time, Kathryn! I laughed at your description of DH's "point A to point B approach to vacation travel. My Dad was the same way-- we would zoom by interesting places with a vague promise to "go back some day"! Enjoy your break.
  • tlsb2016
    Options
    After watching colleagues take well-deserved time off for the past several weeks, I am finally on vacation until after Labor Day! Thought it would never get here...It will be a staycation for us but we've planned day trips as well, to get away from our immediate surroundings for a bit. We're fortunate that our area has a lot of interesting places within a reasonable drive.

And maybe I'll be able to swing by Lana's palm tree for some liquid refreshment and C-boy pampering! Lana, is there room?

Tess
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Took part of lunch home for dinner. Small but good changes.

Year eval ended with a reminder to limit my chatting- fair enough. Will just have to be careful. Lady at work has an adorable 2 year old girl I offered to help her make a blanket, seems the coworker has to have surgery again and is worried about the work she is leaving behind - I told her that this stuff never goes away and she has little girl to think of.....

Trips as a child involved my mother assuming my father knew where we were going, not help with maps and then get mad at him when we got lost. Laughing in the back seat probably did not help.... but it was just too funny.

Netflix dvd in mail, so will watch, cant knit and watch but oh well.

Wishing all a good night.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    FRIDAY

Good morning, TGIF. Was speaking with ladies who have 4 day weeks and was convinced it was Friday. Luckily someone reminded me it was Thursday yesterday before I slept in today. Easy to lose track of time.

Salad at cafe today, tried the chicken burrito bowl at work - inside of burrito (no refried beans) without tortilla. Not bad and a nice change.

Will lurk from work, wave to all who follow. TGIF - just had to!!
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Good morning Sara~~

This is a quick check in, as I have to get away from this computer to not waste my day away......

BBL

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    Options
    tlsb2016 wrote: »
    After watching colleagues take well-deserved time off for the past several weeks, I am finally on vacation until after Labor Day! Thought it would never get here...It will be a staycation for us but we've planned day trips as well, to get away from our immediate surroundings for a bit. We're fortunate that our area has a lot of interesting places within a reasonable drive.

And maybe I'll be able to swing by Lana's palm tree for some liquid refreshment and C-boy pampering! Lana, is there room?

Tess

Tess - there is always plenty of room for all of us!!

Enjoy your vacation~~

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    good evening,

after dinner nap snuck up on me. glad I could. will see if I can watch some youtube and call it good.

on to do list tomorrow is to check out a nearby consignment shop - see what I might find.

wishing all a good night.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    SATURDAY

Good morning,

Supposed to be HOT today, so I am hoping to get my errands done before it starts baking in the afternoon.

Havent even made a grocery list, so food planning is at "0" right now.

Back to sleep in a bit. BBL.
  • LanaCabana537
    Options

Happy Saturday Everyone~~

I just had "breakfast" for lunch. Eggs with sautéed three-color peppers and onions on the side. Olive oil and a pat of butter used, plus cup of milk. I skipped the usual cheese in the eggs and toast with stuff on it, and I did fine without it.

Sara - send me some of your heat. It is low temps here in NC for August. Happy grocery shopping~~

I'm going to put on that bathing suit and go work out in the pool, then maybe some abstract oil painting....

What is everyone doing today?

Lana

243.8 today
    250.0 highest
    185.0 goal
  • tlsb2016
    Options
    Hi Sara, Lana and everyone else -- Happy Saturday.

Lana, your lunch sounds delicious! My pantry is a bit low but scrapped together rye toast with hummus and fresh tomato from our garden. Unexpectedly tasty and good on calories and macros. Hope you are enjoying being back in NC.

A morning of errands. Now trying to figure out what I want to do. Nap? Needlework? A little of both? A walk/the gym also on the agenda.

Sara, as with Lana, we are experiencing some cool weather so we will have to send some cooler temps your way. Hope the heat breaks soon.

BBL

Tess