NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• HappyBride917
    HappyBride917 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wanted to ask here, since I've found this board so helpful! I want to make sure I understand MFP correctly. They've put me at a deficit of eating calories to lose weight. So if I eat 1,300 calories a day, I should drop a pound a week. However, if I exercise or do a lot of walking, there is an adjustment to my calories because of what I burned. If I choose to not eat those back, then I am at an even bigger deficit for the day. If I choose to eat them back, then I will be at my 1,300 calories that MFP has recommended and I should still lose my 1 lb a week.

Do I have this right? Thanks!
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Short post tonight. My youngest germ vector gave hubby and me her cold. It hit last night and I feel like *&$%. Went to the Cities and picked up oldest girl from the airport, home from her trip. She gets the keys to her new apartment tomorrow after work and we will start moving her tomorrow night and hopefully finish Wed. afternoon. Hubby is on the road and it is finals week for the younger girls. I just have to keep standing until Thur. then I can curl up. Needless to say, exercise didn't happen today. I did weigh myself this morning up 1.6 pounds. It is what it is. This is a new week. At this point I will take it a day at a time and do the best I can.

I hope everyone is doing o.k. and had a decent Monday. <3

January Goals
    1 January 2017 239 CW 238
    1. Log all food 22 out of 31 days Under calories 13 of 31 days Over calories 9 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    2. Exercise 25 hours (1500 minutes) this month 1005 minutes
    3. Managing stress 16 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    trooworld Yaaay on no more cold. I'm glad you have found a program that works for you. Consistency is the key.

cbabie Tips and goals seem to be the phrase of the day. What if we were to pick one day a week and make that our "meeting" day. Instead of personals that day, everyone posts some tips or some success stories. We also make it weigh in day. People can choose to say how much they lost or gained or just say I lost or I gained. Personal accountability is so important in this journey too. We would be aware of those that need more support and could offer strategies or whatever they need.

Happybride I think that's the way the exercise calories work. I had mine turned off for a while and didn't really pay attention. I just turned them back on last week.

mysticlizard Sorry about your cold. Despite everything we try to avoid catching one this time of year it still seems to be everywhere. Dh started sneezing again tonight and I said oh no we aren't starting another round. Hopefully Thursday will come soon for you.

rickweinberg I think any plan works too if you work the plan. Its hard to admit struggling for some people. We like to say everything's fine even though the house may be burning down around us. I think society teaches us not to admit weakness. I'm struggling with exercise again. I have been having problem with my hip and I hurt it again and so didn't walk. Tonight I just didn't feel like it and no amount of mind games or self talk got me to do it. I know how good it feels when I do it. So I'm admitting that. I did do well however on sweets. I had a friend over today and usually I bake something. I didn't and didn't feel guilty.
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ahdew6dhlhtb.jpg

These quiche make great party food. They freeze beautifully – perfect for future brunches or unexpected lunch guests – and are small in size but big in flavor.
    Ingredients

4 spray(s)cooking spray
    2 small uncooked zucchini, finely chopped
    1 large uncooked onion(s), finely chopped
    1 cup(s)shredded Parmesan cheese, about 3 oz
    6 large egg(s)
    1⁄2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
    1⁄4 cup(s) basil, fresh, finely chopped
    3 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1⁄2 tsp black pepper

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat two 24-hole nonstick mini muffin pans with cooking spray (or use just one pan and cook in two batches).

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon egg mixture into each prepared hole, making sure to stir mixture in bowl after filling each one.

Bake until bottoms are golden brown and quiche are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove pan(s) from oven and let quiche cool for a few minutes in pan(s); remove quiche to a wire rack to cool more (and repeat with remaining ingredients if necessary). Yields 1 quiche per serving.

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,909 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Today is going to be a long day for me, I got up at 4:30 am and have to work 6:30-3, then fight traffic to come home pick up my husband and fight traffic to go back to near my work for a work party. :( This kind of thing doesn't happen very often and it isn't required, I have to remember that, I am choosing to go. But then I have to work at 6:30 the next morning so I'm going to feel pretty lousy. I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

@cbabie it sounds like your body needed the sleep. Take care of yourself, you can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself first, right? You are right about me--- I did good with boundaries. I don't do so well with goals though, if I have a goal, it freaks me out, especially if I put a deadline on it. It totally sabotages me...especially weight goals. Those mini quiches look delicious, thanks for sharing!

@HappyBride917 I think most people don't touch those exercise calories, as they tend to be inflated numbers.

@mysticlizard oh no! Take care of yourself, hopefully Thursday comes soon.

@theslightedgeforever yeah, but it's only for 30 days...I've got to decide what to do after the 30 days. I'm thinking about it now.
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Hi all,

Just checking in. Good to see everyone. I am the walking dead. I hope everyone has a good Tuesday. <3

January Goals
    1. Log all food 23 out of 31 days Under calories 13 of 31 days Over calories 10 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    3. Managing stress 15 out of 31 days

I am being purposeful in my daily actions to become the healthy active balanced person that I want to be.
  • theslightedgeforever
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like watching her updates each week as she tells what she learned in the meetings. I subscribe to her channel Let's get fit. I love how down to earth she is.

https://youtu.be/APMNojsryaI?list=PLotciwu13pympuBvNte5ZWt9E96kqjYPp
  • rickweinberg
    rickweinberg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    All is well here. Had a tough time getting out of bed to go to work today. I could have slept for 3 more hours. I'm so thrilled with my progress. I weighed in yesterday and I'd lost 3 pounds. I feel good and I can tell the confidence is coming back.

There was a time when I was not good at writing goals. I too would make goals that would destin me to fail. Here is an example. Get down to my goal weight (200lbs) by Memorial Day. This goal would cause me to fail. This kind of failure would cause 2 steps backwards. The above goal had a lofty achievement and a deadline. This goal now sounds different. This winter I weighed 227. My first goal was to get below 220, which I achieved yesterday (1/23/17.) I am celebrating this goal too. I bought myself a book for my achievement. Now my new goal is to break 215. No deadline pressure. Just a "I will get there" attitude.

@theslightedgeforever It is hard to admit when we struggle. I agree. I'm not suggesting that changing our language is the only key to success. But I, instead of using "struggle," I use the word challenge or adventure. Also if it is some think that I "stink at" like knitting, I call it an "emerging skill." I think this is what WW calls reframing.

@trooworld I hope you make it through today with little trouble. Your day is long. I have a long one tonight too. Board Meeting tonight. 6:30 to 8:30. I got to work at 8 and will not be home till 9:30 tonight. Board Meeting only happen once a month.

@mysticlizard I know you can make it to Thursday, even with that cold. Boy, sickness is going around. I'm hoping by the time you read this you are feeling better than last night. Good luck to the child enduring finals week.

@HappyBride917 I think you have it right about exercise calories in MFP. I actually eat most of my exercise calories. But, in theory, if you don't eat them you should lose more with more quickly. Last week I ate most of my exercise calories and still lost more than the pound a week I was planning.

Sorry if I missed anyone. Have a great Tuesday/Wednesday. The winter weather has hit us again. Stay safe, healthy and warm.
    Rick
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    cbabie Those quiche look good, Plus they are freezer ready and I could see myself eating them for breakfast.

trooworld I have the same problems with goals. I think I look at it like an expectation. I was the kid in class who got mad if I got a B and not an A.

mysticlizard At least you are walking ;) Almost Thursday.

rickweinberg Woohoo on hitting your first goal. I can see how reframing works. I will work on that. I did not want to exercise tonight and dh beat me to the treadmill. I did talk myself into a Leslie Sansone youtube video and said do one mile. That's progress from the night before.

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    ojnd61ad1eb5.jpg

Rickweinberg
  • cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Morning:

I have to admit, I am tired and want to go back to bed. I might, we don't remember how mental pressure effects our body. I feel like I am always on the run right now. Not exercising and still fasting. Sunday is when I can eat whatever I want and a cheeseburger sounds really good.LOL

I see all the post and I did check out the you tube link. I think we are all making our way!!!

@rickweinberg congrats on the loss!! great job. I like your positive!
    @theslightedgeforever thanks for sharing the you tube. I did subscribe so when things in my life balance out, I will still watch her.
    @mysticlizard hope you feel better soon..that stuff is nasty!!!
    @trooworld I do better with boundaries too, like I am on a fast right now and KNOW I can't have anything but what I have chosen to eat on this fast. So maybe, you could choose calories, maybe no sugar, I don't know, but it seems to me we have to have specifics. :) Great job on keeping your commitment. Hope your night doesn't wear you out too much. That was my day yesterday and yes I am tired.

okay gotta run and do life.

cbabie
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all! Well, I didn't do perfectly last night: I had a mini sandwich that had bread, cheese and some kind of sauce, and I had a couple of cubes of cheese, and some steak in a peanut sauce. All of these things are out on the Whole30 plan. But I could have done much worse, I had no wine, no cake, no sweets. Still, according to the rules of the Whole30 plan, this means I should start over. But I'm not going to. I think it's ok to have this little bit of eating off plan just this once. My husband did perfectly and feels pretty smug! lol But I had this: "Chris, I brought this because I know you love these sandwiches!" and "Chris, you've got to try this steak, it's amazing. Did you try it yet?" I couldn't say no.

@rickweinberg congrats on the loss! That's how I am about weight goals...the minute I set them, the sabotage starts. I'm glad you found a goal method that works. Oh man, that is a long day! I hope YOU made it through your day.

@theslightedgeforever yep, as a college student that's how I was.

@cbabie that is a good idea, I definitely do better with boundaries.
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    Hello All,
    Today I've been very tired. I know that there is a chemical that is released when you are tired that makes you want to eat more. I think it is called Cortisol. I much more hungry today but I'm still within my calories. I'm headed to Yoga. I was/am unmotivated to go but when I got home from work I made sure that I put my gym clothes on. Now I have no excuse. I was also very unproductive at work today. I had a school board meeting last night and the long day made me tired. We are kinda getting used to the hot water and how there is less of it with this now heating system. My son's real license came today. He really is a good driver. He wanted to get his license much sooner but we made him drive on his learners permit for a whole year. I think this really helped him become a good driver. The daughter's grades are not to good. She will probably be ground for 4 weeks. I think we get report cards on Feb 1st. That is all for now.

Peace out everyone,
    Rick
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Hi everyone,

The oldest daughter is out of her group home and into her first own apartment. Of course it snowed hard while we were moving everything. The younger girls had a two hour late start that jammed up their finals schedule. I am still sick as a dog. Tomorrow I have meetings so on Friday I am hoping to crawl into bed and rest. By then I will probably start feeling better.

Rick - I have a jr. and sr. at home. We had our kids drive for a year before letting them get their licenses too. I really think they need those four seasons of practice. My youngest has poor grades too. Every one of the kids went through that phase. It is nice when they turn the corner and become human again lol. I am sorry it was a low energy day for you. But you went to yoga anyway so that is a victory, way to go!

Trooworld - I think picking up where you left off is sensible. Even my son who is a vegan eats meat once in awhile in a social situation. It sounds like you were very mindful in your choices.

Gemwolf110 - I hope you are having a wonderful time off.

Cbabie - Hang in there and be good to yourself. I hope your dad is doing better.

Everyone else, Hi! I am thinking of you, I just don't have the energy to write more.

I hope everyone has a good Thursday. <3

Liz

January Goals
    1. Log all food 23 out of 31 days Under calories 13 of 31 days Over calories 10 of 31 days Protein goal 6 of 31 days
    3. Managing stress 15 out of 31 days

• theslightedgeforever
    Options
    cbabie Boundaries I'm a boundary person but yet also a rebel. You can't keep me inside the fence for too long. I just finished up a monthly plan that actually combines two different "plans" that I've had success with in the past. 20/20 and Shred. I'm good for about 2-3 weeks on these plans but then ahhhhhh I can't take it any longer. Plus mixing in real life which means lots of socializing and there's always food to deal with. I actually do better out than at home. I made it by day of the month so if it's the 10th of the month I'm following day 10. Whatever plan that may be. If bookclub comes into the mix, I will follow the plan for the day and then make as good of choices as I can for bookclub. I do hope you find some time to rest. How's your dad?

trooworld Whether you get a 99 or a 100 like your husband did, it's still the same grade. An A. Good for you. Look how many days you have followed the plan. Much better than the months before. If you were on a trip and took a detour to go look at some scenery, you wouldn't go back home and start your trip over. Just pull back on the road and continue to your destination.

rickweinberg Sounds like stresses of life are getting to you. Can you find some me time in there somewhere. Congrats on the license and empathy for the grades. I remember those days. Just like we are challenged on this journey, sounds like she is being challenged on her education journey.

mysticlizard Friday is almost here. Then I pray lots of rest for you. I'm glad your dd is moved and that's one less thing for you to worry about. I'm getting excited. My dd is coming for a visit on the 31st. I haven't seen her since last May.

I exercised tonight on the treadmill for 30 min. That's more than I did the night before. So I'm getting better and will conquer this.
  • cathyfalcone9819
    cathyfalcone9819 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's inspiring. I'm retiring in about 9 to 10 weeks. There's lots to do but it's scary and I've been stress eating but today it stops. I've got my protein shake if I get jittery.
  • HappyBride917
    HappyBride917 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday Everyone! :)

I've been reading the boards but haven't had a chance to write to anyone yet. I'm doing just okay with calorie counting so far. If I'm being honest with myself, my tracking has been for 8 days, but Wednesday was the first day that I've been honest with tracking and made the effort to stay within my goals. I keep having this back and forth in my mind about staying here or going back to WW. It's like they have a hold on me! I truly believe that staying here will help me eat less processed food and make better choices that I won't feel guilty about. But I just can't get WW out of my head!
    My goal for the past couple of weeks was to do C25K Mon, Wed, and Fri and to do Bodypump on Tues, and Thurs. So a half hour of working out per day. And so far this week...I've done it!!! Tomorrow I have to do C25K once more and my weekly goal is accomplished! It feels really great!

@rickweinberg congrats on your loss! And on that new driver! My step brother got his license a few months back, he doesn't drive often but he's pretty good at it!

@tooworld nice job not eating any sweets! That is my downfall for sure! I love candy, cookies, and cakes! How is the Whole 30 going? I've heard of it but never tried it.

@mysticlizard moving in the snow is awful! I'm glad you got through it. We had to move my cousin in the snow once and it was not fun! I love your goals in your posts, that's such a good idea!

@theslightedgeforever nice job hopping on the treadmill last night! I did the same thing. I meant to complete C25K and I did, but I was having fun so I kept going for another 20 minutes! Never thought I'd say that!

Have a wonderful day everyone! ❤️
  • mmcjtink
    mmcjtink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Rick- yay for going to yoga!!! I just started going to yoga. I go once a week and I'm really enjoying it.

Mystic lizard- I hope you feel better soon!!

The slightedgeforever- good for you!!! That's a victory

Cathyfalcone- congrats on retiring!!

Happybride917- I felt the same way ww or mfp. I did ww years ago and it worked for me. I love mfp so I'm doing both. I do the smart points. It's working well for me. I'm also setting goals. Nothing huge but it feels great when you can get through the week and accomplish them!! Good luck to you!

Trooworld- good for you staying away from the sweets! That's hard but your right it could be worse

Cabbie- hang in there you have so much on your plate!!! Enjoy that cheeseburger you deserve it!!!

As for me I have had a good week so far. Trained on mon and tues did yoga on wed and making myself hit the gym alone tonight. I'm tired and don't have a lot of energy but I know when I'm done I will feel good. I've done good with logging and staying where I need to be. I set 2 goals for myself this week and so far I'm holding strong with them 1) stay off the scale. I know that getting on a lot helps some but for me not so much. 2). Drink more water!!!! I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!
  • trooworld
    Options
    Hi all. Well, day 20 of Whole30 and I ended up in the ER last night. Here's what happened: I was sleeping and at 11pm, I woke up from a dead sleep with upper abdominal pain, severe. I called the nurse line and she said I should go to the ER so I did. We were there from 12:30-4:30am. They did some tests and determined I was really full of poop! Yep. So they gave me a powerful laxative to take and I went home. I slept a couple of hours and then went to work. I work, in traffic, about 45 mins away from home. I realized it was a mistake to have taken that chance. Nothing happened, but I felt miserable at work having stomach pains terrible, so I left two hours later and had to drive home and feel bad the whole time. I can only assume this is from the change in diet, as well as not eating beans and grains. I'm going to stick out the Whole30 but it definitely doesn't have me leaning towards going paleo anymore! I'm better now, my stomach pains have subsided after a 3 hour nap.

@mysticlizard and @theslightedgeforever thank you. You are right, I shouldn't beat myself up about it. It's day 20 and I've gone 19 3/4 days without the stuff I'm not supposed to have. And I honestly didn't have much.

@HappyBride917 lol I know what you mean. For a long time, I would quit and go back, quit and go back. Who knows, I may still go back! It's a great program, it's just out of my budget right now. I also do BodyPump, on Saturdays. I love it.Congrats on doing your exercise! The Whole30 is going well except I ended up in the ER last night (see above).

@mmcjtink you are doing fantastic!
  • rickweinberg
    Options
    Thank you. It's inspiring. I'm retiring in about 9 to 10 weeks. There's lots to do but it's scary and I've been stress eating but today it stops. I've got my protein shake if I get jittery.

Today is the day you draw a line in the sand. We are here to help.