Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Basic human physiology & nutrition in schools

rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
Should a greater emphasis be put on basic physiology and nutrition to be taught in schools. With some of the things you see people ask around here, it seems that a lot could be accomplished with teaching people the basics about carbs, protein & fat and how the body processes the food that you eat. Maybe it would head off much of the bro science and other info-mercial nonsense that is believed.

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    The question is are there enough teachers qualified to teach it? It would be great if we could pipe in Alan Aragon and Eric Helms, but I'm afraid we'd get more of the Food Babe approach. My wife and I are teaching our children just fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    I think nutrition is better taught at home, but given the widespread nutritional misconceptions today, it might be a good idea to teach it in school. But I fear school boards would be in for a world of controversy from parents that think they know better than whatever nutrition curriculum was introduced. It would be almost as bad as if they chose to teach religion.

This is true.

I also do think they teach the basics already, and people just don't retain it. I mean, OP says: "With some of the things you see people ask around here," which is, admittedly, a thought I've had too, as some of the questions and claims and sources identified as supposedly reliable amaze me, but people are taught math and history and US government (well, in the US) and research and such, and yet I'd bet if you asked the same people about some of those topics they'd not demonstrate perfect retention. The population as a whole certainly does not score all that well on such things.

Sigh, and add this to my extremely long list of things that are making me depressed about the world today!
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think nutrition is better taught at home, but given the widespread nutritional misconceptions today, it might be a good idea to teach it in school. But I fear school boards would be in for a world of controversy from parents that think they know better than whatever nutrition curriculum was introduced. It would be almost as bad as if they chose to teach religion.

This is true.

I also do think they teach the basics already, and people just don't retain it. I mean, OP says: "With some of the things you see people ask around here," which is, admittedly, a thought I've had too, as some of the questions and claims and sources identified as supposedly reliable amaze me, but people are taught math and history and US government (well, in the US) and research and such, and yet I'd bet if you asked the same people about some of those topics they'd not demonstrate perfect retention. The population as a whole certainly does not score all that well on such things.

Sigh, and add this to my extremely long list of things that are making me depressed about the world today!

A big part of that lack of retention, is just lack of use and practice. For example, teaching children nutrition at a young age isn't going to do much, if their intake is completely handled (but never explained) by their parents. By the time they are functioning adults, they likely have habits formed that have absolutely nothing to do with science of any sort. It's the same thing with various aspects of math, history and the English language. If you never actually use the information beyond the final test, the brain is eventually going to flush it away as useless.

This is very true.

Personally, I believe that nutrition/fitness are better taught at home. That said, if we want kids being educated in it at school, there needs to be practical application of it - calories/macros put on display at meals/snacks (heck, even used in math problems), physical fitness taught every day, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    Nutrition/fitness is better taught at home when the parents know about it and bother to teach it. We learned some stuff about the 4 food groups at school (I'm old), but my innate understanding of what's a sensible meal and what's not comes from habits ingrained at home, I think (plus some stuff I read on my own and expanding the basic cooking skills I learned at home with sensible cook books until I knew what I was doing without them). I think that's ideal. But from what I see (especially since coming to MFP), there are a lot of parents who don't do it or don't know enough to do it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »

This is true.

A big part of that lack of retention, is just lack of use and practice. For example, teaching children nutrition at a young age isn't going to do much, if their intake is completely handled (but never explained) by their parents. By the time they are functioning adults, they likely have habits formed that have absolutely nothing to do with science of any sort. It's the same thing with various aspects of math, history and the English language. If you never actually use the information beyond the final test, the brain is eventually going to flush it away as useless.

This is very true.

Personally, I believe that nutrition/fitness are better taught at home. That said, if we want kids being educated in it at school, there needs to be practical application of it - calories/macros put on display at meals/snacks (heck, even used in math problems), physical fitness taught every day, etc.

Unfortunately, it also becomes a bit of a chicken and egg problem when teaching at home, at some point. Nutrition being taught at home is no more helpful, if the parents haven't the slightest clue about how it works. They don't have the slightest clue, because they don't care enough to learn, or are in denial (anything else is an excuse for an adult, because the information is readily available now). The only thing worse than no information, is bad information.

I honestly have no clue what the solution is. Some people are going to make it a priority to learn these things. Others will go through life not caring, and just eating whatever tastes good. Another subset still, will grow up to believe *kitten* like the things vomited up by Food Babe and Dr. Oz.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »

This is true.

This is very true.

Unfortunately, it also becomes a bit of a chicken and egg problem when teaching at home, at some point. Nutrition being taught at home is no more helpful, if the parents haven't the slightest clue about how it works. They don't have the slightest clue, because they don't care enough to learn, or are in denial (anything else is an excuse for an adult, because the information is readily available now). The only thing worse than no information, is bad information.

I honestly have no clue what the solution is. Some people are going to make it a priority to learn these things. Others will go through life not caring, and just eating whatever tastes good. Another subset still, will grow up to believe *kitten* like the things vomited up by Food Babe and Dr. Oz.

I'd say with the weight problem we have in America, most parents know very little about nutrition.

"Most" is probably a bit of a stretch. Granted, I doubt you are going to find many who have sat down and read the sheer amount of pubmed that a lot of MFP users have, but there seem to be plenty who at least know enough to keep things from getting out of hand.

However, the current trend isn't exactly a pretty one, and in another ten to fifteen years, "most" might be completely appropriate.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2016
    I actually think the issue is less not knowing basic stuff -- people know that eating some chicken, vegetables, and maybe some potato is a better meal (on average) than a consistent diet of mac & cheese or chicken mcnuggets or donuts for dinner (not that I think the latter is common, and I think all of these can be occasionally included in a good overall diet). The reason people don't eat well probably isn't due to lack of knowledge.

The knowledge goes more to why do people fall for all kinds of weird woo claims. And I think that's about not being able to evaluate evidence, and the bias toward believing what you want to believe, as well as the endless hope that there's some easy quick solution.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I think some of what's being taught in schools is also part of the problem, at least from one of the posters I've seen in a local elementary school. It doesn't seem to me as though kids in school are being taught what really constitutes a proper diet.
    I do agree with the idea that this is better suited to be taught at home, but as it's been mentioned that's assuming the parents know and practice eating right. It's one thing to know the general basics, but if parents aren't doing it themselves, chances are the kids won't pick it up either.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    They have no teachers who have a vast knowledge teaching them. Most will just go by the governments food pyramid and tell the kids that it's important they follow it. Even in most elementary schools now, PE is taught by the homeroom teacher, and they have NO EXPERIENCE in physical fitness at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Who gets to set the curriculum? Are you going to teach a paleo diet? Primal? Vegetarian? Vegan? Carnivorous? Ketogenic? LCHF? IIFYM? Moderation? None of those will be right for everyone or even stay right for the individual throughout their life.

I agree with whoever brought up the age it is taught as an issue too. Kids have very little control over their diets beyond what mom and dad offer or what is in the cafeteria or school vending machines.

It would be like teaching a musical instrument but never letting them handle the instrument.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

This is true.

Yep you'd be right. Study is a few years old, but probably still relevant, 2/3 of the US adult population can't name one Supreme Court Justice.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/08/20/most-americans-cant-name-a-u-s-supreme-court-justice-survey-says/

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    One diet or the other isn't as important IMHO as teaching about " portion control" in fact, many ppl here have said they were shocked by true and accurate measuring and weighing of the actual amounts of food.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Considering the amount of absolutely ludicrous and health and weight loss claims I'm constantly hearing people come out with and believing ...yes I think it should be compulsory. It's clear when people believe drinking green tea will make them skinny that their education has failed them....that or their intelligence.