What is your take on Ketosis

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    @nvmomketo I would argue that carbs are an issue for 1/2 the population, especially consider that 33% of that is based on estimates, which was also largely increased through the US changed in parameters. Many of those prediabetics would come out of that range simply by making smarter carb choices (less ultra processed foods) and increase exercise.

That half of the population with IR includes T2D, prediabetes, PCOS, NAFLAD and may with Alzheimer's. Roughly half of all people will have some sort of issue with IR in their lives.

I don't believe that IR issues are ever truly gone even if they are being successfully treated. If I eat keto my blood glucose numbers are fine. As soon as I stop, even just eating LCHF instead ofe very LCHF, my numbers are prediabetic again.

Once treatment is stopped, treatment being dietary choices, then the disease comes right back. Today I am not prediabetic, but if I ate a bagel or regular soda, my BG would once again be high.

I do agree that ultraprocessed foods and lack of activity can be a huge part of the problem for many with IR.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but I'm 100% against a keto diet for me. It's way too restrictive for me to be successful with it. I also have vegetarian leanings (although I do eat meat, just not as much as most people). It would be so hard to low carb with my preferred amounts of fruits and veggies.

I also might be predisposed to think it's silly...When I first encountered Keto it was about 9 years ago. Two fairly skinny women at my work were doing it to drop a couple of vanity pounds. I found them in the bathroom with these little sticks...now one was definitely too old to be taking a pregnancy test in the bathroom so I asked what they were doing. The told me about this fabulous new diet that made your body burn its fat stores and they were peeing on the sticks because it could tell them if they were "in ketosis." Now, I'm sure most people in ketosis probably don't do that (I hope), but I still laugh when I think about that.
  • Loves2snack
    Loves2snack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why the super low carb craze is making its way ba ck, bit I don't like it!
    First off, let me say I was an avid Atkins diet follower for a couple of years. I have always been obese but, doing low carb just made it worse. I lost about 90 pounds in 7 months. I went from almost 300 to about 215-220. If you have any issue with binge eating, RUN! When you lower your carbs like this and have super bad craving for sugar and bread its going to run your life. Then when you go to eat it you will eat ALL OF IT and some AND THEN it will go on and on and next thing you know you gained all your weight back plus some...
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but I'm 100% against a keto diet for me. It's way too restrictive for me to be successful with it. I also have vegetarian leanings (although I do eat meat, just not as much as most people). It would be so hard to low carb with my preferred amounts of fruits and veggies.

I also might be predisposed to think it's silly...When I first encountered Keto it was about 9 years ago. Two fairly skinny women at my work were doing it to drop a couple of vanity pounds. I found them in the bathroom with these little sticks...now one was definitely too old to be taking a pregnancy test in the bathroom so I asked what they were doing. The told me about this fabulous new diet that made your body burn its fat stores and they were peeing on the sticks because it could tell them if they were "in ketosis." Now, I'm sure most people in ketosis probably don't do that (I hope), but I still laugh when I think about that.

I think limiting meat, eggs, and dairy is too restrictive ;).

I've never tried for ketosis (tho I'm sure I've spent some time there, pretty much everybody enters a mild state of ketosis while they are sleeping... if you didn't you wouldn't wake up in the morning), but I do eat LCHF. I've never tested for ketones in my urine (at least not outside prenatal visits), but yeah, I can't imagine doing that at work! Why didn't they test in the morning, at home? That is silly.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    I'm not sure why the super low carb craze is making its way ba ck, bit I don't like it!
    First off, let me say I was an avid Atkins diet follower for a couple of years. I have always been obese but, doing low carb just made it worse. I lost about 90 pounds in 7 months. I went from almost 300 to about 215-220. If you have any issue with binge eating, RUN! When you lower your carbs like this and have super bad craving for sugar and bread its going to run your life. Then when you go to eat it you will eat ALL OF IT and some AND THEN it will go on and on and next thing you know you gained all your weight back plus some...

You lost 90 lbs on Atkins, went off it and back to your old habits and regained the weight.... How is that Atkins' fault? Seems Atkins helped you lose 90 lbs (awesome!). Then you stopped doing it and regained. As with any diet, if you stop doing what you did to lose the weight, and go back to old bad habits, you WILL regain. That's why long term success rates are pretty bad, regardless of method.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My husband doesn't like the idea because your body does need carbs in order to function properly and I'm on the fence with it.

What is your take on the Ketosis diet? Have you tried it and if so what were/are your results? What did you do, based on diet, to have the desired carb amount yet still be able to eat well?

Your body doesn't need carbs at all. Your essential carbohydrate needs are zero, unlike protein and fat which are essential nutrients. Your body can make the small amount of glucose you need without any difficulty.

I've been doing ketosis for the last 14 months or so. My macros are something around 5% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat. It is a high fat diet with moderate protein. Some people have success doing it with high protein but they tend to be a minority.

My take? It has been life changing for me. Both my health and happiness have improved. With such a positive quality of life change, I can't ever imagine going back to a higher carb, or even moderate carb, diet.

The most obvious change was the drop in appetite and carb/sugar cravings. Those are almost gone. I had reactive hypoglycemia before changing my diet so I was shaking and light headed if I did not eat at least every two hours. Now? I can skip eating for a day if I want and my blood glucose stays steady. No shakes or weakness. I'm not reliant on carbs for fuel so it really frees me up from having to manage that.

I also became prediabetic a couple of years ago. I was not obese and weight loss does not help me manage my insulin resistance. I lost 20% of my body weight and am in the middle of a normal BMI now but I need to eat LCHF in order to avoid BG fluctuations.

Other benefits included better hair and skin, fewer autoimmune issues, fewer headaches and better cognition. That last one was a shocker but after about a month or so of ketosis my thinking became noticably clearer. I was only 41 so I wasn't expecting that one. Bowel movements are also easier and smaller, I have less gas, and my breath has actually improved - a bit fruity even. Bad breath is really not a common side effect of ketosis, although it is less rare in those folks who are doing it with higher protein.

My only downside is the food restrictions. You have to think a bit more about the foods you will be eating and sometimes plan ahead. That one was not a big one for me since I have celiac disease and can't safely have many other people cook for me anyways. I really do enjoy LCHF foods though so it hasn't been a hardship at all. Cheese, meats,veggies, nuts, and coconut are my staples. All yummy.

Sweets and baked goods aren't worth the negative effects on my well being.

so not true...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705?pg=2
    http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Carbohydrates_UCM_461832_Article.jsp#.V49yGfkrLRY

and for those with diabetes
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/diabetes/diabetes_education/patient_education_material/no_more_carb_confusion.pdf

It is true in theory. Undeniably, it is healthier to include low carb veggies and fiber rich fruits for vitamins, enzymes, phytonutrients, etc for nutritional balance.

But technically your body can convert protein to produce glucose for fuel. And it can use fat for fuel which is why it banks fat for times where food can't be found. Part of the problem is that we have readily available food provided all of the time.

Protein breaks down to gylcogen not glucose.

and Glucose is a more efficient brain fuel.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20081212/no-carb-diets-may-impair-memory?page=1
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    erider0505 wrote: »
    Your body needs healthy fats (coconut oils, grassfed butters, etc) Carbs turn into sugar in the body if not used up.
    All carbs turn in to sugar in the body whether you use them or not.
    In order to burn fat you need to eat fat and lower your carb intake.
    Incorrect. You burn fat EXCLUSIVE at rest regardless if you're in surplus or not.
    You won't be hungry or feel deprived at all. I follow a high fat/low carb diet and test my Ketones every morning. Follow the 80% Fat, 15% Protein and 5% Carb rule. I've never felt better.
    That may work for you, but I feel great when I can eat sugar laden ice cream if it fits into my calorie budget.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I had the opposite experience, my super bad cravings disappeared when i did low carb, it was a freeing feeling and one huge struggle i didn't have to deal with anymore! When i went back to moderate carbs i gained a couple of pounds of water weight which i lost again within 2 weeks. Of course if i went back to eating whatever and how much i wanted i would have regained the weight, but i continued to weigh my food and log it here and continued to lose, albeit slower and with a higher appetite and returned cravings, but there is no way, no how i'm going to regain all the weight i lost and have to go through this whole dieting crap again!!

The bottom line is, this woe suits some people perfectly and others not so much. Weight loss is a lot of trial and error.

• tlflag1620
    Options

I had the opposite experience, my super bad cravings disappeared when i did low carb, it was a freeing feeling and one huge struggle i didn't have to deal with anymore! When i went back to moderate carbs i gained a couple of pounds of water weight which i lost again within 2 weeks. Of course if i went back to eating whatever and how much i wanted i would have regained the weight, but i continued to weigh my food and log it here and continued to lose, albeit slower and with a higher appetite and returned cravings, but there is no way, no how i'm going to regain all the weight i lost and have to go through this whole dieting crap again!!

The bottom line is, this woe suits some people perfectly and others not so much. Weight loss is a lot of trial and error.

That has been my experience as well. I was much more prone to binging behavior when I ate a standard, higher carb diet. It is liberating to be able to eat like a normal person! Without the endless hunger and cravings I can trust myself around food. I've dabbled with keto level carb intake, but much prefer the variety and flexibility a moderate carb approach (50-80 g per day) gives me, and at either level I am freed from the nagging hunger and cravings. If I go above 100 g the hunger comes rushing back. No thanks!

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I thought that glucose can be formed from protein?

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't doubt that some people had real problems doing keto. That just means it's a way that didn't work for them personally, not that no one should ever do it. Low fat and high carb ended badly for me. That just means it's a way that didn't work for me, not that no one should ever do it.

One person's response =/= the response of everyone in the whole world.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Protein can be convertes to glucose through glucenogenesis.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Right. I've been looking at literature about keto and have been learning that I've probably been eating too much protein and not enough fat. Too much protein can keep some individuals from going into ketosis, interestingly.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Personally, it seems low carb is working quite well for me. I do bounce a little between 30-50g total carbs but they are from veg and dairy mostly.

I get a lot of people think "I'll miss my bread!", and I did too. But I can honestly say that, in MY experience, you stop craving them. I LOVE candy and chocolate (my doctor once told me to live off chocolate for a week and I'll never crave it again - he was wrong, 1 week turned into 3), but I just do not miss them on this WOE. There is no " willpower" involved because I Just. Don't. Want. Them.

And, if I do want some, there are many keto adapted recipes for all those things. Breads, cakes, candies, you name it and it's out there.

In regards to the bad breath, it only lasted a week for me and then it vanished.

In regards to the foggy brain thing, the exact opposite happened to me and through the day I am super alert. Same effect an experiment with IF had on me tbh.

As a lifelong change, if this is what it's like, then I believe I will have no problem sticking to it long term, even though I'm healthy and don't have diabetes or another condition. I mean, I'm just doing this to try and not starve while losing weight. And so far it's working so well I might just do it forever!

Bottomline - experiment and see what works better for you. Yes some people thrive on carbs and feel full on them, others feel more full on lots of protein. The best plan is the one you can stick with consistently. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Right. I've been looking at literature about keto and have been learning that I've probably been eating too much protein and not enough fat. Too much protein can keep some individuals from going into ketosis, interestingly.

Correct. And individual mileage will vary at what point that is. But just make sure that your diet is reflective any special dietary needs and your goals.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I started LCHF in January and have lost 80 pounds without exercise. I am not hungry, dont have cravings, didnt have any side effects. This past week (6 months into it) I lost over 2.5 pounds and still averaging over 3 pounds a week. I try to stay below 20 grams but dont always do it. I convinced my son to try it and he is down over 15 pounds in under 3 weeks. Try it and see thats the only way to find out for yourself. Also check out dietdoctor.com lots of reading and info there
  • Nicole_Trippler
    Nicole_Trippler Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    So, I've no idea if someone's given a medical insight on this discussion already since I didn't read everything, so please excuse it if I repeat something. I'm studying veterinary medicine and KETOSIS is considered a SICKNESS that needs CURE.

That itself should tell you guys that it's something you shouldn't try to achieve. I'm not fluent in medical terms since I'm from Germany, but basically, Ketosis means that your fat gets broken down into acidic molecules which are transported through your blood stream (lowering your blood pH!!!).

Lowering your blood pH is not a good thing to do. (Read up on the effects if you're interested.)

IMPORTANT: eating vegetables to supply your body with carbons does NOT work. There are different types of carbons and you're neither a horse nor a cow so you cannot and under no circumstances use the carbons from vegetables (e.g. salat, of course some vegetables contain carbons you can digest but that's not the main part). (fruits are different because they contain a lot of sugar)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    I started LCHF in January and have lost 80 pounds without exercise. I am not hungry, dont have cravings, didnt have any side effects. This past week (6 months into it) I lost over 2.5 pounds and still averaging over 3 pounds a week. I try to stay below 20 grams but dont always do it. I convinced my son to try it and he is down over 15 pounds in under 3 weeks. Try it and see thats the only way to find out for yourself. Also check out dietdoctor.com lots of reading and info there

Yeah that's either water weight or irresponsible and unhealthy.
  • billglitch
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »

Yeah that's either water weight or irresponsible and unhealthy.
    yeah ok, because you said so right?

• billglitch
    Options
    So, I've no idea if someone's given a medical insight on this discussion already since I didn't read everything, so please excuse it if I repeat something. I'm studying veterinary medicine and KETOSIS is considered a SICKNESS that needs CURE.

That itself should tell you guys that it's something you shouldn't try to achieve. I'm not fluent in medical terms since I'm from Germany, but basically, Ketosis means that your fat gets broken down into acidic molecules which are transported through your blood stream (lowering your blood pH!!!).

Lowering your blood pH is not a good thing to do. (Read up on the effects if you're interested.)

IMPORTANT: eating vegetables to supply your body with carbons does NOT work. There are different types of carbons and you're neither a horse nor a cow so you cannot and under no circumstances use the carbons from vegetables (e.g. salat, of course some vegetables contain carbons you can digest but that's not the main part). (fruits are different because they contain a lot of sugar)

I believe that it can be a symptom of sickness, not a sickness in itself. But since you are doing it deliberately with LCHF I do not believe you are correct.