Cauliflower "Alfredo" Sauce - LIFE CHANGING.

lizreed12
lizreed12 Posts: 11 Member
When was the last time you had a big plate of rich, creamy pasta alfredo for under 400 calories? Never? Well then gather round, children!

I love pasta. And all other carbs. And anything made with cream and butter and flour! I was so happy to discover a way to enjoy the taste of these things without the 1,200 calorie bill. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer! I served the sauce over whole wheat penne with broccoli. I would have added chicken but I was feeling pretty lazy. Now, if you are REALLY trying to make your calories stretch as much as possible, you can omit the olive oil and parmesan cheese, but I wanted it to taste more like true alfredo sauce and less like pureed cauliflower... so I bit the bullet, and trust me: it really does make all the difference!

*THIS RECIPE WAS PICKY HUSBAND APPROVED!*

1/2 head cauliflower (about 4 cups florets)
3/4 c broth (I used chicken)
1/4-1/2 c milk (depending on how thick and creamy you prefer)
1 T EVOO
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1 clove minced garlic (sauteed) OR 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder (or chopped onion)
Parsley flakes to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil the cauliflower for 10 minutes until tender (I boiled it in broth for maximum flavor absorption :)), then transfer cauliflower to blender or food processor. Add broth and blend until very smooth. Add milk until desired consistency is reached. Add olive oil, cheese, garlic, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Blend to combine. Serve hot.

Makes about 3 cups, the perfect amount for one box of pasta. Sauce freezes and thaws well. When reheating leftovers, add a few drops of milk and stir to make it creamy again... it tends to get a little dry over night.

This sauce is also a wonder base for casseroles and makes a wonderful addition to many other recipes! I think cauliflower is my new best friend.

When I made the sauce, it came out to 60 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Much better than alfredo sauce which has 500 calories per 1/2 cup serving!

Enjoy!

Replies

• lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    bump
  • cicibeanz
    cicibeanz Posts: 77 Member
    Sounds awesome. Thanks!
  • jgarrett731
    jgarrett731 Posts: 36 Member
    I'll have to try this! I'm always looking for 'picky husband approved' recipes! lol
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Gotta try this. Thanks for sharing!
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    I am totally making this tonight!!! Thank you so much
  • TammTammS
    TammTammS Posts: 55 Member
    bump
  • Jenilee86
    Jenilee86 Posts: 3
    This might be a silly question, but what is EVOO?
  • lizreed12
    lizreed12 Posts: 11 Member
    This might be a silly question, but what is EVOO?

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Sorry, should have been more clear!
  • bump!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    No.

If I want alfredo. I am eating the alfredo. Cauliflower is not and never will be a good substitute for anything.... EVER.
  • msfine2328
    msfine2328 Posts: 73 Member
    EVOO= Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    What is bump?
    And I cant wait to try this. My DP loves pasta and alfredo and it drives me nuts because it so heavy. And he can afford to eat like that, not me
  • mistyblu13
    mistyblu13 Posts: 71 Member
    this looks really good!!! I will have to try it soon as I get some brown rice pasta back in the house:)
  • thenoxus1
    thenoxus1 Posts: 56 Member
    bump
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    No.

If I want alfredo. I am eating the alfredo. Cauliflower is not and never will be a good substitute for anything.... EVER.

i'm the one who peed in your cheerios, sowwwry
  • naydene_w
    naydene_w Posts: 18
    Funny. Caulifower must be the sub for things lately. This looks good, and tonight my daughter is going to make cauliflower tortillas from pinterest. We love alfredo stuff, so definitely going to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    BRILLIANT! I heart you! :heart:
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Bumping! Yum
  • BaackOnIt
    BaackOnIt Posts: 26 Member
    bump!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Wow, that actually sounds very yummy!