Options
12346»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    I started LCHF in January and have lost 80 pounds without exercise. I am not hungry, dont have cravings, didnt have any side effects. This past week (6 months into it) I lost over 2.5 pounds and still averaging over 3 pounds a week. I try to stay below 20 grams but dont always do it. I convinced my son to try it and he is down over 15 pounds in under 3 weeks. Try it and see thats the only way to find out for yourself. Also check out dietdoctor.com lots of reading and info there

Yeah that's either water weight or irresponsible and unhealthy.
    yeah ok, because you said so right?

No because 15 pounds in 3 weeks = 5 pounds in one week = 2500 calories deficit every single day which either means fasting completely or doing amounts of exercise that he was not fuelling.

Is that clear enough?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I started LCHF in January and have lost 80 pounds without exercise. I am not hungry, dont have cravings, didnt have any side effects. This past week (6 months into it) I lost over 2.5 pounds and still averaging over 3 pounds a week. I try to stay below 20 grams but dont always do it. I convinced my son to try it and he is down over 15 pounds in under 3 weeks. Try it and see thats the only way to find out for yourself. Also check out dietdoctor.com lots of reading and info there

No because 15 pounds in 3 weeks = 5 pounds in one week = 2500 calories deficit every single day which either means fasting completely or doing amounts of exercise that he was not fuelling.

Is that clear enough?

That depends upon how overweight the individual is to start. A coworker of mine was a bit shy of 400 lbs., and had that amount flying off for a few weeks, just by forcing himself back to 2400 kcal per day. Bear in mind, dude's also 4'10".
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Is that clear enough?

I'm certain a lot of it was water weight. Depending on how big he was to start with, feasibly 10+ lbs of it was water. I lost six lbs in the first two weeks of LC. I didn't have much weight to lose so I knew a good 4lbs, maybe 5lbs of that was water. I'm female, so I have less muscle mass which means less glycogen which means less water weight. But an obese man could easily drop 10-15 lbs of water in the first week or two, then lose fat at a more reasonable rate. It is important to remember that those huge initial drops are mostly water, and won't continue (a lot of people starting low carb get discouraged come week 3 or 4 when weight loss settles into that slow, steady 1-2 lbs per week, but they shouldn't). But many people find that big initial drop encouraging and motivating, even when they know it's mostly water.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    So, I've no idea if someone's given a medical insight on this discussion already since I didn't read everything, so please excuse it if I repeat something. I'm studying veterinary medicine and KETOSIS is considered a SICKNESS that needs CURE.

That itself should tell you guys that it's something you shouldn't try to achieve. I'm not fluent in medical terms since I'm from Germany, but basically, Ketosis means that your fat gets broken down into acidic molecules which are transported through your blood stream (lowering your blood pH!!!).

Lowering your blood pH is not a good thing to do. (Read up on the effects if you're interested.)

IMPORTANT: eating vegetables to supply your body with carbons does NOT work. There are different types of carbons and you're neither a horse nor a cow so you cannot and under no circumstances use the carbons from vegetables (e.g. salat, of course some vegetables contain carbons you can digest but that's not the main part). (fruits are different because they contain a lot of sugar)

Ketoacidosis is a sickness that needs a cure. It happens in type one diabetics and insulin dependent type two diabetics (and can occur in alcoholics or during starvation). For normal, healthy people who are consuming enough calories nutritional ketosis is perfectly safe. We all enter a state of ketosis any time we go more than 24 hours without food, and even at night while we sleep we enter a mild state of ketosis. If we didn't we would die.

• McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I used it pre comp for cutting up (12-16 weeks) only. And every person I've met who's doing keto has bad breath. IMO, great for short term loss, has been shown NOT to help build significant muscle mass while on that diet only, and with such strong restrictions on carbs, I'd never enjoy myself at family parties. Some things are way more important than some vanity pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You're right about that. My breath is absolutely horrible today! :p
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Is that clear enough?

That depends upon how overweight the individual is to start. A coworker of mine was a bit shy of 400 lbs., and had that amount flying off for a few weeks, just by forcing himself back to 2400 kcal per day. Bear in mind, dude's also 4'10".

I keep forgetting we're living in a world where this is not a joke.