How do you react when someone offers you food you want but "shouldn't" have?

Options
124»

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Edit: not even worth it to call people out. Carry on.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If its something I don't like, I just say no thanks and be done with it. If they're really pushy, I'll say no and be done with it.

For what it's worth, I really like raw carrots. Thanks to my TMJ flareups, this is something I shouldn't have. My jaw ends up hurting for hours if I eat it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    aside from food allergies, there are no foods i 'SHOULDNT' eat.

i eat what i want. i had a hot fudge brownie sundae the other day for dinner.

it was goooooood.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I certainly dont feel guilty about turning down food. If I say no, and someone still presses me about it, that makes me believe that the person thinks I am an idiot who isnt able to trust their own decisions and that I dont know what is or is not appropriate for me to eat, or that they are simply being insensitive to MY needs. No guilt on my part generated in either situation. I will confess that once when someone was really being insistent after I had declined a few times, I finally took the food out of their hands and immediately went to a trash bin and threw it out. In front of them. And then said "Happy?" Not my finest moment, but there it is.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Question 1: How do you react when someone offers you food you want but "shouldn't" have?
    Answer: There aren't any foods I shouldn't have. There may be foods I don't have room for and/or also don't want and for that I do a simple no, thanks.

Question2: Do you feel like they're sabotaging your diet?
    Answer: Nope, the only real person that can sabotage my diet is me. I have control with what I put in my mouth. Saying no is always an option.

Question 3: Do you say no and feel guilty?
    Answer: Not at all. Why feel guilty? If I say no, it's for a reason. There isn't anything to feel guilty about.

Question 4: Do you say YES and feel guilty?
    Answer: Nope, similar to the above answer, if I say yes it's because I want it or have room for it or both. There is no reason to feel guilty about anything because I made the choice and I made it for a reason.
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If it is just simple junk food, a polite "no thanks" or "I'm not hungry" is fine.

If it is something that someone put a lot of effort into making, I tell them that I would love to try a bite, but that I am already too full to have any more than that. Then compliment the food and thank them.

If it is a gift (a neighbor baked you cookies for watching their dog or grandma's christmas fruitcake), graciously accept the gift, and then bring it to work/school/family gathering and share it with others. No hurt feelings, plus the food is appreciated by someone, if not you.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I usually have it haha I'll just work harder at the gym
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Typically these days I end up eating it and just rearranging my day/week to account for the extra calories.
  • Susanna5838
    Susanna5838 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually tell them no thank you.
    Some I explain why. But, this has gone on for sometime because My body rejects food on a whim sometimes. So, I explain that I just can't eat certain foods because it makes me sick.
    Most people understand it that way.
    Others will try to make you feel bad for not eating what they bought. ( I have one old man whom trys to because he buys donuts, pastries, etc.) But, it helps if they are not freshly made or if something doesn't taste right.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Ask them politely if they have full fat mayonnaise
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ... 9times out of 10 this be me...

7rk679rjd2hd.jpg
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    maddogg82 wrote: »
    ... 9times out of 10 this be me...

7rk679rjd2hd.jpg

That's my girl lol
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there's no such thing as a bad food, just bad diets.

If your diet is pretty good, most of the time, and your general trend is the direction you want, then no individual food or choice will have notable consequences. My personal anecdotal "proof" of this is that I've successfully lost weight but consumed cake, ice cream, pizza, burgers, etc. all along the way; I just don't eat them all the time.

To answer your question, I often accept the food that's offered to me because I'm pretty good at staying within my dietary boundaries for the most part. Other times, like today, I passed on a doughnut because it didn't look quite good enough to justify the extra calories. It was just some regular ol' glazed whatever. For a Boston Creme though, say from Dunkin Donuts, I pretty much always feel it's worth the calories (unless the punk employee puts it upside down in the bag and I lose a lot of the chocolate icing that sticks to the paper).

What were we talking about? Oh right, I generally accept if I've been "good" lately (sticking to my diet) and decline if I've already deviated a good bit lately. That kind of approach can take you very far, as it's balanced and works for the long term.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If I want it I will eat a reasonable amount. If it is not worth ruining my diet then I won't.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I can decline it from a person. It's harder for me as a closet eater to decline cookies in the breakroom. Yesterday I got one. I ate one bite and threw the rest into the trash. It was a victory.