Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Basic human physiology & nutrition in schools

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    They have no teachers who have a vast knowledge teaching them. Most will just go by the governments food pyramid and tell the kids that it's important they follow it. Even in most elementary schools now, PE is taught by the homeroom teacher, and they have NO EXPERIENCE in physical fitness at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The problem with PE in the schools is we have gotten too politically correct to make the kids actually put in some effort. Growing up, we ran laps and if we walked we had to run extra. Now, you go by a school and the kids are strolling around the track, if not stopping to talk or look at their phones.

If a teacher actually makes them put in some effort, kids complain to the parents who are in the principal's office demand the "mean" PE teacher be fired.

Yes it does happen.

What is wrong with walking around a track? Walking is good exercise.

Nothing wrong with walking as done at a brisk pace for exercise. Much too often you see kids slowly strolling, stopping looking at phones, etc.

So in their case not real effective.

I look at my phone while walking. Helps to pass the time. ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    They have no teachers who have a vast knowledge teaching them. Most will just go by the governments food pyramid and tell the kids that it's important they follow it. Even in most elementary schools now, PE is taught by the homeroom teacher, and they have NO EXPERIENCE in physical fitness at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The problem with PE in the schools is we have gotten too politically correct to make the kids actually put in some effort. Growing up, we ran laps and if we walked we had to run extra. Now, you go by a school and the kids are strolling around the track, if not stopping to talk or look at their phones.

If a teacher actually makes them put in some effort, kids complain to the parents who are in the principal's office demand the "mean" PE teacher be fired.

Yes it does happen.

Nothing wrong with walking as done at a brisk pace for exercise. Much too often you see kids slowly strolling, stopping looking at phones, etc.

I'm guessing anyone walking for purposeful exercise is walking faster than the typical gym class is.
  • Packerjohn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't need the government "educating" (if you can even call it that) my future kids about food. Hell, I would prefer that they stick to the education basics (math, science, writing etc.) and leave the rest to their mother and myself.

Good idea in theory, but remember 70% of the US is overweight/obese and no state has more that 30% of the population eating 3 vegetables a day. You have to wonder about the parent's ability to educate.

It needs to be a school/parent team. Maybe a requirement for kids going into kindergarten would be the parents take a basic nutrition class?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    PE is a whole 'nother ball of wax. The majority of adults I have met who claim to "hate" exercise also have horror stories about PE. PE is good for the kids that are athletic but it can be torture for the kids who aren't. PE should be about getting kids to like exercise, not about new ways to bully the kids who don't like sports.

One of the problems with PE classes from my old memories is they were boring; they were designed to be easy to grade and screw actually doing things that are useful.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    PE is a whole 'nother ball of wax. The majority of adults I have met who claim to "hate" exercise also have horror stories about PE. PE is good for the kids that are athletic but it can be torture for the kids who aren't. PE should be about getting kids to like exercise, not about new ways to bully the kids who don't like sports.

One of the problems with PE classes from my old memories is they were boring; they were designed to be easy to grade and screw actually doing things that are useful.

Pretty much this. The only time I ever actually participated in PE as a kid, was during the "Presidential Tests" for things like pullups, pushups, and situps. Any other time, I just refused to change into my uniform and got to spend the class on the bleachers, reading a book, for my efforts.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Pretty much this. The only time I ever actually participated in PE as a kid, was during the "Presidential Tests" for things like pullups, pushups, and situps. Any other time, I just refused to change into my uniform and got to spend the class on the bleachers, reading a book, for my efforts.

If I was the teacher, unless there was a medial excuse not to dress, the kids would dress. If they refused, they would have a detention, get points taken off for the class, sent to the office or whatever was the school's policy.

The kids should not be running the school.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

If I was the teacher, unless there was a medial excuse not to dress, the kids would dress. If they refused, they would have a detention, get points taken off for the class, sent to the office or whatever was the school's policy.

Oh yeah, no, I failed the class miserably and didn't care.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Oh yeah, no, I failed the class miserably and didn't care.

Okay, that's fair, the school did what they should have and you accepted the consequences.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

In my PE class they decided on a sport, set it up and threw you a ball. I hated playing sports. I was bad at it and didn't care if I hit or caught the ball. I loved to walk and did lots of it, but walking was not good enough. So I dressed, but mostly stood there, got my grade and left. A lot of kids felt humiliated by gym class and took the bad grades, refusing to dress.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

No, the kids shouldn't be running things. However, if the purpose of PE is to teach kids to be active, they need to focus on a variety of activities, rather than certain sports that only a few can or will excel at. In my experience, the kids who did well at sports in PE already played them outside of class. I could never really see the point of playing it in class as well. The kids who didn't do well at sports were subjected to harassment and bullying, sometimes by the teachers themselves, and grew up to hate exercise.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options

No, the kids shouldn't be running things. However, if the purpose of PE is to teach kids to be active, they need to focus on a variety of activities, rather than certain sports that only a few can or will excel at. In my experience, the kids who did well at sports in PE already played them outside of class. I could never really see the point of playing it in class as well. The kids who didn't do well at sports were subjected to harassment and bullying, sometimes by the teachers themselves, and grew up to hate exercise.

Yeap. If they'd have let me use the "football players only" weight room during gym class, instead of stupid *kitten* like volleyball, soccer, the electric slide, and dodgeball, I'd have been all up in it, and probably would have been completely jacked by graduation day, instead of the lazy, fat piece of *kitten* that I was. Dem teenager test levels.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Teaching kids effective research methods, data analysis, and critical thinking would be extremely helpful preparation for their future challenges, nutritional and otherwise. It's the old "give a man a fish" versus "teach a man to fish".
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Teaching kids effective research methods, data analysis, and critical thinking would be extremely helpful preparation for their future challenges, nutritional and otherwise. It's the old "give a man a fish" versus "teach a man to fish".

Very true. Given that the science of nutrition and exercise are ever evolving (sometimes in the wrong direction, sometimes not), it would be immensely helpful to teach people to separate the good information from the *kitten*. Unfortunately, critical thought hasn't been on the public school agenda for a long time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes it does happen.

Me too, i save the big debate threads for when i'm walking. I have however broken 2 toes while getting the walking/reading down pat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes it does happen.

Me too, i save the big debate threads for when i'm walking. I have however broken 2 toes while getting the walking/reading down pat.

Luckily, with me working at night, I am often near big empty parking lots that I can just stroll around while reading. Peripheral vision does have to be acknowledged though, as there are *kitten* who like to come tearing through parking lots at 60 mph in the middle of the night, assuming no one's in it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Gallow can you type and speed walk? Someone asked me why so many of my posts are edited, trying to type and walk fast, especially when it's bright and sunny outside is quite the feat lol Some of my posts come out a jumbled mess :flushed:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Gallow can you type and speed walk? Someone asked me why so many of my posts are edited, trying to type and walk fast, especially when it's bright and sunny outside is quite the feat lol Some of my posts come out a jumbled mess :flushed:

Kinda. However, I am heavily impaired by the fact that I am still using an iPhone 5s with a screen cracked all to hell, and have fat thumbs.